close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Nationwide is NOT on your side!

Discussion in 'The Okie Corral' started by smoke, Feb 8, 2010.

1. smoke

smoke

Had Nationwide Insurance on house and 2 vehicles. Premiums kept going up for no reason other than "that's the going rate". The dates on the policies on the house and cars were different because they used to be with separate companies and we switched/consolidated to get a better deal. When the house policy came up for renewal, we got quotes from other companies and all beat Nationwide, again consolidating to get a better deal.

Here's the kicker - because we "cancelled" the vehicle policies, we got hit for $110 "cancellation fee". When asked for an explanation, we got told "we basically have a legal license to steal and if you don't pay it, we'll screw your credit". So much for being "on your side", more like "we're behind you and we'll stick it to you".

2. Jackalo626

Jackalo626

All insurance companies are out to screw you out of as much money as possible, the only thing you can do is pick the lesser of the screwing.

3. viniglock

viniglock

You may want to contact the agency that regulates insurance in your state. After that they may have a different tune.

4. 357glocker32

357glocker32

Thats what will happen with the majority of the big name companys you see all the commercials for, nationwide, geico, allstate etc. you are much better off going down to your local agencie and letting them quote your insurance out to a few companies. You may have to pay a little bit more but coverages and claim support will be well worth it.

just my .02

5. Glenn129

Glenn129

I have had a problem with Farm Bureau just not paying claims. Thanks for the info.

6. sdsnet

sdsnet NRA Member CLM

____usaa_____

7. Steve0853

Steve0853

If you are loyal to a company or agent, you will get burned on insurance.

I stayed with one guy for about 18 years after I started driving. I thought "Well he takes good care of me, etc...."

When my oldest child turned 16 and had to go on the policy, my premiums would have quadrupled. My wife shopped around and got better coverage for about 1.5 times what we had been paying.

Since then, she shops insurance every two years when the policy is due to expire. Often she can trim $100 or more off a yearly policy for home and auto.

8. aerod1

aerod1 NRA Life Member

If you are with the same auto insurance company for more than 3 years, you are getting hosed. They start out low and once they figure they have your business, they jack up your rates.
    Put your insurance up for bids every couple of years. It keeps them honest.

9. FullClip

FullClip NRA Benefactor CLM

I've been with the same small insurance company for the past 25 years (Maine Mutual) and have my auto and homeowners combined. Have only had one claim with them and they never raised the premium. Think in 25 years the homeowners insurance has only gone up a couple hundred bucks (the value of the house has increased 5 fold) and the auto coverage moves around a little bit with new trucks and different vehicles. Maybe I could save some money shopping around, but I'm happy with the service and not just being a number in the national companies. Motorcycles are through Dairyland as Mane Mutual doesn't offer coverage for the two wheeled stuff..:supergrin:)

10. den888

den888

I feel for you and for your pain. All financial companies (banks, insurance companies, brokerage houses, etc) are putting these ****ed up charges if
    you make and changes or cancel.

These people look out for themselves only. They are nothing but criminals and should be treated as such.

Screw them !

11. SoonerSoftail

SoonerSoftail Go Sooners!

I used Allstate for our homeowners for years before I got smart and shopped around. Found the same coverage for about half. Now I shop every couple of years. And now that I haven't been with them for a few years Allstate is usually very competitive. Still not going back.

12. Glocks&Ducs

Glocks&Ducs

I didn't take any cancellation fee hits, but they sure thought they were going to raise my home insurance by 58% this year. I put the ixnay on that crap real quick. At the same time, I found out I was overpaying for auto insurance by almost a couple hundred dollars every six months while I was with them.

13. Glocks&Ducs

Glocks&Ducs

USAA is not that great anymore either. Although their auto rates have come back down as of late, they aren't the best and I switched from their auto insurance about five or six years ago. I switched to Nationwide for home insurance about three years ago because USAA was going to raise my home insurance by about 55% in one year with no claims. I just checked with them again since I was shopping around anyway, and now they don't even offer wind and hail so there was no reason to even consider switching back to them.

14. Glocks&Ducs

Glocks&Ducs

Were these claims that were denied for a legitimate reason, or did they simply not have the money to pay out?

15. hoffy

hoffy

a bite they will take. My rates went up for our cars because I got hit twice while on my motorcycle, not my fault, and unavoidable, I always look for an escape, follow MSF doctrine to the letter. Cagers (car driver) were cited both times and one did not have insurance, the first one. I got hit in may and my bike was destroyed, they had insurance, but what a fight I am in(I got rear ended at a light, kid didn't even hit brakes till he hit me going 35-40 mph, I am lucky to be alive) . The kicker is they raised rates on all of our vehicles, the ones in my wife's name too. She is furious, never had even a speeding ticket. We have a package deal through a smallish agent in my little town. My wife tried to get coverage on her own, one deal was through her union(nationwide) and they couldn't come close to what we were paying!!!!!! She was told they go by incidents, regardless of fault, and these were companies trying to get her business. I got hosed on the value of my bike, and am most likely going to file a complaint once the medical thing is done, they don't even know what is wrong with me yet, I had a bad back before I got hit, now it is a real problem. I hate them all. Some never paid claims from hurricane katrina, they just paid millions in fines and left the state, cheaper to pay fines and never do business there again. Be aware I am furious at thinking of them, some of you may have had warm and fuzzy relations with them:whistling: I have to admit my local agent has been as reasonable as the corporations allow them to be.

16. hhb

hhb

In the early 1960's, I was a Petty officer 2nd class in the Navy stationed on a destroyer in San Diego, and my wife taught school at a National City Junior High. We saved our money, and bought a brand new VW at Brown VW on National Avenue in National City. After paying cash for the car, I sat out on the bus to find insurance for it. I stopped at every major insurance company in the San Diego area trying to buy car insurance. The first question was; "What do you do for a living?" "I'm in the Navy". "We don't sell to sailors". I took the bus home, got off at the stop to walk to the apartment, and passed a Farmeres Insurance Agency office built into the front of a residence on 18th St. in National City. I stopped to make one last effort before calling my father and having the car added to the family business policy. The agent greeted me, and I told him that I wanted to buy car insurance, and told him we had a new VW down the street waiting for us. I told him, before we started, that I was in the Navy. He said; "Fine", and asked to see my drivers license. I showed my home state license, and told him my wife had an aout of state license also. He wrote up the policy and told me that my wife had to get a California license because she was employed in California. I paid the premium, and ran back to the car lot and took the car to the apartment. In the almost 50 years since then, I've had tons of agents tell me that they could sell me insurance cheaper than Farmers. I tell them that they had their chance. I don't care what the premium is from Farmers, I pay it.

17. norton

norton

Just guessing but you may be paying the $110 due to having insurance in force for a specific period of time. Did you cancel before your renewal date? I see you had 2 different policy periods.

Also for everyone, if you are not going with a reputable agent, be sure you are comparing apples to apples on coverages. Did you get the same G.L. limits? Did you have Replacement coverage for your home and personal possessions? Do you still? Do you know what the AM Best financial rating is for the new company you are switching to? You don't want to find out at claim time the new carrier is in financial trouble. Especially if that claim comes during some kind of catastrophe, like a state wide wind storm.

18. Glock-it-to-me

Glock-it-to-me Catching liars

Except for motorcycles and homes.

19. TuxthePenguin

TuxthePenguin

20. Another Miller

Another Miller prankster

Never had nationwide but I think the hundred dollar plus cancellation charge is bogus.As mentioned, contact an insurance regulator in your state.

At one time, we had metlife on our home and cars.We had it for many many years then our garage flooded due to it not being a permanent structure with a gravel floor,had a bad storm.it has a regular frame,wals and roof and electric door just like a regular garage.Anyways, we filed a claim,first one since getting the policy.They sent an adjuster,he left then 2 weeks later we get a cancellation letter.Metlife dropped US.Caused all sorts of problems as our home loan requires insurance as well as the car loans.They had the stones a month later to ask us if we wanted to start up a retirement acct with them.

We ended up with grange for house and progressive on the cars,through a local company.progressive was a real pain after a deer strike but since,have had no problems.