Narcan Resistant Strain of Fentanyl

Discussion in 'Cop Talk' started by golls17, Sep 17, 2019.

1. golls17

golls17 Lifetime Newbie

This stuff is getting scary. If you're at an opioid overdose and they don't react to Narcan, be super careful...

https://pittsburgh.cbslocal.com/2017/04/28/narcan-resistant-fentanyl-pennsylvania/

PITTSBURGH (KDKA) — A strain of fentanyl that’s resistant to Narcan has made its way to Western Pennsylvania. It’s hundreds of times more powerful than morphine and is already causing overdose deaths.
    “If Acryl fentanyl is introduced into the population, it can have devastating effects,” said DEA Special Agent in Charge, David Battiste. “You would have to reuse Narcan if you are revived from Narcan at all.”

According to the DEA, Acryl fentanyl is being manufactured overseas, smuggled into the U.S., and sold mainly on the dark web.
    “We suspect China as one of the manufacturers, Canada, Mexico and the like,” said Battiste.
    According to the DEA, there have been two overdose fatalities in Western Pennsylvania, one in Butler County in November of 2016 and one in Beaver County in January of 2017. Unlike fentanyl and carfentanil, which have legitimate medical purposes for humans and animals respectively, Acryl fentanyl serves no legitimate purpose.

According to the DEA, it’s still unclear just how resistant it is and why it’s resistant.
    “If Narcan cannot be used to reverse the effects of these overdoses, something has to be done,” said Denise Zyskowski of Robinson Township.
    “It’s something paramedics are going to have to be prepared to deal with that this treatment might not work,” said Bradley Johnson of Pittsburgh.
    According to the DEA, we lost 613 people here in Allegheny County in 2016 to overdose deaths; 80 percent of them were fentanyl-related.
    “To find out that something like that is in the community and people won’t know what it is, It think that’s the problem. They think it’s something and it’s not what they think it is,” said Mark Hoyer of Youngwood.
    Acryl fentanyl comes in powder form. According to Battiste, it looks so similar to fentanyl, carfentanil, and heroin that even a narcotics expert could not tell the difference with a naked eye.
    “These are dangerous drugs. They’re cut by these dealers who don’t care about anything other than making a profit. It can be cut with anything,” said Battiste.

Sent from my SM-G930P using Tapatalk

2. G26-Has-my-6

G26-Has-my-6

I'd like to volunteer a revised directive....

1. Barrier tape a suspected overdose to a 100 ft radius.
    2. protect the scene until the overdose victim expires
    3. when the overdose victim expires, hazmat teams shall shrink wrap the victim to a minimum of 10 layers and transport to the nearest hazmat disposal facility

3. Maxw

Maxw

It will help drain the gene pool of druggies

4. flyover

flyover

I don't have a lot of sympathy for the druggies but fear for the safety of those who have to respond to the O D cases.

5. CAcop

CAcop

I once had to deal with an OD that had methadone on board, then dumped more opiates on top.

They were putting dose after dose of narcan into him until he got to the hospital. There they had to give him a longer lasting drug, can't remember the name, that works like narcan just longer acting. They had to do that because each dose of narcan made him dry heaves violently. After about 6-8 bouts of dry heaving it was pretty much bordering on torture.

I suspect the people out in the field will just need to have a couple of doses of narcan each and send at least two officers per OD with EMS and fire coming with the heavy stuff. Or just lots of narcan.

6. ReaPer105

ReaPer105

Bad choices have consequences.
    I just hope the first responders and medical personnel don't come in conact with this nasty stuff.

larry_minn, Willard, Redeemed and 2 others like this.
  7. B C

B C

Someone is trying to kill off a lot of the population. A lot of the opioid users are white.

pjanthony, fla2760 and gatorboy like this.
  8. Blanton

Blanton

Not quite. I'd always go with the medical folks or science with these types of questions

https://www.thefix.com/narcan-resistant-fentanyl-fact-or-fiction
    "But the FDA warns that if large doses of opioids have been taken, then greater doses of naloxone may be necessary to reverse the overdose. First responders are now being told to forgo the initial 0.4mg dose and instead go straight for a 2mg dose, because the illicit fentanyl that’s out there binds to opioid receptors more tightly than other opioids they’re accustomed to encountering. "

jimcorbin and gatorboy like this.
  9. Rellik

Rellik Kwisatz Haderach in Training

I know nothing about dealing with this stuff. How do you tell the diff between diabetic passout, stroke, or drug od?
    When I was in So Dak, passed out indians from booze was common.

10. stavey

stavey

If s killer stuff
    They call it the
    Darwin strain

11. Rellik

Rellik Kwisatz Haderach in Training

Culls out the stupid white people.

wlkjr likes this.
  12. Biggy1

Biggy1

Does this stuff also originate in China along with the chemicals used in meth-amphetamine.
    China might as well be using guns to kill our young people and US citizens. Trump is 100% right about China. They are just like Japan was in the years before WWll.

fla2760 and reach147 like this.
  13. DAKA

DAKA

There seem to always be a NEXT drug.....

Rellik likes this.
  14. collim1

collim1 5ft of fury. The champ is back!

If any reason at all to suspect narcotics you dose with Narcan. It won’t hurt them if it’s given unnecessarily.

Ranger357, CAcop, pgg00 and 1 other person like this.
  15. LostinTexas

LostinTexas Exploring Alternate Routes

A strain of fentanyl that’s resistant to Narcan has made its way to Western Pennsylvania.

Not sure if this is possible, but most of the internet lore isn't very probable either. Most of it close enough to not possible to call it "impossible".
    I'm so happy I don't have to deal with people that much any more.

16. gatorboy

gatorboy ( . Y . )

And these days it's weeks or days where batches of this crap is deadly in tiny amounts. The shooters used to love OxyContin because it was easy to dose and supposedly the high was cleaner than H. Well, here we are again. Seems you can't shoot powerful drugs safely. Who knew?

17. jstrange

jstrange

Forget the moral implications for a second, from a pure business standpoint why would you want to killl your customers? Why would a drug dealer knowingly sell a product that may kill someone on their first try when they could sell something less powerful for years and years. Not to mention scaring off the more timid people who wouldn’t mind trying drugs if they thought it wasn’t going to kill them. Just doesn’t seem like a sound business model.

18. flyover

flyover

From what I have heard, some of them take it as a challenge. To see if they can ride the lightening, so to speak, and survive.

19. golls17

golls17 Lifetime Newbie

The manufacturers don't care what they give their distributors as long as they get paid. The distributors don't care what they give their dealers as long as they get paid. The dealers probably don't know (or if they do, don't care) what they give their customers as long as they get paid. And the customers certainly don't know (or if they do, probably don't care) what they get as long as they get high.

There is no shortage of users to drive the economics

pjanthony likes this.
  20. Just_plinking

Just_plinking

What's an o.d. on this stuff look like? Just lights out, or seizing and heaving?