close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

National Park Carry Question

Discussion in 'Carry Issues' started by Philly K-9, Feb 25, 2010.

1. Philly K-9

Philly K-9 Run! I Dare ya!

I know that's it's legal to carry in a "National Park" now. My question is are places like the Liberty Bell (Independance National Park), the Statue of Liberty, the Washington monuments etc, which are "National Parks" also legal?

2. LittleRedToyota

LittleRedToyota

my understanding is that it is still illegal to carry in staffed buildings in national parks (as the separate prohibition on carrying in federal buildings is still in effect). i would assume those are all staffed building and, thus, it would not be legal to carry in them.

ETA: also, remember that it isn't that carrying in all national parks is now legal...it is just that national parks now follow state law like national forests always have. so, even without the federal building issue, you still cannot carry on the grounds of the washington monument (or the statue of liberty) unless you are someone who can legally carry in DC in general (or NYC in general) and DC (or NYS/NYC) doesn't have any other laws specifically barring you from carrying there.

so, most people still could not carry on the grounds of the washington monument or the statue of liberty. the liberty bell is a different story, though. more people can legally carry in philly. however, iirc, the liberty bell is inside of a staffed building (been a long time since i have been there, though).

Last edited: Feb 25, 2010

3. Jon_R

Jon_R

The new law is to follow the carry laws of the state the park is in. Unless you have a carry permit accepted by the district the grounds around the Washington monument are still off limits. The everglades national park in FL is fine is you have a permit accepted by FL. If you don't the new law doesn't help you.

4. MountainPacker

MountainPacker

The Liberty Bell is in a building. You can carry in it, unless it is posted. For the Fed carry prohibition to be enforceable, the building must be posted. It will be posted.

Last edited: Feb 25, 2010
  5. Philly K-9

Philly K-9 Run! I Dare ya!

Thanks guys. Being a cop I can usually carry most anyplace but on my upcomming trip to NYC I don't wan't to have to go back to the hotel to secure my weapon. My wife would simply kick me in the stones and keep right on sight seeing without me!

6. Jon_R

Jon_R

I would think as a LEO you could carry all those places on your badge before this law but I am not law enforcement so not certain.

7. telecster

telecster

What about open carry? I live in Oregon and open carry is legal. So could I open carry at Crater Lake?
    What about at Yellowstone?

Last edited: Feb 27, 2010
  8. Rebel_James

Rebel_James

Another Sgt. I work with vacationed in DC last summer. He carried his pistol and identification. All the 'sights,' Washington Monument, Lincoln Memorial, etc. had metal detectors outside.

He produced his ID to the security there and was waved right on in.

HB 218 allows Cops to carry almost anywhere in the USA.

9. TheGreatGonzo

TheGreatGonzo Clown Hunter

Your tin will be sufficient at the Statue of Liberty (as well as the Empire State Building). Carry and enjoy.
    Gonzo

10. Jim

Jim

Any info about us retired guys?

11. Gunnut 45/454

Gunnut 45/454

telecster
    Yes WY,MT and ID are open carry states so Yellowstone is a OC carry park!:supergrin:

12. Gloveman

Gloveman

That is not necessarily true. Florida law allows for open carry if one is camping, hunting , fishing or going to or coming from one of those activities.

So, open carry while fishing, which is what most of us do in the park is legal. However, I don't want to be the first to run into the law. I understand the Park Rangers are not happy at all with the change.

Last edited: Feb 28, 2010
  13. Kentucky Shooter

Kentucky Shooter NRA Life Member

this is my understanding as well.

14. RichardinNC

RichardinNC

I don't think so. The new law made state park and Nat. Park carry separate issues. You can carry in a Nat. Park even if prohibited from carrying in parks of the state that the Nat. Park is in. See the other thread that discusses this. Also - Look up the Great Smoky Mtn. Park website for more info.