N00b In Montana

Discussion in 'Introduction Forum' started by LinuxLover, Apr 21, 2018.

1. LinuxLover

LinuxLover Ba-nan-nah-nuh

Just bought my first pistol in over 50 years. Its a Glock 20 Gen4 10mm.

I bought the Glock as bear repellent since I had three very close bear 'encounters' while trout fishing here on The Bitterroot River last year.

10mm was my first and only choice since I've done a lot of research on the efficacy of the available calibers that are touted as anti-ursine. None seemed to have the knock-down of 10mm, especially when you have 15+1 available and then being a semi-auto made the closing argument for me.

The only purpose of me buying the Glock is for my own protection when I'm out and only concentrating on the trout instead of looking around and seeing if there's any bear poop, bushes moving, growling, something large staring at me as a quick source of protein, etc.

Just for kicks and giggles I took a Bear Defense Class - actually it was by the person from whom I purchased my Glock. Buying a new G20 from him got me the BDC instructions.

Did you know that if you are a right handed shooter, that you should sidestep to your left as you turn to 'attempt' to sidestep a bear's charge?
    That way you can present your weapon and keep firing with your right hand as the bear attempts a sharp turn.
    I don't ever think I'll let a bear get that close to me.... I view a 'warning shot' as the waste of a good bullet. ​

Mostly I'll keep my pistol 100% Glock.....even though I wandered off the reservation just a tad....with a larger slide release.

I CCW in a CQC Blackhawk cross-draw hip holster and load Underwood 140 gr XP --- but in bear country, I O/C so I don't have any clothing in the way.

In Montana, anyone can CCW outside of city limits and outside of mining camps (go figger that one!). Anyone can Open Carry anywhere, but for the times that I fish inside a city limits, I'm covered with my CCW permit.

My last unarmed bear spotting was on the opposite side of The Bitterroot River - INSIDE the city limits of Hamilton - and I don't know, nor do I care if it was a brown, white, black or polka-dotted bear ---> it doesn't matter. That last one made me nervous enough to buy my Glock.

The river was only 30 feet wide at that point - and shallow. If the bear actually saw or smelled me - it could have had a warm (98.6 degree) snack in three bear-steps.

Heavy4Caliber, flyby1971 and kaisooba like this.
  2. okrob

okrob

Welcome and the 20 sounds like a great choice for you and your circumstances.

3. kaisooba

kaisooba

4. ZX14R

ZX14R Silver Member

Welcome to GT!

5. pipedreams

pipedreams "Knowledge Speaks - Wisdom Listens,"

Enjoy GT.............:welcome:

6. steve1911

steve1911

Welcome!

1911club#410

7. Borg Warner

Borg Warner

I'd recommend the doubletap 200 grain grain hardcast for bear protection. It develops 1300fps/750 fpe as tested out of a glock 20 barrel. Buy two boxes, one to practice with, one for carry. and after shooting the hardcast lead be sure an clean your barrel good with a stiff bronze bore brush. Otherwise you will have no trouble shooting lead out of your Glock Barrel.

I've been using this load for years in my G20SF and I use the factory recoil spring weitght but with a lone Wolf captured stainless steel spring guide.

8. flyby1971

flyby1971

Hello and Welcome.

9. Truth&Balance

Truth&Balance

10. bac1023

bac1023

11. Heavy4Caliber

Heavy4Caliber

Welcome aboard from North Carolina!

12. Paul7

Paul7