close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Napa winery greeter dogs

Discussion in 'Woof Memorial Critter's Corner' started by uhlawpup, Sep 15, 2006.

1. uhlawpup

uhlawpup Gentle Soul

I just did a bicycle tour of some of the wineries in Napa Valley, and I discovered what is becoming a wonderful tradition. They have greeter dogs!

Seriously! We would pull up on our bicycles, all sweaty and hot, and one or two big ol' dogs, usually yellow or black labs, would waddle over to us, accept our pets and praise, and then lead us to the tasting room. One of the places we visited is so serious that they even have two puppies in training for the task, being tutored by a staffer and the older dogs.

There's a book out on the subject, if anyone is interested. Also, if there is any interest, I'll post a couple of pictures.

By the way, Pont. One of the greeter dogs is a cat named Zephyr, whose job is to serve as a warning against over indulgence. More on that if anyone wants me to post the details.

2. MrsKitty

MrsKitty

How interesting!

The wineries here have dogs, usually yellow and black labs that hang out around the tasting room. I always thought the liability from risk of bite was risky and wondered why they had them.

Thanks for the info! :)

3. Walter45Auto

Walter45Auto

My German Shepherd greets people who come to our house, but most of the time it's in a not so friendly manner! So, Tell us about the cat?? You got me curious.

:freak:

:reindeer: :50cal:

4. uhlawpup

uhlawpup Gentle Soul

OK, here's Zephyr, the greeter dog that distinctly looks like a black cat, at the Frank Family Vinyards, I think...

Zephyr's job is to make sure the desk that holds the visitors' book stays firmly rooted to the office floor. He does not move, nor even open his eyes if you pet him. He will purr a little, but that's about it.

Many visitors put an empty wine bottle next to him, which he will deign to wrap a paw around, to show the evils of too much tasting.

5. uhlawpup

uhlawpup Gentle Soul

Here are Trixie (the Corgi) and the big dog whose name escapes me but had just returned after an almost fatal bout of pancreatitis. They are seasoned greeters, but Trixie expects a belly rub. (See post below.) They are also joinig the winery staffers in training the pups.

6. uhlawpup

uhlawpup Gentle Soul

In position for rub...

7. uhlawpup

uhlawpup Gentle Soul

Pups in training...

I have more pics, too. Just let me know if you want me to post them.

8. Walter45Auto

Walter45Auto

Absolutely!! Post them. we'd love to see!

:freak:

:reindeer: :50cal:

9. uhlawpup

uhlawpup Gentle Soul

Ok...

Here's JayJay at the Vincent Arroyo winery. He even has his own tee shirts for the kids. The warmer it gets outside, the further his rear end moves into the cool barrel cellars.

10. uhlawpup

uhlawpup Gentle Soul

This is trigger at Casa Nuestra. Her collar says, "No food," but, as we were having lunch there, she managed to wrangle a couple of potato chips from us. As the manager says, "She's not big-boned..."

11. uhlawpup

uhlawpup Gentle Soul

Also at Casa Nuestra, these two greeter dogs disguised as goats make sure you don't leave any leftovers lying around for the coyotes...

12. Steve #1

Steve #1

Funny, I have a Dogue de Bordeaux which were used for centuries in France to guard vineyards and wineries to keep people away.

I guess times have changed.