N. Korea sentences US man to 8 years of hard labor

Discussion in 'The Okie Corral' started by Smashy, Apr 6, 2010.

1. Smashy

Smashy

Apr 6, 2010 (8:53p CDT)
    By HYUNG-JIN KIM
    Associated Press Writer

SEOUL, South Korea

North Korea said Wednesday it has sentenced an American man to eight years' hard labor and a fine equivalent to $700,000 for entering the country illegally and unspecified hostile acts.

Aijalon Mahli Gomes was fined 70 million won after acknowledging his wrongdoing during a court trial Tuesday, the North's official Korean Central News Agency said in a brief dispatch.

[​IMG]

South Korea's Unification Ministry said the official exchange rate in North Korea is 100 North Korean won to one dollar, which means the fine would equal $700,000.

Representatives of the Swedish Embassy in North Korea, which looks after U.S. interests in the country, witnessed the trial at their request, it said.

The North said last month that it arrested Gomes, 30, of Boston on Jan. 25 for trespassing after he crossed into the country from China.

Gomes is the fourth American detained in communist North Korea on charges of illegal entry in little over 12 months.

Two American journalists, Laura Ling and Euna Lee, were arrested in March last year near the Chinese border and sentenced to 12 years of hard labor for illegal entry and engaging in hostile acts. They were freed in August after former U.S. President Bill Clinton made a high-profile humanitarian visit to Pyongyang to negotiate their release.

On Christmas, American missionary Robert Park strode into North Korea from China on a self-proclaimed mission to draw attention to North Korea's human rights record and to call for leader Kim Jong Il to step down. He was released in February after more than 40 days in custody.

It was not immediately clear why Gomes, a graduate of Bowdoin College in Maine who taught English in South Korea, went to the North.

The State Department has said the U.S. wants to make sure he is returned to the United States as soon as possible.

http://kai03.qwest.com/WindowsLive/...&id=D9ETUB3G0@news.ap.org&client=gadget&qid=0

2. Gthirty9

Gthirty9

They shouldn't have entered the country illegally.... what did they expect?

3. skanless

skanless IPA ISLAND

:agree:

4. american lockpicker

american lockpicker License to Il

I wonder what this "unspecified hostile acts" means? I know I've seen videos of people crossing from China to N. Korea on the internet and using guides and they had no trouble.

5. M2 Carbine

M2 Carbine

Too bad our government isn't as serious about people illegally entering the US.:upeyes:

6. Ol Timer

Ol Timer ↓ hog hunter ↓ Millennium Member

I don't know if that's Gomes pictured above or if those are photos he took to expose a possible human rights agenda. :dunno:

7. Easterbrook

Easterbrook Wagon Burner

And WTF, is the guy wearing two scarfs?

8. itstime

itstime

We need to do the same thing here.

9. happy seal

happy seal

let him serve the time. people going into their country relying on political powers to get them out is BS. they know not to go there.

10. fnfalman

fnfalman Chicks Dig It

I shed no tears for this fool.

11. Trigun

Trigun

If we publicly rescue every idiot that crosses into countries like this in search of their 15 minutes or even the few who may genuinely think they are helping, then it is just going to encourage more people to do it.

Exactly, I say add two more years just for that.

12. hamster

hamster NRA Life Member

Is he wearing a Man Purse? :)

13. drew4691

drew4691

aint that the truth :rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl:

14. crimsonaudio

crimsonaudio 15 or 30?

No, that's a Maxpediti..., ahhh screw it - yah, that's a murse.

15. Glock-1982

Glock-1982

Yeah, they should have stopped Columbus from entering

16. fnfalman

fnfalman Chicks Dig It

If Columbus were stupid enough to try to land on North Korea with Jim Jung Il (or is it Il Jung?) in charge, then he should be hauled off to the salt mine too.

17. INJoker

INJoker Simply Charming

<--- Wishes WE would start sentencing people who enter illegally to 10 years of hard labor.

Hell, I'm in a kind mood, so I would even say that afterward, they would be granted full citizenship.

That seems like a fair consequence to me.

I cannot believe that the .gov keeps bailing these idiots out. This guy is 30... He is a big boy. He knows the rules and the possible consequences of his actions. He wanted to make a statement, and he made it.

:cool:

18. INJoker

INJoker Simply Charming

Right or wrong, we came, we saw, we conquered.

As sensitive as I am to the treatment of Native Americans, slavery, etc. our country would not be what it is today without its history. We can't change what happened in the past.

We can, however, change what is happening NOW, and what will happen in the future.

19. Trigun

Trigun

Actually some tribes used the settlers almost as a weapon against other tribes or as a block to prevent warring tribes from slaughtering each other. This idea that all natives sat around one big circle and held hands is silly revisionist BS.

Last edited: Apr 7, 2010
  20. mike253

mike253 NRA - IWLA

It would have been cheaper for the U.S. tax payers if they would have publicly executed the stupid bastard.

ATTENTION FUTURE WANNA BE WORLD SAVERS: Most countries in the world aren't like the U.S., they do NOT give you "public assitance" for illegally entering the country, they put you in prison.

I'm quite sick of hearing about how the U.S. needs to spend my tax dollars to save Joe Dumbass from whatever punishment he's getting for screwing around in whatever foreign country.