Glock Forum - GlockTalk banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
2,943 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
First off; HI!

I just bought my first pistol (Glock 26) and have some questions about ammo. Can someone tell me a good website to order carry ammo and range ammo? I've found a couple places that sell range ammo in 1,000 round lots but that sounds like a bit much. I'd feel much more comfortable buying 500 rounds of range ammo and 100 rounds of carry ammo.

Then what should I look for in range ammo? I know better than to buy the cheapest thing I can but I don't want to pay $1/bullet either.

Then there is the carry ammo. How often should I shoot it at the range? I've heard lots of different recommendations on this so any input is appreciated.

Thanks in advance!

·
Registered
1,102 Posts
Here is my opinion on ammo. Carry ammo I like gold dot and hyrashoks but most reputable companies sd ammo is fine. For the range I say the cheaper the better. My glocks in 9mm's handle most everything fine (russian crap... whatever I find cheap) the money you save u can buy another gun.. but you won't need to.
Plenty of folks will probably say different, but that is my opinion. If the gun will run it shoot it. Gucci ammo doesn't make you a better shooter.

·
Registered
9,206 Posts
Welcome and congrats on your new G26!

Well for range ammo, stick with factory new ammo loaded with jacketed/plated lead bullets. Don't shoot reloads or remanufactured. And don't shoot unjacketed lead bullets in the Glock-brand barrel. You may have reliability issues with 115gr target loads like Federal Champion, Remington UMC, and Winchester White Box, but it's target ammo so I wouldn't worry too much about reliability with that stuff. Within those brands, 124gr and 147gr should function 100%, and most others brands regardless of grain should function flawlessly.

For carry ammo, I'd try to shoot at least one magazine - maybe two or three - of your chosen carry ammo the first time, just to make sure it functions. Some people will say to shoot 50-200 rounds of your carry ammo, but at $1+ per round that's just not possible for most people.

As others have said, if you can find 50-round boxes of Winchester Ranger T or SXT, they're usually $29-$35 a box.

·
Mediocre Member
2,244 Posts
I'm behind on great places to buy ammo. I reload my own now :supergrin:.

As far as practice vs. carry ammo shooting. I shoot at least 500 rounds of FMJ and 100 rounds of my carry ammo before I carry the weapon.

Shoot what you can afford. If you can get to the range once a year, fine. Mulitple times a month, fine. You don't have to shoot carry ammo all the time, but make sure it functions with the weapon. I'll shoot my carry ammo from time to time to get rid of the older ammo when I buy or reload new. I mostly carry Gold Dots and Golden Sabers.

·
USAF Vet
10,161 Posts
If you buy a box of 50 round Winchester Ranger 147 SXT they are usually $29.97 plus tax which is about $0.65 a round. Always shoot a few rounds of whatever ammo just to see how it feeds and if you don't mind the recoil. Normally not an issue with Glocks but just on the safer side.

·
John 3:16
6,561 Posts
Check out some of the advertisers on this sight, they help keep it running. I've ordered from a few of them and always had good service.

·
MacGyver
7,508 Posts
You don't need much carry ammo. One box will last you years (hopefully you never have to shoot it).

Buy lots of practice ammo. 1000 round lots is a good start, especially for your first class....Shooting is not inate. Invest in professional training from the start, so bad habits aren't ingrained.

·
Banned
466 Posts
First off; HI!

I just bought my first pistol (Glock 26) and have some questions about ammo. Can someone tell me a good website to order carry ammo and range ammo? I've found a couple places that sell range ammo in 1,000 round lots but that sounds like a bit much. I'd feel much more comfortable buying 500 rounds of range ammo and 100 rounds of carry ammo.

Then what should I look for in range ammo? I know better than to buy the cheapest thing I can but I don't want to pay $1/bullet either.

Then there is the carry ammo. How often should I shoot it at the range? I've heard lots of different recommendations on this so any input is appreciated.

Thanks in advance!
Cheaper Than Dirt is great with a large selection with great prices. For Practice the Tulammo is what I have been using, For defensive carry just about any hollow point will suit you.

http://www.cheaperthandirt.com/ItemListing.aspx?catid=736

Enjoy and stay safe:wavey:

·
Registered
1,276 Posts
I found great deals on remington golden sabre 124 gr + p. That is what I use as carry ammo. Glocks love that stuff. I try to go to Walmart and get the federal champion 115 gr for 10.47 a box. I've shoot about a thousand of these and never experienced a single problem. I have a gen 3 g19. Anything cheap will suffice. I've also shoot a ton of remington UMC 115 gr without a single problem. Check out ammunitiontogo.com. they have gold dot 50 packs instead of 20 packs for the same price.

·
Florida's Left Coast
9,498 Posts
...Can someone tell me a good website to order carry ammo and range ammo? I've found a couple places that sell range ammo in 1,000 round lots but that sounds like a bit much. I'd feel much more comfortable buying 500 rounds of range ammo and 100 rounds of carry ammo...
I can tell you it won't be cost effective to order online unless you're buying in case lots (usually 1K rounds of 9mil). If you want to buy in smaller quantities, Wal-Mart is generally the cheapest - though you won't find anything exotic there... sometimes not even 124 gr and almost certainly not 147 gr. range ammo.

Police departments that have the budget for it, shoot practice/training ammo and duty ammo with ballistic equivalents. For competition, I shoot at a match, whatever I practice with. The idea behind these two strategies is obvious - though costs will likely be more than they could be.

Once I settle on a round/gun combination that works, I order 2K or 3K at a time. Some of my friends order 5K-10K at a time. Because of shipping, the more you order, the cheaper cost/round. At times (frequently), I can beat Wal-Mart prices, but most of what I shoot isn't available at Wal-Mart.

Here's how I find the best online deal:
I have a smart phone with a barcode scanner app and 'shoot' the barcode on boxes of ammo that I want to find for purchase. Press a button in the app, and it searches the web for the best deal and sorts them in price-order. If you don't have a box barcode (UPC) to 'shoot', you can get the UPC code for nearly anything, off the web - then search manually for that UPC in Google Shopper, or another 'shopping' app.

I personally would not buy reloaded or factory remanufactured ammo - but many, many do; even police departments and other agencies. If I get so picky that I can no longer find what I need off the shelf, I suppose I'll have to start reloading, myself.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts