close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

National Stand Down

Discussion in 'Firefighter/EMS Talk' started by DTD2, May 28, 2006.

1. DTD2

DTD2 vote or die

Taken from

http://www.iafc.org/displaycommon.cfm?an=1&subarticlenbr=306

When: Starting Wednesday, June 21, 2006 and continue until all subsequent duty days/shifts have been covered.

What: Fire departments—career, volunteer and combination—are being urged to suspend all non-emergency activity and instead focus entirely on firefighter safety. This year's Stand Down will highlight emergency vehicle safety.

Why: To raise the level of awareness toward fire fighter safety and call attention to the unacceptable number of LODD deaths and injuries.

Who: All fire departments and stations

What is a stand down?
    A stand down is a method used by the military to correct an issue that has been identified as a problem throughout its ranks. This stand down is to raise the level of awareness toward fire fighter safety and call attention to the unacceptable number of deaths and injuries plaguing fire departments.
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------
    This will be a GREAT training tool I hope many of you will use it
    Is your Dept. particpating?

A wealth of information, ideas, guidelines, SOP/SOG's and Firefighter close calls can be submit and read
    HERE

Be safe,
    Dennis

2. nsb22

nsb22 TEAM OAF

I'm thinking we did vehicle safety for last years standdown. I'm not saying it shouldn't be gone over again, I was just wondering if we jumped the gun somehow, or if this was done intentionally?

3. obxprnstar

obxprnstar Goth Lover

At every major confrnece vehicle saftey is a big thing, and there is a min of two classes dedicated to it.

The main thing is to look at it/ train from a new perspective.

If you merely go over the same info in the same way every year, then the training will not be as effective.

4. nsb22

nsb22 TEAM OAF

Tin-foil! :supergrin: They Chief did it last year REALLY hit home.
    There were numbers along the app. floor signifying how many FF's had died in vehicle accidents. There was some other really neat stuff that was done, but that sticks out the most!