NBC masks

Discussion in 'Survival/Preparedness Forum' started by DocCasualty, Feb 22, 2020.

1. DocCasualty

DocCasualty Wolverine

Somebody on a recent thread mentioned wearing an Israeli gas mask to work until his boss told him to take it off. I think it was mostly to create awareness in the work environment about the current coronavirus concerns. This made me wonder though, do Type 80 NBC filters filter viruses?

I started to research this online and thus far haven’t found an answer. Anybody know?

2. walkinguf61

walkinguf61

The quick answer is yes. It is effective in most atmospheres, but it’s not a level A or B where one provides one’s own air. It’s more than micron of the virus vs the filter.

From the training I have received, a gas mask in most cases is very effective.

DocCasualty likes this.

3. DocCasualty

DocCasualty Wolverine

Thanks, that’s helpful!

4. Onkel Walther

Onkel Walther

When I remeber my training (almost 30 years ago), viruses need a substratum to travel with (dust, liquids, aerosols) and the NBC filter will hold this substratum.
    So as walkinguf61 wrote, the NBC filter isn't a 100% protection, but it provides a high protection level.
    I guess the Israeli filter is according to NATO standards.

Same as civil filters who will hold smallest particle. I don't know the American description for protection standards, but in Europe it is called a P standard.
    So P3 is the highest protection level, P2 might be adequate, P1 is unsafe, concerning viruses.

Just concerning particles: If I remember correctly, in wartime P3 was needed in direct NBC fallout area and at contact with contaminated people and P2 just for travel through contaminated areas (or flee) without direct contact to contaminated people or ground.

P3 and P2 level filters can be found at filters for industrial use to.

Last edited: Feb 25, 2020
    DocCasualty likes this.
  5. DaleGribble

DaleGribble Sandwich!

I found this on the M50...

Suitable Protection Against:
    Arsine, Asbestos, Bacteria, Benzene, Blister Agent, Blood Agent, Bromine, Carbon Dioxide, Carbon Monoxide
    Carbon Tetrachloride, Chlorine, Chlorine Dioxide, Chloroacetophenone (CN), Chloropicrin, o-Chlorobenzylidene Malononitrile (CS)
    Cyanogen, Cyanogen Chloride (CK), Cyclohexane, Fluorine, Formaldehyde, Hydrogen Chloride, Hydrogen Cyanide (AC)
    Hydrogen Sulfide, Lewisite, Mustard (HD), Nerve Agent, Nitrogen Dioxide, Nuisance Dusts, Nuisance Odors, Oleoresin Capsicum (OC, Pepper Gas)
    Organic Vapors w/ Boiling Point >65 Degree C, Particulates, Phosgene, Phosphine, Radioactive Particulates, Sarin (GB), Soman (GD)
    Sulfur Dioxide, Tabun (GA), Toluene, Virus, VX, Xylene

I don't know how long the filters last for virus protection though.

DocCasualty likes this.
  6. JAK464

JAK464

Keep in mind that filters are supposed to be changed after every use. They also retain everything that they were exposed to while in use. This also tends to concentrate anything they were exposed to.

John K

7. DocCasualty

DocCasualty Wolverine

If these filters are only used with concerns of viruses, are expirations dates important? I really have no idea about how they filter and if time on a sealed filter is important in this regard.

BTW, thanks for all the great info!

8. walkinguf61

walkinguf61

Don’t worry so much about experation dates with the filter when it comes to viruses. The filter expiration dates are more about saturation of the filter by the environment and it’s usefulness before its used up. As it gets saturated by the stuff it filters , it gets harder to breath thru it. Even if packaged correctly the filter is still “filtering the air” . It will still work beyond that date but with no guarantees of how long it work in a “chemical “ environment and clog up. Outside of a Hazardous chemical environment a filter will not be saturated in a way one wouldn’t have time to leave the area for a “safe breath of air”

DocCasualty likes this.
  9. Onkel Walther

Onkel Walther

Does anybody know what the CFF3 on french military NBC filters stand for?
    Those filters are 40mm Nato and I guess that it's according to Nato NBC standards, but I'm looking for more informations about this french CFF3.

10. FireForged

FireForged Millenium #3936 Millennium Member

I would be careful where I bought these filters from

11. cbetts1

cbetts1

NBC=Nuclear, Biological and Chemical.
    The company web site. Here is the inside of a filter. If it doesn't stop it, nothing you buy in any store will.
    http://www.shalon.co.il/web/8888/nsf/prolookup.taf?&_id=142787&did=1114&title=m-80
    142787ImageFile4.jpg

Atomic Punk and DocCasualty like this.