Glock Forum - GlockTalk banner
1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Banned
407 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
One of the new features on the Gen 5 Glocks is the finish on the slide. The result is that the slide is noticeably a deeper, and richer black, which in turn makes it "not match" the frame's black color. That may bother some, others like me, are "meh, who cares." Below the description of the finish are photos of the slides of a Gen 5 Glock 17 and a Gen 3 Glock 17, both new and unfired. Also the barrels.
  • nDLC finish for barrel and slide – GLOCK‘s nDLC provides tougher, more durable protection than previously used finish. The nDLC finish is exclusive to the GLOCK manufacturing process. The nDLC finish increases protection against corrosion and scratching and improves the ability of the pistol to function in degreased or adverse conditions. The nDLC finish will be exclusive to Gen5 pistols at this time.

·
Lean & Mean
15,628 Posts
Time will tell if the new finish is an improvement over the previous one.

·
Registered
61 Posts
For those who have examined both, how do they compare (appearance, friction, durability, etc.)? Are they the same finish? I have a couple of the the older frying pan finish guns and although they are a bit slippery, they hold up extremely well.

·
Banned
6,833 Posts
GLOCK‘s nDLC provides tougher, more durable protection than previously used finish. The nDLC finish is exclusive to the GLOCK Gen5 models. The nDLC finish increases protection against corrosion and scratching and improves the ability of the pistol to function in adverse conditions.
Golly, OP...Glock's websites have blatantly plagiarized your personal Gen5 observations above, word for word! :)

·
Registered
95 Posts
just a heads up. renaming the thread will give a 'thread not found' when viewing a reply email.

·
Glock pistols designed by Gaston Glock , Austria
765 Posts
I wish they would used the new "Frying pan" NDLC finish on all GLOCKS

they should use it on all Gen 3, Gen 4 as well

·
Registered
2,208 Posts
I have 3 gen 4 Glock's manufactured in 2016 and 2017 and the finish has been holding up well. The 2017 gen 4 G19 is more than acceptable. It maybe that I use leather holsters instead of kydex. The finishes on 2012 and 2014 were real crap but lately I have no complaints.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reactions: Buckshot Barry

·
Registered
4 Posts
So I have managed to already nick up the nDLC finish on my Gen 5's surface. I am a little bit upset about it. It took a fall onto a smooth tile floor from about 2-3 feet during an accidental drop test (**** me, right??) less than a week of owning it.

I had also dropped my Gen 3 only once onto a concrete driveway, and it had no discernible marks or scratches after a wipe with a rag. I am a bit disappointed about the fact that this new nDLC finish couldn't even handle a slight drop.....

Anyone have any words of consolation or suggestions?? Its a BRAND NEW pistol and it sucks that I had to drop it. As one can imagine, I don't go around dropping my carry pistol, has only happened to me twice in my own home in 10+ years and the new finish seemingly couldn't handle it..... :(:(:(:(:(:(

·
Registered
1,117 Posts
A
So I have managed to already nick up the nDLC finish on my Gen 5's surface. I am a little bit upset about it. It took a fall onto a smooth tile floor from about 2-3 feet during an accidental drop test (**** me, right??) less than a week of owning it.

I had also dropped my Gen 3 only once onto a concrete driveway, and it had no discernible marks or scratches after a wipe with a rag. I am a bit disappointed about the fact that this new nDLC finish couldn't even handle a slight drop.....

Anyone have any words of consolation or suggestions?? Its a BRAND NEW pistol and it sucks that I had to drop it. As one can imagine, I don't go around dropping my carry pistol, has only happened to me twice in my own home in 10+ years and the new finish seemingly couldn't handle it..... :(:(:(:(:(:(
If it is any consolation, at least you didn't drop a P320.

·
Registered
116 Posts
Comparing the nDLC to the old frying pan finish, the old finish is slightly slicker and more porous. Both seem to be very prone to fingerprints, but said prints are easily removed with a swipe of the finger. Both finishes are "blacker" than the frame when held to the light at certain angles. Both seem to be very durable (at least so far). My Gen 3 17, 19, and 26 had finishes that were as good as the day I bought them in 2008. The 17 and 19 Gen 5's have no marks so far, even after a few trips to the range and (at least with the G19) several holsterings with kydex rigs. In fact, the kydex on a brand new Bravo Concealment holster left what looked like a mark on my 19, which rubbed off easily (it was kydex being scrapped off, not a mark on the finish). My G43, bought new as soon as it was released, had noticible wear from a kydex holster after a single draw. If I could confirm that sending my G43 slide back to Glock for refinishing would result in getting it back with the nDLC, I'd send it off today.

·
Registered
468 Posts
I have an semi-early Gen4 19 with a perfect frying pan finish even after holstering a ton. My 43 looks pretty worn and it's only about 2 years old. I like it though. Like stated in another thread, it tells a story. I'm thinking I'm going to get a new Gen4 19 for major holster duty and keep the old one with the frying pan finish in good shape. I like it too much.

·
Registered
5,911 Posts

Uhmmm, okay. It is a gun, a Glock specifically, it should show wear, scratches, etc. If you are worrying about stuff like that, you aren't shooting it. Shoot more, worry less.

Reactions: skyboss_4evr

·
Registered
3,428 Posts
If I could confirm that sending my G43 slide back to Glock for refinishing would result in getting it back with the nDLC, I'd send it off today.
Yeah, if we knew we would get the new nDLC, I'd send a couple of my slides in. I'm going to contact them and check it out.

·
Registered
2,208 Posts
I have a 2009 29sf, 2010 G23Gen4, and a 2011 G27 with the frying pan finish showing some wear but not a scratch on them. I like a gun that you can Holster in Kydex and not look like it’s been abused.

·
Registered
1,358 Posts
I guess I'm one of the few who cares about the finish. I like the way they look when they have been carried a lot and worn in. A little silver around the edges never hurt anything.

·
NRA Member
791 Posts
The problem I have had with the Gen 4 finish on my carry guns is it is prone to scratches. I don’t mind holster wear but scratches in the slide finish bothers me. Just the other day I was in a hurry and I grabbed my holstered Gen 4 26 in the same hand as my keys. One key gouged a scratch in the finish of the rear of the slide. So for the umpteenth time I had to do scratch removal and apply the black oxide treatment to the slide. G26 is back to looking good but the durability of the finish leaves a lot to be desired.

1 - 20 of 38 Posts