n95 respirator mask

Discussion in 'Survival/Preparedness Forum' started by edellson, Feb 21, 2020.

1. edellson

edellson

cbetts1 and Grumpy_old_man like this.
  2. TheDreadnought

TheDreadnought

Bought a case of 50 N95 surgical masks just before the virus hit. Have no problem profiteering off them if it comes to that.

nerr and edellson like this.

3. glockboy38

glockboy38

Just order one box.
    Thanks

pjanthony and edellson like this.
  4. PaulMason

PaulMason

I searched for this brand on the net and the only place that shows up is in the original post.

I've seen they have a 5 year shelf life. So is it possible the ones being sold have expired?

Can one of the people who bought them confirm they are 'fresh'.
    Thanks

edellson likes this.
  5. Wayward Son

Wayward Son

The link says add to wish list so I'm assuming out of stock.

6. edellson

edellson

Will do but mine has not shipped yet.

7. papershoot

papershoot

I picked some up at a Home Depot this morning. Online, they showed out of stock in town, but showed in stock in a nearby town. Expect no stock or higher prices going forward.

edellson likes this.
  8. powernoodle

powernoodle

I still have about $500 worth of these left over from the Bird Flu hoax. Seriously.

9. edellson

edellson

Mine came in today. They are individually wrapped with only a lot number. No date anywhere, but seem to be of good quality.

10. cbird77

cbird77

I heard on talk radio that this is pretty much the only mask to get that actually works and hard to find. I will buy me a box JIC.

11. fasteddie565

fasteddie565 Combat Diver

I just ordered about 200 from sportsmansguide.com Due in tomorrow.

12. Quigley

Quigley Elite Member

The last known user never got Coronavirus so you know that they work.
    [​IMG]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

TheDreadnought and DocCasualty like this.
  13. cciman

cciman

ONLY those who are sick, should wear the masks, to keep from spreading (by breathing or coughing) to others!!!!! But the hands still touch everything.

To put them on and make them work, you have to touch your face. If your hands and face are already contaminated, it won't work, because invariably you will contact the interior, and then breath from it- thus breathing through the contaminate, instead of fresh air that has lower concentrations of virus.

While you are breathing through it, your breath is highly humid (mask material gets wet) and the exterior of the mask will remain contaminated if it contacts other contaminated air, or surfaces, so virus will concentrate (live) on the mask surface, and stay there much longer than a dry surface. You have to touch it to remove it, (and again to put it on: if you reuse it), it becomes the source.

The Mask becomes the problem, not the solution.

Last edited: Mar 10, 2020
    Rank Stranger likes this.
  14. cowboy1964

cowboy1964

Wait, you mean all the doctors and nurses in hospitals and offices are actually the sick ones??!

15. Mister Clean

Mister Clean

Hmmmmmm.

A) What if you take the facemask out of the package by handling only the straps or elastic bands? Do you think you could do that without touching the facemask itself? And what if you never touch the facemask itself but bend at the waist to allow gravity to assist you to line up the facemask? And then lift the facemask to your face by handling only the straps or elastic bands to fasten/loop the facemask attachment(s) behind your ears/head? I know I can do this because that is how I do it ...

B) Why would you invariably touch the interior of the facemask? For that matter, why would you touch the exterior of the face mask? (see A above)

C) Facemasks with an exhalation valve are a viable option to help reduce the humidity levels inside the facemask. Swap out the facemask when it is no longer effective? Nothing lasts forever?

D) Au contraire mon ami. (see A above and reverse the procedure for removal of the facemask)

YMMV
    :cheers:

Last edited: Mar 10, 2020
  16. Mathemagician1

Mathemagician1

Right. So you wear gloves while you take the mask off and throw the gloves away with the mask. Or, you simply take the mask off and wash/sanitize your hands before touching your face. It's not rocket science.

17. cciman

cciman

This is not TV or movies. Not so easy in reality. Most people do not know how to use these masks.

Masks don't always fit when they come ot of the package- the nose bridge needs to adjusted, and the tenting of the mask sometimes needs to be shaped to fit the face-- often by sticking your fingers on the inside. If the hands are contaminated when you put them on/off, you are contaminating the interior or the exterior of the mask.

Without testing and proper fitting (specific procedure to evaluate the seal), the mask can be too small or too large.

If you wear glasses, or have beard or stubble, good luck with an air tight fit.

When you move your head, the mask will shift, requiring re-adjustment (with your hands).

Humidity builds up inside within a few minutes, depending on your level of activity, and eventually migrates to the filter material (a wet media prolongs and increases the infectability of whatever "germs" get onto that media surface- increasing the risk of touching that mask as time goes on), or else makes the mask unbearable, restrictive, so you fidget with it-- pulling at it. Many people touch their face 50 times an hour-- it will be worse with the mask because of false sense of security, and discomfort of the mask.

Last edited: Mar 11, 2020
    edellson likes this.
  18. cciman

cciman

Masks are like body armor, weapon mounted lights, helmets, and night vision-- you don't just buy one and assume you know how to use it, or wear it.

BTW, I am a physician that works in the operating room, and need (and have used) PPE in certain circumstances (TB, respiratory fungi, comes to mind specifically). I understand sterile technique and procedure, and I can spot poor processes, and common contamination mistakes people make.

The actual sick person wearing the mask makes much more sense:
    less material utilization/waste of resources-- one sick person with a mask vs 100 fearful people with masks.
    respiratory aerosolization of infective material is somewhat limited by that mask vs coughing into hands (that touches other things before being washed), or material not designed to filter droplets (elbow, clothing).

Last edited: Mar 11, 2020
    edellson and papershoot like this.
  19. walkinguf61

walkinguf61

The mask question?

Does it prevent infection? The surgical masks on a sick person helps contain/catch the germs. But the gaps letting unfiltered air in on the sides makes it less effective.

A proper N95 mask worn and removed properly can absolutely prevent airborne inflection.
    Go see what the quarantine areas of hospitals issue to immune compromised patients. It works.

20. Blanton

Blanton

Well said. Before retiring I finished my career in Occupational Medicine. Most employees requiring the use of respirator masks are also required to undergo FIT testing. If it doesn't fit correctly it doesn't work correctly

Cali-Glock likes this.