Navy Relieves Captain of USS Theodore Roosevelt

Discussion in 'Covid-19 News/Info' started by GeorgiaGlocker, Apr 2, 2020.

1. snerd

snerd Horselover Fat

OXMYX likes this.
  2. snerd

snerd Horselover Fat

3. Ordell Robbie

Ordell Robbie Giant Member

OXMYX likes this.
  4. snerd

snerd Horselover Fat

"If he didn’t think, in my opinion, that this information wasn’t going to get out into the public, in this day and information age that we live in, then he was either A, too naive or too stupid to be a commanding officer of a ship like this," Modly said of Crozier. "The alternative is that he did this on purpose."

“Think about that when you cheer the man of the ship who exposed you to that...I understand you love the guy. It’s good that you love him. But you’re not required to love him,” Modly said, adding the letter penned by Crozier had “sensitive information" regarding the condition of the aircraft carrier.

OXMYX likes this.
  5. Deanster

Deanster Cheese? CLM Millennium Member

"If he didn't know someone in the Navy section of the Pentagon would immediately stab him in the back and release this to the press..."

CAcop, bfg1971 and happyguy like this.
  6. snerd

snerd Horselover Fat

Or........ he really is stupid. In a tactical way.

7. cyberghostx13

cyberghostx13 USMC "The Few The Proud"

It's a war stupid and you should know being a captain, you never break the chain of command. Everyone that joins the military knows that it could cost them their life. Got a little paranoid did ya? How do you think all those Marines felt, and the sailors driving those little landing craft boats, when storming the beaches at Iwo Jima? Captain should have known better. However the Navy needs to have a better filter system in judging true character of who can run a ship during times of war. Dishonorable Discharge. No Pay. Be thankful if you don't end up in the brig for lots of years.

Trademark likes this.
  8. Deanster

Again, if the Navy is giving someone with that little skill and intelligence command of an aircraft carrier, the problem isn't Crozier.

They've decided who is going to take the fall here, and it's nobody wearing stars.

Just like with the 7th Fleet destroyer collisions and cruiser grounding over the last couple years - you know the fix is in when the only people taking hits are line officers. Leadership is supposedly responsible for making sure that everyone involved has the training, skills and judgement to do their jobs.

If someone stupid or naive is in a command slot, by all means, can them.

Then go back and fire or punish everyone who was part of their last two rounds of promotions, everyone involved in assigning them into that slot, and everyone who supervised them in their current slot and failed to recognize what a weak link they had in their chain of command.

9. Deanster

And the same for everyone who signed off on putting him into that slot, sat on his promotion board, or vouched for him along the way.

CAcop and cyberghostx13 like this.
  10. Deanster

Where did you read that he was passed over for flag officer and/or lost an Admiral? I hadn't seen that anywhere - not saying it's not true, but you're quoting them as facts, and I'd like to see where they came from, if you'd be so kind?

Without clear evidence to the contrary, I'd say it's substantially more likely that the Strike Group Commander down the hall was covering his ass than that Crozier lost his mind. CYA is the name of the game, as you suggest - intensely political at that level.

Little surprised that 'he went nuts' is anyone's preferred answer over 'Massive CYA and cover up from his superiors' - Career-saving and cover ups to make sure only the fall guy takes the hit is the primary mode of operation at that level, is my observation, while guys just losing it is uncommon to rare.

Caver 60 likes this.
  11. happyguy

happyguy Man, I'm Pretty

President Trump just said he is going to get involved and see what's going on because, "I don't want to see someone get destroyed because they had a bad dày."

Regards,
    Happyguy :)

12. snerd

snerd Horselover Fat

I don’t disagree with anything you wrote. However, at the end of the day, he compromised the security and battle readiness of a naval aircraft carrier, and the 5000 personnel onboard. I’m sure our enemies loved that little piece of Intel.

Trademark likes this.
  13. Deanster

By sending an email containing only unclassified information over an email meant for unclassified information, exclusively to Pentagon personnel?

Notice nobody seems to be looking for the leaker.

He didn’t make this info public. The fact that the acting SecNav is going after him like this lets you know how important it is to him that only one guy gets all the blame.

Not the leaker, not the people who let this get to the point where Crozier felt sending a mail like that was necessary, not the Rear Admiral... just Crozier.

happyguy likes this.
  14. GeorgiaGlocker

GeorgiaGlocker Romans 10:9

There is no need for name calling. You relieved him of his command. You showed him. But to resort to name calling? That's petty.

15. Trademark

Trademark tabula rasa

Correct.

Captain Steinbrenner likes this.
  16. wjv

wjv RIP Stan Lee.. . .

Well the Captain may have made some poor decisions, but I think the new Acting Sec of Navy is a real Dick. . . His speech to the sailors was rude, crude and irresponsible.

He need to have his butt kicked out of the Navy command structure and given a desk job in the Arctic Circle counting Penguins. (yes I know there are no Penguins in the Polar Arctic region).

blackjack and Deanster like this.
  17. wjv

wjv RIP Stan Lee.. . .

My brother-in-law didn't have the Academy or the War College, but ended up with 2 stars. But he was in the Medical arm of the Navy (MD). So I'm guessing it is a bit different than the commanding a ship path.

At one point he was on the Mercy in San Diego. Before being Admiral he was commander of Fleet Hospital #9 Seattle which had a few hundred doctors, nurses, corpsmen etc. Each of the 9 (actually 8) are completely deploy-able & able to carry out full medical function including surgeries anywhere in the world. They come together in less than a week & set up a complete field hospital in one week.

Last edited: Apr 6, 2020
    G19Tony and Deanster like this.
  18. OXMYX

OXMYX

A shade over age in grade. I'm sure some of his Academy mates have stars.

He'll get his 30 and retire in comfort while cementing himself as a darling of the liberal communists. I see a professorship at Harvard in the future.

19. PhotoFeller

PhotoFeller A swamp dude

I wonder if Trump's statement that he will look into this matter is a mistake or if his interest is the right thing to do. Military 'employee relations' tend to be kept within the family, and officers understand the system. I'm thinking public airing of this kind of officer firing and Commander In Chief intervention might not be well received by the Navy hierarchy. He's (Trump) the CEO, but CEOs make mistakes, too.

Last edited: Apr 7, 2020
  20. OXMYX

OXMYX

You're kidding, right?