Nashville, TN

Discussion in 'The Okie Corral' started by metro273, Jan 17, 2010.

1. metro273

metro273 Glock 19 Rocks!

The family and I are going out there for the first time in June and we just need to know what kind of fun things there are to do out there?

Granted, we are only staying for 2 days cause the other 5 days, we are going to the Smokey Mountains area to stay! :supergrin:

So, what's there to do in the "Country Capital of the World"? :dunno:

2. titan99

titan99

Go downtown. Eat a good dinner. Walk around and listen to country music at the local honky tonks.

Check out Opryland Hotel and right next door is Opry Mills Mall with a Bass Pro.

That's about all I can think of.

If your an ice hockey fan catch a Predators game.

Last edited: Jan 17, 2010

3. April

April Lifetime Member

Honestly.. Walk downtown. Frist Center for the Visual Arts, Country Music Hall of Fame, Lower Broadway, 2nd Ave North... The whole town isn't just country music. I'm from there and really miss walking around downtown.

4. The Hawk

The Hawk

Although it is not in Nashville, my favorite store is the Smoky Mountain Knife Works in Sevierville, TN. If you are into knives or outdoor gear you will enjoy it. It is a huge store and the folks working there could not be any friendlier.

5. jtmac

jtmac Señor Member

I haven't been many places in Nashville, but the Opryland Hotel is awfully nice to walk around in. The gardens are lovely and enveloping, and the fountain show is quite a bit of fun to watch.

6. DustyDawg48

DustyDawg48

Like titan99 said, a trip to Opry Mills Mall is in order. Great Bass Pro Shop, the first one I ever visited, and the mall itself could nearly take a day to walk through. There are plenty of shops and restaraunts and my family's favorite is the restaurant "Aquarium". It's a bit pricey but the entire place is a theme place, much like Rainforest Cafe, but this place has two large aquariums as you walk in and a massive 200,000 gallon aquarium that you set around while you eat. Full of sharks, rays, eels and all other sorts of saltwater fish. Scuba divers are in there twice a day feeding and checking on them, too. Great food, again you are paying for atmosphere, but a great time, too. Next door to that is an interactive area for smaller kids with a merry-go-round and a sting ray tank where you can feed the rays right from your hand. There is also a good go-cart track about a mile away from Opry Mills, too. Nice mini-golf area and game room.

7. NorthCarolinaLiberty

NorthCarolinaLiberty MentalDefective

The old Ryman Auditorium is great. If they don't have a show, you can just take a tour of the theatre. You might still be able to go on stage and get your picture taken.

I saw Saturday Night at the Opry in the old Ryman. The acoustics are great. A guy who worked there told me the story about the acoustics. He said the Ryman was a church back in the 1800s. The acoustics had to be good because they did not have hearing aids then, and a lot of older people had seats in the back.

8. metro273

metro273 Glock 19 Rocks!

Nice! Good stuff so far, keep it coming! :wavey:

9. Solitaire

Solitaire

For history buffs, check out:
    Centennial Park: Featuring a copy of ancient Athens' most famous building, the Parthenon.
    The Hermitage: Pres. Andrew Jackson's home.
    Belmont Mansion: A friend who is into the Civil War loved it.

10. April

April Lifetime Member

Centennial Park was my hang out while skipping school in HS. It's a nice park. Along the same lines is the Bicentennial Mall. An open-air museum paved with memorial bricks and Tennessee Limestone, it's actually a State Park and also houses the Nashville Farmer's Market.

Y'all are reminding me of all the stuff I miss about home.

11. napp32

napp32

If you spot a guy walking around carrying an AK with an orange muzzle, don't shoot....he's harmless. :yawn:

12. 95-Bound

95-Bound

Def. do the stoll downtown. Stop by and check out the Country Music Hall of Fame. The Hermitage is nice for the family. You can take a carriage/ buggy ride through Andrew Jackson's HUGE property, tour his house, gravesite etc....

13. metro273

metro273 Glock 19 Rocks!

Thanks for the heads-up! :supergrin:

14. Rooster Rugburn

Rooster Rugburn Got Pignose?

If you are an outdoor type, check out SC Kentucky, due north of Nashville.

If you are a car guy, there is also a Corvette plant in Bowling Green http://www.bowlinggreenassemblyplant.com/ where you can take a tour and I think it has a museum too.

You can take a boat on Lost River. http://www.lostrivercave.com/ It seems like boating in the water table.

Then further north is Mammoth Cave National Park and Cave City KY. http://www.cavecity.com/attractions.htm There is a lot of stuff there and it's a beautiful area. Wild Turkeys and deer everywhere. They have a dinosaur themed place, Dinosaur World, right at the interstate, http://www.dinoworld.net/ and Guntown Mountain, which isn't my thing.

and IIRC, there is a sky cable car thing you ride next to the mountain.

15. PSG

PSG

16. failsafe

failsafe

I lived in Franklin TN, a suburb of Nashville, for 2 years while working on the construction of the Saturn plant in Springhill..If you are a Civil War buffm lot's of history in that area..Also enjoyed the Riverfest festival in downtown Nashville...I found this which sums up some area attractions..

Nashville Tennessee is slowly becoming a blend of the old and the new, where the past still dominates the unique character of "Music City" yet new infrastructure has kept a steady beat with the modern world. Nashville definitely dances to its own tune where you couldn't swing a cat without hitting a lyricist or ten! Country music lives and breathes in Nashville Tennessee and the capital has cultivated generations of successful singers and songwriters who play music from R&B to bluegrass, rock and alternative country. Even classical and jazz have slipped comfortably into the scene and seem to be a nice fit. Nashville will always bask in the glory of its country roots as the past is what truly characterized the city yet new music is evidently finding its own place amid the classic country heartbeat in Nashville Tennessee.

Nashville attractions are very much like those in Memphis surrounding a very musical theme.

The Grand Ole Opry is one of the most visited Nashville attractions and an American icon like no other is. Experience the phenomenon of the world-famous Opry and visit for a show or a tour. Check the calender of events for show dates. Pair a visit to the Opry with a visit to the Grand Ole Opry Museum where visitors can view tributes to great country stars of the past. The Museum is open Sunday to Thursday 10am to 5pm, Friday 10am to 8 and Saturday 10am to 10pm. There are also dozens of exhibits in tribute to today's favorite country stars and admission is free.

The Nashville Zoo at Grassmere is south of downtown on two acres of land and is another of the great Nashville attractions. You'll need 2 to 3 hours to explore the zoo and the fantastic exhibits and displays such as Gibbon Island, Alligator Cove and African Elephant Savannah. Parking at the zoo is free and rates run from $13.00 and less but check before purchasing tickets. April 1 to October 15 from 9am until 6pm and October 16 to March 31 from 9am until 4pm are the operating hours. There are some really interesting and unique historical houses in the area for an excellent architectural tour and add. These beautiful house have served as Nashville attractions for quite some time. Carter house was built in 1830 and served as the Union army command post during the Battle of Franklin. Belmont Mansion was constructed in 1850's in Italianate villa style and belonged to one of the wealthiest women in the country at the time. Other houses of interest are Carter House, The Hermitage and Lotz House, which can all be toured during the day time.

There are lots of annual Nashville events, especially from may to October including Beachhaven Jazz on the Lawn, Sumner Crest Winery Summer Festival, CMA Music festival in June, and Dukesfest in June for all the Dukes of Hazzard fans! July welcomes the Nashville events of Independence Day, Smithville Fiddler's Jamboree and the Celebration of Cultures. September is chock full of Nashville events and is the busiest month of the year for them with an event happening almost every day! Nashville Tennessee Riverfest, Nashville Tennessee State Fair, the Old Timers Day Bluegrass Festival and the Nashville Folk festival are just a few! Nashville events are full of food, music and good 'ole Nashville spirit!

There are so many attractions in Nashville it's hard to know where to start! The Country Music Hall of Fame and Museum is worth a visit and is open daily from 9am to 5pm. Centennial Park is of particular interest when exploring attractions in Nashville as it contains a full-size replica of the Athens's Parthenon! When visiting in the hot summer months take a trip to Wave Country and let the kids cool off amongst the huge waves in the wave pool or rush down waterslides for the afternoon. Belle Meade plantation was built in 1853 and had become famous for breeding the best race horses in the south. When visiting attractions in Nashville this one has lots of history behind its Greek Revival walls. It's a great place to visit and then take a load off amongst 30 acres of beautifully landscape lawns and shade trees. Nashville attractions are boundless and offer up a buffet of excitement and intrigue coupled with rich history and a tune to go with everyone's beat.

17. TNGlockman

TNGlockman NRA Member

:wow:

Wow, they could use that for a tourism commercial!

18. thanospro

thanospro

I can't think of anything else in Nashville other than what's been said. Regardless of your taste in music try and catch the Opry, it's a good show every time. The Station Inn is the best place around for bluegrass. There's tons of live music venues that would suit whatever you want to hear, it's not just a hillbilly music town. If you're into baseball then you need to catch a Nashville Sounds game...AAA with the Brewers. Lots of places to walk, lots to see.

19. metro273

metro273 Glock 19 Rocks!

This pretty much sums it up...thanks! :supergrin:

20. DoubleDog

DoubleDog Grrrrr.....

I was down in Nashville about a year ago, and absolutely loved it!

I drank, danced, and generally partied my face off!

There will be another trip to Nashville!

DD~