Navy Relieves Captain of USS Theodore Roosevelt

Discussion in 'Covid-19 News/Info' started by GeorgiaGlocker, Apr 2, 2020.

1. Webologist

Webologist

Imagine Crozier leading the troops attacking Omaha beach in WWII. (Yeah, I can't either) We would all be speaking German due to his lack of OPSEC...

Dear everybody I know,

I was given orders to do something really scary on June 6, 1944...

Hugs and Kisses
    Crozie

porschedog likes this.
  2. Deanster

Deanster Cheese? CLM Millennium Member

He seems to have done just fine on OPSEC as a pilot, Super Hornet squadron commander, CVN Reagan XO, CO of amphibious command ship Blue Ridge, etc.

Again, there were many many articles showing TR at the dock in Guam for COVID isolation many days before this letter.

Aircraft carrier CO is generally (exclusively?) given to guys who are at the top of the Navy's ratings, who are on a fast track to get stars on their shoulders after their command tour.

Notable that nobody has claimed that he disclosed anything that should have been classified, even at a low level.

vote Republican and willie_pete like this.

3. Webologist

Webologist

I would expect an officer, or any member of our military, to do what they're ordered by their superiors regardless, perhaps after voicing their concerns or objections.

I suspect if Crozier told a member of his crew to do something they didn't agree with, they would do it.

I don't expect they would send an email to 20 or 30 colleagues *****ing about what they were ordered to do and looking for support or empathy.

It's the military, not the high school cheerleading team...

Fred Florist and porschedog like this.
  4. Deanster

5. GeorgiaGlocker

GeorgiaGlocker Romans 10:9

6. OXMYX

OXMYX

Half the sailors in the Navy With CV were infected in Vietnam courtesy of Capt Dumbass.

Court Marshall him so he can have his day in court and explain the thought process behind exposing his crew to CV

The Captains cheerleaders never address the CV, only how great the captain is.

Villuj_idiot, Webologist and snerd like this.
  7. Deanster

If you think he’s the one who gets to make that decision, you’ve never worked anywhere near the military. That’s set up far in advance, many agencies involved from State to DoD and beyond, and particularly when the USG’s official line was ‘it’s no big deal, nothing to worry about’, he’d probably have been fired as an over-reactive wuss.

This is the third or fourth thing you’ve tried to hang on Crozier that’s not actually his call, or where doing what you suggest would have been in contravention of USG/DOD guidance at the time.

I’ll ask again, why do you think Crozier and ONLY Crozier, out of the entire Navy hierarchy and apparatus, should be held responsible for this. The Captain is pretty much God aboard ship, and for the crew on a day to day basis.

But an O-6 is just above chump change at the Pentagon, they’re the rough equivalent of dollar bills - useful in the vending machine, but not really anything valuable in and of itself.

Certainly not making any major policy decisions like cutting off a planned visit to another country where all kinds of activities (part of the ship’s assigned mission, I’ll remind you), have been set up. All the Captain can do there is do what y’all have demanded from the beginning, phone home and follow the orders of his chain of command.

pAZ Ron likes this.
  8. OXMYX

OXMYX

I'll agree with you, he's a chump.

9. ThomasM4

ThomasM4

Never was in the navy the idea being stuck on a ship never appealed to me.
    That out of the way my 1st question is what is the protocol for a ship that has an virus on board and was the Capt following it?
    This is just my experience but if higher ups are not responding to a situation they either ignoring it thinking it will work out or they have no clue WTF to do. To me the captain made himself an easy target so guess what he got it..

10. willie_pete

willie_pete NRA Life Member

I doubt he went to VN on a whim; I suspect he had orders to go there - just like I did.

;)

BTW, the term is court martial.

Deanster, porschedog and billy_56081 like this.
  11. porschedog

porschedog

The Captain violated the chain of command. His boss, an Admiral, has quarters pretty much next door to his. The proper thing to do was pass his concerns to his supervisor, not send an email via an unsecured method that indicated the ship was perhaps not fully capable of her mission.

Bus007 likes this.
  12. Ranger357

Ranger357 Just pixels

Like most here I know nothing about this, but I do know from video he was emotionally cheered by his men leaving the ship, which likely took some guts on their part given the circumstances.

So yeah that outweighs all the nonsense post in a Glocktalk thread to me

Buy hey I did enjoy all the “I’m a spineless little worm who would never endanger my career to protect those under me!” post :flag:

Deanster likes this.
  13. vote Republican

vote Republican White and nerdy Moderator

"During questions, a reporter asked if the other people in Crozier’s chain of command were included on the letter, and Modly admitted that they were, but added that many others were included as well, though he declined to say who the objectionable additional recipients were. Incredulous, a reporter asked, “Is he being relieved because he cc’d too many people?” Modly replied that he was being relieved because, “to me, that demonstrated exceptionally poor judgment.” This pattern was frequently repeated in the press conference: Modly would make a strong initial statement that could be misleading. When pressed on the specifics, he would backtrack to a less-categorical position. The overall impression was that the acting secretary of the Navy was attempting to portray Crozier’s actions more negatively than the facts warranted — he was trying to “fog one by” the reporters, the public, and the sailors he leads."

https://warontherocks.com/2020/04/the-navys-crisis-of-special-trust-and-confidence/

Deanster and Ranger357 like this.
  14. Fred Florist

Fred Florist

Both guys seemed to make to same error, they were carelessly aired out weakness of the Navy in front of people who have not a Need to Know. You'd lose your clearance in a hurry, except when you're a DC politician.

The captain making this equivalent mistake would get dinged in the corporate world as well. As so would the acting Sec. The larger the organization, the least likely people will tolerate this.

15. OttoLoader

OttoLoader

Health of the crew. Likely not able to operate.

16. Deanster

I know what I'd think of a commander or boss who sent a memo about the fundamental safety of his crew to his boss and then sat quietly for several days, taking no action until the chain of command got around to saying no, and then letting the crew know that everything was just fine, have faith in the leadership, it's all ok, business as usual.

17. Deanster

read the article from The War Zone, linked above, published four days prior to the letter. It already says all that. Public knowledge.

18. OttoLoader

OttoLoader

Even so you are not to confirm or deny public published information.

19. OXMYX

OXMYX

Your orders were to berth a ship in a Covid infested swamp?

The guy is an idiot. He is responsible for taking a Task Force offline.

10 years in Miramar.

Webologist and Villuj_idiot like this.