close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

My workout program. need opinions

Discussion in 'Strength & Conditioning' started by notoriouskeef, Jan 26, 2006.

1. notoriouskeef

notoriouskeef Keef

Well i've made a few posts here and started working out. I can't really go "balls to the wall" until I get my tonsils out, feb 15th. B/c for example, the workout i'm about to post, if I do, I get sick about two weeks later for like a month and always have ever since high school. So I finally got approval to get my tonsils out, i'm so pumped. anyway, here is the program I just kinda put together from various sources.

I have a bowflex at home so this is setup for a bowflex. The cardio will consist of brisk walking adding incline every couple mins to get the heart rate up and then down to 70% of max heart rate again. Will include jogging with the occasional sprint to get heart rate up and then back again. I would like to add swimming too but will have to monitor my heart rate somehow.

Abs consist of. 10 different ab exercises 20 times for a total of 200 "crunches" it's a killer ab workout.

[​IMG]

I work 12 hour shifts on shift work so i'm constanly changing my sleep schedule. So the workout will be different almost every 3 days lol. Eating is the hardest for me. I know nothing about supplements, protein, when to take what etc... I will be looking into that and build a chart for myself for that as well. Tell me what you all think and anything I should add or take away.

Thanks,
    Matt

2. jlpayne86

jlpayne86

Matt,
    One thing i learned is you never stop elarning about your body! It will change with your program, remember what works for some might not others.
    I eat a lot of protien, One muscle group a day and cardio six days a week, hard cardio.
    If you are unsure of supplements then eat chicken, salads , and wheat type carbs. wheat pasta is really pretty good. lots of green beans and broccolli, cabbagge the like
    I love the myoplex line of protien shakes which are great meal replacements. Eat as many times a day as you can five ro six better for your metabolism and fat burning rate.
    And be careful swimming to much, it is great exercise for all youre muscle groups, but if you are tryin to burn fat, youre body will most likely keep some fat as an insulator for the cooler water.
    again these are jsut some things that worked for me personally

3. ateamer

ateamer NRA4EVR

Lose the flies, tricep extensions, leg extensions/curls and reverse flies. Stick with the basics.

4. notoriouskeef

notoriouskeef Keef

As in? Keep in mind I have never seriouslly lifted before.

Matt

5. b8es_

b8es_

Two types of lifts: Multi-joint and Single-joint...usually the multi-joint exercises are considered the "basics"

Multi-joint:
    Any press
    Any row(like bent rows and pullups)
    Squat
    Deadlift
    Anything that makes more than one joint move

Single-joint:
    Any curls
    Any extensions
    Any flys

Some single-joint stuff is ok, but doing mostly multi-joint is best.

6. ateamer

ateamer NRA4EVR

Workout 1:
    Bench
    Close Grip Bench
    Military Press
    Situps

Workout 2:
    Squat
    Stifflegged Deadlift (every other workout)
    Pullups or Rows
    Hanging Leg Raises

Work out on Monday-Wednesday-Friday with alternating workouts. The first workout, such as Workout 1 on Monday, do three sets of five on each exercise; ab work can be done for higher reps, but try doing situps with enough weight so you can only do no more than eight reps. The second workout, such as Workout 1 done on Friday of that same week, do three sets of ten on each exercise. In each workout, use enough weight so that you can only get the prescribed reps. It is a good idea to not work to failure, but leave one rep in the rack. (The rep you fail on will be the one with bad form and get you hurt.)

Stifflegged deadlifts are only done every other time you do workout 2, on the low-rep day.

Begin the workout with warmups (and they are just that - warmups, not work sets). Don't do any more warmups than are necessary to get ready for the work sets. Once you have done the work sets on the first exercise, no warmups are necessary with the other exercises. Go right to the work weight. Rest as short a time as possible between sets. Each workout should take no longer than 30-35 minutes.

Every six or eight weeks, on the heavy day, work up to a heavy single. If you have competent spotters, don't be afraid to max out and test your strength, as long as you can do it with proper form.

Drink a gallon of milk a day, along with good meals. Mix in some protein powder with a few of those glasses of milk and you won't help but get significantly stronger and bigger.

7. b8es_

b8es_

I was about to say that looks a little like Westside, especially the working up to a heavy single, then I saw your sig.

8. ateamer

ateamer NRA4EVR

Actually, that workout isn't very Westside. Westside involves one dynamic day (using moderate to light weight for very fast reps) to build speed, and a max day (using maximal weights - on lifts other than full-range squat, bench and deadlift - to build absolute strength). What I posted is a good all-around strength workout.

I have pretty much gotten away from Westside, at least for the time being. I respond well to doing the competitive lifts every week, and enjoy it best, too. My training has morphed into doing between four and ten singles with heavy weight (about 95% or a tad more) on the bench and squat, on separate days, adding a bit each week. As the weight goes up, volume goes down. Deadlift is every other week, after squats. On deadlift days, I do just two or three squat singles and follow with four to six deadlifts. This is working for me. Traditional progressive overload doesn't work for me with all the reps and the reduced weight in the beginning and middle of the cycle. I need to train heavy all the time or lose the edge. That, plus having a personal preference for always training the lifts as they are done in a meet makes this scheme work for me.

I highly encourage everyone to find what works for them and design their own training. What works for me might not work for anyone else. Of course, Louie Simmons would probably say something about like that - if you get stronger from it, do it.

9. b8es_

b8es_

You're right, it isnt very Westside, but it is a little, like I said. The one thing I saw that I never hear anyone but Westside and Metal Militia talk about : on the heavy day, work up to a heavy single

I definitely wasnt saying you were copying Westside. I like Westside, especially for turning me onto box squats.;a

10. California Jack

California Jack Millennium Member

I can't add anything new, but I agree with ateamer and bates. Compound lifts.

Ateamer's upper/lower split is one I'm gonna try sometime.

ateamer, thanks for the update on your training. The other day I was wondering how your change was working out for you. Are you still pulling from the rack the weeks you aren't DLing?

Jack

11. ateamer

ateamer NRA4EVR

I am - either rack pulls or power shrugs (shrugs done with a bit of leg kick to get started). Power shrugs actually leave my traps a lot more sore and worked than when done in strict form. When I do rack pulls, they are usually from the bottom of the kneecap, at my sticking point.

12. mrwiggins

mrwiggins lookout ladies

i'll have to make a post myself. good luck with your program man. don't forget about the push-up's and crunches... lord knows i wish i did mine more.

13. California Jack

California Jack Millennium Member

ateamer-- I haven't done any shrugging for a long time, but when I do, I do power shrugs.