Navy P-3 Orion...

Discussion in 'The Okie Corral' started by Menehune, Mar 30, 2010.

1. Menehune

Menehune

I guess there is an enemy sub in the local river...

Seen three seperate aircraft in the last two days flying around here. Haven't seen one of these in years, not since Hawaii, where there were some stationed. To see one here in central Georgia is a bit unusual.

This one was nice enough to dip his wings for me!

[​IMG]

I'm guessing they are here for some system work, as I know they have been seeing some use in the middle east over land.

Last edited: Mar 30, 2010
  2. engineer151515

engineer151515

A squadron was based at NAS Jacksonville many moons ago (1970-74). They were grey/white back then - wings were not clipped. BEWARE - PROPELLER. hahahaha. I could walk within yards of parked aircraft with only a chain link fence separating us.

A high school buddy went into the navy and flew countless hours hunting Soviet subs in P3's. Where-ever you are,"Evil Clay", I wish you well.

3. Menehune

Menehune

I've always thought it was a neat aircraft. Kind of a Cold War relic that is still serving!

Saw one years ago from Barbers Point NAS. about 400 miles west of Oahu, and here come this P-3, less than a 100' off the water. Past by us about 2000' away, just skimming along a flat sea.

4. Deanster

Deanster Cheese? CLM Millennium Member

I live just a hour or so fromr NAS Whidbey, where 4? squadrons of P-3's, and a couple more of EP-3's are based, so they are a pretty common sight.

very cool aircraft.

a whole bunch of EA-6B Prowlers live at Whidbey also... much louder when camping in the area!

5. Jbar4Ranch

Jbar4Ranch B-Western Hero Millennium Member

I was stationed at NAS Whidbey from '75-'78, trained on A6's, but ended up maintaining P3's instead. I think the squadrons were 128, 129, 131, and 132...?

A lot of them have been converted for use as retardant bombers fighting forest fires. Here's one bombing my house in 2000. I suppose it's possible I could have worked on this same bird a quarter century before.
    [​IMG]

6. col_jp

col_jp

7. Menehune

Menehune

Robins AFB is here and is home to JSTARS, another airborne surveilance platform. I figure they are here cross training or some systems work since they are also flying in the mid east right now doing over land operations.

Jbar, awesome shot!

8. G26S239

G26S239 NRA Patron

My Squadron had EP-3Es and EA-3Bs. I enjoyed working on Aircraft.

9. m2hmghb

m2hmghb

I see them once in a while around here. Cool planes. There aren't many planes I haven't seen, F22 is about the only one. We've had the Osprey here even. I live near MacGuire AFB and Lakehurst NAS.

10. badr1

badr1

Before I cross rated to MA i was an aviation structure and hydraulic mechanic (AMS) now shortened to AM I was attached to VX-1 in Patxent River MD We had P3's, S3's(vikings) and H60's(seahawks) we were a test and evaluation squadron I have alot of time flying aircrew in a P3 even more in the H60 and a little but not much in the S3 (they didn't see much flight time) we only had a couple pilots for the war whooper

11. Ragnar

Ragnar

You either don't pay attention or haven't lived in Central GA very long. The P-3s are here at Robins every week.

And you should notice some F-15s flying around too. They test them here and go Mach about 3 times a week. Sonic booms are pretty cool.

12. G26S239

G26S239 NRA Patron

:thumbsup: AE3 with VQ-2 Rota Spain here.

13. MtBaldy

MtBaldy Obie Wan, RIP

Cool airplanes. They were pretty common off the west and north coasts of St. Croix flying training missions out of Roosevelt Roads in PR. You never knew when you would end up in a flock of sono buoys or have one zoom over just above the deck.

14. Menehune

Menehune

Ummm...

I have lived here since '95. And the F-15, yeah, I know them well too.

15. firedawg60

firedawg60

I've seen them here in Kansas. But I guess we have several subs in the Arkansas River!! :rofl:

16. chuckman

chuckman

Ahhhhh....Rosy Roads...fun times! :)

We see P3s off the NC and VA coast quite often. Then, between all the mil bases in NC and VA, not many planes we don't see.

17. GVIFlyer

GVIFlyer Senior Member

Neat airplane - four 4,600 HP direct reading Allisons, 405 knot Vne and a 350 knot cruise - jet speed. The AC makes his power commands in horsepower to the pilot in the right seat, "Give me 4,000 horsepower." I used to mock them when on board by repeating "Give be turns for 20 knots!", but I secretly admired the airplane.

18. Norske

Norske Millennium Member

Another reason you may see them is that, if I am not mistaken, they were all BUILT in Georgia.

Built at the Lockheed plant in Marietta, Georgia just outside of Atlanta.

Also known as "Dobbins Air Reserve Base" and "Naval Air Station Atlanta". It's all the same complex.

They may be on their way back "home" for work of one kind or another.

That is also where all the C-130's were, and still are, built, as well as all C-141's (now all retired) and C-5's.

Also where F-22's are currently being built.

Last edited: Mar 31, 2010
  19. Kozel

Kozel

Those airplanes are how old?:wow:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/P-3_Orion

I see Boeing is building 737 replacements for them here in Renton WA. Probably not fast enough because I see those P3s flying around this area all the time.

20. flatag

flatag Must have tacos

All of the east coast P-3's are now stationed at NAS Jacksonville. They will soon be replaced by the P-8 which is based on the 737.