Glock Talk banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

· Lean & Mean
16,636 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Leaving for Vegas in couple of hours, but need some help with id a strange 870 that showed up in the local gun store. The owner sent me some pictures and he claims that it's in brand new, unfired condition. Price is on level with current Express offerings. My best guess is that it was made in the early 90's...judging by the box, but I'm not sure. Silver bolt, blued receiver and 20" parkerized? ...barrel with the bead sight.
That thing confused the hell out of me. I think I may buy it, even though it was probably per-owned (not according to the shop owner though). Have you seen one like that before?

· The Cooler
770 Posts
Leaving for Vegas in couple of hours, but need some help with id a strange 870 that showed up in the local gun store. The owner sent me some pictures and he claims that it's in brand new, unfired condition. Price is on level with current Express offerings. My best guess is that it was made in the early 90's...judging by the box, but I'm not sure. Silver bolt, blued receiver and 20" parkerized? ...barrel with the bead sight.
That thing confused the hell out of me. I think I may buy it, even though it was probably per-owned (not according to the shop owner though). Have you seen one like that before?

Nester,

If my memory serves me correctly, the Davis stock was an option on Police 870's going back a number of years and I think that the Davis stocks were the forerunner to the Speedfeed brand of stocks.

I don't know if the Davis stock makes the gun more valuable to a collectors but as a shooter, it seems be a common configuration.

If the price was right and you wanted a new shotgun, then it seems to be a good deal at Express pricing.

· Registered
4,159 Posts
The "condition" might be "new"/unfired; the gun is used or old stock with a mismatched, Parkerized barrel, but the rest of the gun is blued. I don't care for 20" barrels, otherwise, if you don't mind any of these things, go ahead.

· Registered
14,129 Posts
The silver bolt is normal, but I have never seen a mismatch of a barrel and receiver like that in a new gun. Not saying its impossible, just odd. My $0.02 is to look for an older Wingmaster, there are many out there.

· Registered
3,256 Posts
Sorry to say but... I have purchased and inspected dozens of 870P (police) model shotguns.

The 870 P was and continues to be available in either Blued or Parkerized finish.

But I dare say NEVER in a "Pinto" configuration.

Allow me to opine that sometimes "strange thing happen" in police armories.

I have worked in places where shotguns, (particularly locker queens) were clean and lubed in batches once every year or so.

How they went back together was irrelevant to the "young'in" who was assigned the duty.

In fact due to the ability to interchange barrels without ill effect, probably irrelevant to the holder of the keys either.

Being that the weapon apparently has it's original box. it is possible it laid hidden for years with this.... mis-match.

· Time to Go....
413 Posts
Sounds like a mismatch to me, I've never heard of this combo before. I like the suggestion of find an old Wingmaster. I think the quality went down hill after Remington was purchased by Freedom Group. I have a really nice 1970 Wingmaster that has a smooth as butter action. A big difference, IMHO, to the newer 870's, of which my sons own two . It appears to me that the newer models don't have the fit and finish, nor the great action of the older 870s.You should be able to find an older Wingmaster on the used market. Good luck.

Sarge

· Lean & Mean
16,636 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks Guys! I may take a look at that shotgun if it's still going to be available next week.

· Registered
1,727 Posts

No way is that considered a new gun. He may have picked it up on trade and he can not tell you it is unfired. Also, as the other guys stated that gun has parts from other models and is not original. The stock you are seeing is a modern synthetic set that is made for Remington by Speedfeed and comes standard on the modern 870 P's and some of the other models.

Any gun that was sold retail to someone is now a used gun. It could be listed as Used unfired but unless the dealer bought it and has had possession of it and knows it is unfired and never sold retail then that dealer is wrong to claim it is new. I he is simply taking some ones word that it is unfired?

Red flags sent off alarms when you saw it and when he told you about it so I say go with that.

· Lean & Mean
16,636 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thank You. Wise words indeed.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.