close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Nashua Debriefing

Discussion in 'GSSF' started by DannyR, Jul 24, 2004.

1. DannyR

DannyR Moderator Millennium Member

Post your stories here.:)

2. Fireglock

Fireglock Which is worse?

I recieved a message from the front lines this morning, RAIN. Good luck folks. :)

3. Don At PC

Don At PC Senior Member Millennium Member

Fireglock: Is that anything like: "ARMAGEDDON" ????????? ;T ;T ;T ;U ;U ^3

Good Luck Folks

4. GJM89

GJM89

Flash news from the front, The rain stopped at about 0930 hrs. and it turned out to be a great overcast Dot day, Temp. in the 70s, actually a very nice day. I understand that there was approx. 130 shooters today and as usual there were no lines and very little waiting. Every stage appeared to run very smoothly and there was an abundance of very friendly and helpful ROs, by the time I reached the plates,approx.1400 hrs., there was no wait, the ROs were actually waiting for shooters,no muss no fuss. This is the third year for the Nashua Match and it just gets better every year, it's a must attend for anyone close enough to attend, if that makes any sence? Julie and Dave had everything under control and Chris did a yeomans job at the sign-in table. Oh yea, Nashua has the best grilled Brots,Thanks ladies, don't miss them if you attend next year.;+ ;+ ;+ ;Y ;Y ;Y ^5 ^5 ^5

5. Groundhog

Groundhog

Everything Glenn said is true. I got there about 10:30 AM Saturday and the rain had already stopped, overcast but very comfortable. I should get up at 4:00 AM and drive 320 miles before every match -- I shot my personal best today. I hope I copied everything correctly. Now we wait for the scores to be posted (the PDA's were in use elsewhere). The RO's were the best, very smooth operation.:) :) :)

6. LoveGlocks

LoveGlocks

"Live Free Or Die" Ballistic Challenge at Nashau Fish & Game...

SUPER-INCREDIBLE MATCH!

Every year I shoot this match, I see all the old RO's and friends and I also get to meet more RO's and make more friends! I can't get over how competent, friendly and helpful the RO's at Nashua F&G are. It's pervasive throughout all the RO's and Host MD's there.

Mr. De-Prendible, Mr. Westcott, Mr. DiMarco and the entire case of RO's that I was "yuking-it-up" with at the match today - THANKS! IT SURE WAS FUN!

Chris, David, Julie and Keith (Glock Armorer) solidified Glock's presence at the match. David handled the range while Julie and Chris took care of everything at registration. Keith did the usual "whiz bang" Glock Armorer's thing.

Hey David - thanks for directing the shooters to the right COFs - it sure removed the back-log that was occuring!

I have pics that I took but it'll be at least tomorrow night before I can get them posted.

Hey Mrs. LeRoux!!! Thanks for pulling my leg on the "fake cell phone call"... remember, I owe you one! HAHAHA (it was pretty funny and it helped me get loose for the match).

Mr. LeRoux, I think you have a great opportunity to get Kathy a tremendous Christmas present... hint, hint, hint! Did she tell you she RAN THE PLATE RACK with the Open Gun? We kinda had to pry it out of her hands when she was done.

I also got a chance to meet a handful of shooters while waiting for my turn to shoot. We discussed Glocks and shared match experiences while pasting and resetting steel. It's great to have that opportunity. It's too bad that many times, we have to "shoot-n-scoot" at these matches... it's definitely a positive experience to spend time meeting other shooters and sharing knowledge and experience.

Glenn and Steve - Great shooting today! Thanks for a great effort for Team Sidearmor! Coach DannyR will be quite proud! Glenn, your gal is just FABULOUS!!! What a Classy Lady!

About the match - I shot the match on Saturday, it was cloudy but very comfortable (it was a "good dot day" but also bright enough to see the iron sights quite well). I had the opportunity to see four different RO teams work (they switched RO teams so the RO's can eat lunch without stopping the match) at 5TG and Glock-M. The different RO's were very consistent in their procedures and their calls on targets.

I would like to sincerely thank the GSSF Staff and all the RO's and MD's at Nashua F&G for a great time today. It makes the 13 hour round-trip drive totally worth it! :cool: ;? ;Y ^c ^c ^c ^c ^c

7. DannyR

DannyR Moderator Millennium Member

Congrats to my Team Sidearmor teammates Frank Koo, Steve Murza and Glenn Meyer for a great performance in Master Stock Category. Looks like atother Plaque for us, as well as a few pistol wins for the guys.;D ;+ ;+ ;+ ;D

On to Marietta, Ohio.

8. Noah Gladstone

Noah Gladstone

I had a great time. Very short waits. Weather turned out to be perfect. I am happy whenever the plastic bags can be taken off the targets. Julie, David, and Chris did their usual great job. Now I have to get ready for today's steel match.^c ^c

9. LoveGlocks

LoveGlocks

Hey there Patrick O'Malley and David Watkins (GT Member "MiniGlock") drop us a note and say "Hi"!

I met these two shooters at the match... I sure enjoyed their fresh outlook and enthusiasm for GSSF Shooting. Patrick brought five different Glocks to the match with four different calibers. Is that incredible or what? Glad he's on our side!

It was nice being squaded with both of you.

Perhaps I'll see you guys other matches.

10. doylelon

doylelon

Maybe I'm in the minority BUT...I arrived @ 1430, no armorer was onsite. Couldn't have been 10 shooters left by that time of the day.

Went to the first staging area, asked directions, yellow shirt RO I asked "didn't know" where to direct me. So I walked to the back range.

Went to the 3 stages in the back range, RO's were shooting "because they had to get back to work" (there was no one there???) I couldn't shoot the Glock M and 5 to Glock, so I went to the plates.

Back to M and 5...RO's still shooting, I was going to be the last shooter (I thought registered participants shoot before the ROs??? Asked a few yellow shirts for "what's up" directions and they knew nothing (or weren't saying)...
    Finally a guy with a radio calls the front area and sends me there to shoot...I walked to the front stages where I started out 1 hr before.

I shot...it went OK, thanked everyone and started to leave...then remembered I left my new sweatshirt at the Glock M and walk back. The ROs were already plotting who was going to take it home. Boy they were disappointed I came back for it.

I'm a native New Englander (a homie) and was very I disappointed in this match. Bad Karma and very strange group in general. I also felt many of the RO's were very unfamiliar with GSSF matches. It was nothing like the VA. and MD. matches I have shot at the last three years which were all very well run and I always felt good being there.

I hope this was an aberation and not the rule for future GSSF matches in Nashua. I understand they also do IDPA there and I was considering going (maybe not anymore).

Sorry to report this but that's my 2 cents.

11. LoveGlocks

LoveGlocks

doylelon -

I'm sorry to hear you had a bad experience... such contrast to mine.

RO's do get priority over shooters. I waited for some time and was next when an RO came up and handed in his sheet. The RO (in charge of the back Glock-M) asked me politely if the RO can shoot thru ahead of me. Of course I said "yes"... it's the rules anyway. He didn't need to do ask me but did it out of politeness.

What day did you shoot?

I'm sure it was an abberation... I did not meet any RO's that behaved like what you described and I'm not disputing what you experienced... just that it's so strange to hear.

I've shot at Nashua for the past few years (at least three)... it's been totally a great experience.

Sorry for your experience.

12. doylelon

doylelon

Loveglocks:

As I said...there were very few shooters there when I arrived, and I very well might have been one of the last to leave...1615-1630 hours.

I just shared my feelings...Bad Vibes. No big deal.

Have you shot other GSSF matches at other locations with a basis for comparison? And do you have an opinion about other sites vs. Nashua?

13. LoveGlocks

LoveGlocks

doylelon -

I've shot many GSSF matches in the Northeast (VA, MD, NY, PA, NJ, NH, NC, KY, OH, IN). I have not had any bad vibes from RO's or at any of the matches. I have always been greeted with smiles and warm handshakes. There have been times when I've waited a long while due to a process (sheet handling) error (way, way back - before the sign-in sheet was implemented). There may be RO's that are new to GSSF matches but the RO's that run people thru generally know what to do as far as safety and handling the shooter. Scoring disputes can easily be resolved with a call to the GSSF Range master.

Sometimes, volunteer RO's are given a specific task and may not have been "brief" as to how to direct shooters... perhaps the RO(s) you asked were just helping with score sheets.

As far as where best to sign up to shoot (which stages), the right RO to ask this of may be the stack masters (old term) that handle the squading and of course the GSSF Rangemaster.

There was one time when the RO was going to assign two procedurals to my friend because he shot two pepper poppers on the Glock-M. We quickly resolved. [this was at another match, not this weekend's match at Nashua]

Clubs that host the GSSF matches do the best they can and depend on the local shooters to volunteer for RO duty. Sometimes, inexperienced RO's (to GSSF matches) show up and must learn the rules and process on a steep learning curve.

We, as GSSF Shooters, need to work with them to get the job done. Not all clubs on the GSSF Circuit have the luxury of having the same crew of RO's year after year. I know... I have RO'd for Fulton, NY and Topton, PA.

Some matches go quicker and more smoothly than others but on the average, GSSF matches have been a positive experience.

Take care,
    LG

14. fmule68

fmule68

Today was a great day for a road trip. Couldn't make the 2 pm deadline for Sunday, but checked out the match anyway. I was there until 4pm and saw 2 armorers there. Keith and Larry offered a lot of helpful advice.
    I had a chance to roam and see how it works. Met some great RO's and other Glock owners.

It was a nice day and a shooting match was on. Thanks for the positive report LoveGlocks. :cool:

Most of us don't need royal treatment to have a good time.;Q

15. Sons of Liberty

Sons of Liberty

doylelon:

As one of the match RO's, I am sorry you left feeling that way. First, I assure you that no one would have taken your sweatshirt home except maybe to post a lost-and-found message here, or to give it to Chris later. Regarding the RO's shooting, etc., remember that this was the end of 2+ days of working for many of these people, and with registration closing at 1400, they were winding down at 1430 when you arrived. The confusion you refer to was probably due to the fact that we had shut down the front Glock'M and 5-to-Glock in order to open that range back up to the NFGA members.

Once again, I am sorry that you feel the way you do. I hope it won't prevent you from coming back.

Best regards,
    PD

16. doylelon

doylelon

Thank you all for your return comments.
    I also was just providing feedback as per the Thread request...

Loveglocks....you didn't respond to my question regarding comparing Nashua vs. match sites.

fmule68...Saturday wasn't all that great a day, when I arrived @ 2:30 PM there was no Amorer available (perhaps he/they were attending to personal needs) and I wasn't expecting "royal treatment", just sharing my experience and feelings about it.

Sons of Liberty...I shot Saturday (Day 1), I finished my shooting on the front stages.

I thought well enough of the GSSF experience to drive 21/2 hrs each way through heavy weekend vacation traffic (I-95 along the coast)to shoot at this match.
    I had fun and will do it again.

When you ASK for "feedback", be prepared for all kinds...not just "everything was wonderful" and then attack the messenger.

Thanks for the forum to "share".

17. Sons of Liberty

Sons of Liberty

It would have been helpful if you specified that as your post was dated Sunday evening.

All feedback (good or bad) is welcome so we know what to repeat and what to improve on next year.

18. LoveGlocks

LoveGlocks

doylelon -

I don't really compare GSSF matches against one another because they are different match experiences.

BUT... in response to your question, I found Nashua GSSF match this past weekend to be about the norm as far as efficiency, safety factor, fun factor, total overall satisfaction. I found the RO's that I met no less competent than at other GSSF matches. In terms of handling the shooters, the Nashua F&G RO's are better than some matches that I've attended. They are very safety conscious, clear and consistent in their explanations and range commands. When I pulled into the range, they had RO's at the "gate" giving assistence as to where to go for registration and to warn me that this is a cold range, only handle firearms at the designated safety areas, etc. What more can I ask for?

This weekend's match was not the fastest as far as me getting through the match from start to finish but that is not how I grade GSSF experiences.

I take each match as they come. I have a different/better repoire with the personnel at some matches only because I have different/better chances to get to know the RO's and shooters.

[what I'm trying to say is that I have a better time at some matches than others since I have made better friends with the people attending certain matches. This includes shooters, MD's, RM's, RO's, Registration Persons. All matches are a fun time for me but some matches are special... like Nashua]

Even though the COF descriptions are the same for GSSF matches, the matches are not the same due to the different clubs and the "atmosphere". I happen to like the Nashua F&G "atmosphere" and am sorry that you did not have the same. Hope I answered your question...

I am just sharing my opinion and match experience, just like you are. I hope you don't feel that anyone is "bashing" or "attacking" you for giving your opinion. I hope they are just sharing their opinions as well and we agree to disagree.

Take care and have fun,
    LG

[edited for clarification... thanks FG]

19. LiveFreeOrDie

LiveFreeOrDie

Re: "bad vibes"

I was one of the ROs on the sign-in sheets. I don't remember
    any incidident like the one described, but I can certainly
    apologize for my lack of knowledge about every aspect of the
    GSSF events and formats. In my case, I can only say that
    when I could not answer any question, I referred the questioner
    to one of the more senior ROs.

Any event of this magnitude must rely on many volunteers, amazingly,
    not all of whom are even Glock owners (present G30 owner excepted),
    and many will not be familiar with all GSSF rules.

I know that most shooters appreciate the work that goes into
    putting on a match like this, as many of them went out of their
    way to say "thanks". To all of you, I appreciate your kind
    words.

Even a mundane job like working the sign-in sheets can feel
    pretty overwhelming when there are about 30 people waiting to
    shoot!

I will make a suggestion to the match director that for future
    matches there should be a "frequently asked questions" sheet that
    could be given out to all volunteers, so that everyone working can
    at least try and give out the best information for directions,
    etc.

All of the host ROs want to continue to make the NH match
    something that people enjoy, and want to return to each year.

LiveFreeOrDie

20. drcohen

drcohen TetraGunCare

This was my first GSSF event, and I was impressed. Nice to meet everyone.

Greg Cohen
    Mil-Comm Products
    www.mil-comm.com