My Wife's Favorite Cousin is a Druggie

Discussion in 'The Okie Corral' started by Russ Not the Mod, Oct 25, 2020.

1. G30SF/F-250

G30SF/F-250 Pinky Out

PA to LA to NY to FL to IL to VA to GA to OH to FL
    I am not a fan of broad accusations.

Jonesee likes this.
  2. Gray Dood

Gray Dood

I didn't accuse you of being a broad.

But I have heard rumors since you brought it up.

3. mdlott

mdlott

These geriatric dudes make me laugh. Not amicably.

Wow at the disconnect.

G30SF/F-250 likes this.
  4. IamtheNRA

IamtheNRA

I believe people should be able to make their own choices, but also must bear the consequences of those choices.

My brother, who is a year younger than me, was a druggie growing up. Our parents busted him for weed, pills, you name it. After our dad died, we split the inheritance. I bought a condo. He moved in with some sketchy friends in NYC and basically pissed his money away on drugs and other foolishness. For the past 20 years, I have called him on his birthday and left him a voicemail. About 10 years ago, he stopped calling me back. I've had the same cellphone number since 1999, so it's not like he doesn't know how to get a hold of me. Maybe he's dead, maybe he's in prison, or maybe he's still pissed off that I wouldn't loan him $10K and co-sign on a car loan for him. Heh...I love you, man, but I'm not stupid.

Drugs can **** you up, man...they really can.

Last edited: Oct 26, 2020
  5. G30SF/F-250

G30SF/F-250 Pinky Out

Not everyone.

Some people can party and go to work the next day being a functioning part of society.

IamtheNRA likes this.
  6. IamtheNRA

IamtheNRA

Good point. I added a "can" to my statement. YMMV. In my brother's case, his mileage sucked.

G30SF/F-250 likes this.
  7. Caver 60

Caver 60

Maybe for a while? But it won't be long till they are on the street.

8. G30SF/F-250

G30SF/F-250 Pinky Out

Really?

And you know this how?

Syclone0538 likes this.
  9. thespork

thespork

Meh...
    My dad is/was a functioning alcoholic, always worked... Crappy father in many respects,but fed,clothed and put me through college

Another family member is a pot head and is a tenured professor...

William halstead (the guy the hospital is named after), the creator of modern surgery,was a life long, medical grade, coke and smackhead

Last edited: Oct 27, 2020
    IamtheNRA and G30SF/F-250 like this.
  10. sarge83

sarge83

I think everyone has a relative in this mess. I have a cousin who is in her 30's, she has 5 kids. One was the most crack addicted baby born at the UT hospital in Knoxville. She tried to take a hit in the bathroom of the delivery room. Her aunt adopted 3 of the kids and another relative adopted the last two and the state finally ordered her tubes tied.

Her mother was going to give her up for adoption when she was a baby but the grandmother said I'll raise her. Her mom will not give her a penny for anything. The grandmother was enabler who kept giving her money hand over fist in defiance of her grandfathers wishes, they had many fights over this and finally the grandfather said you will rue the day you didn't let me intervene and do the right thing and he withdrew and would have no part in enabling the granddaughter-he was right. For all the grandmothers help the cousin broke into her grandparents home several times, stole weapons and other items, pawned them, got caught and the grandmother would drop the charges.

A couple of years ago her grandmother passed suddenly and her grandfather has Alzheimer and is being taken care of by one of his daughters. Pill head cousin came to this aunt and started with the I need money for food, this and that and the aunt said then I suggest you get a job. But granny gave me money and you are in charge of her money. The aunt said that's right and I am using it to take care of grandpa and YOUR three kids, the free ride is over. If you want to eat I will fix you food but your not getting one dollar from me.

Now the cousin rarely comes around any family except one uncle, she is busted and in and out of local jails and in and out of rehabs. The one uncle is also a druggie, he started with weed in the 80's and has progressed. He's lost jobs, been in and out of jail and rehabs. I think him and his niece feed off each others addictions at times. His mom the grandmother of the cousin also enabled him and his habits and he's hitting the family up for money, rides ect... He tried my Dad a couple times and he flat out told him I will not help you with any cash and I am not hauling you all over creation. If you want to eat I will buy you food but otherwise no and he's rarely seen anymore. I wish they would seek treatment but until they actually want to change all the rehabs in the world are useless and money wasted.

Caver 60 likes this.
  11. Gray Dood

Gray Dood

Agreed.

Doesn't really matter what you want for them. They are adults and have to live with poor decisions like everyone else.

I will add that I believe that addiction ( and there are many who use and are not addicted) is a disease, but just like any disease if YOU don't seek treatment, and follow the treatment prescribed, it can eventually kill you. Nobody's fault but your own.

Darwin never sleeps.

Caver 60 likes this.
  12. BobbyS

BobbyS Truth always sounds like lies to a sinner

must be a coincidence. my wife's favorite cousin is my mistress

13. Upgrayedd

Upgrayedd

At least she ain't your cousin. ;)

14. BobbyS

BobbyS Truth always sounds like lies to a sinner

I don't live in no holler

15. Syclone0538

Syclone0538

Crazy that people believe this. I guarantee there are people you know, that do drugs, and you think they don't. Drugs can absolutely destroy lives, but to believe nobody can function long term is bizarre.

16. railfancwb

railfancwb

A trick learned by many when creating ABC stores to sell booze. Then endless complaining about medical costs of drunks

17. railfancwb

railfancwb

Two men talking and walking along a Paris street saw a couple women walking toward them. One man grabbed the other by the arm and pulled him into a store. As the women walked by the grabber said “That was close! One of those women was my wife and the other my mistress.” “Funny, I was about to say the same thing.”

Syclone0538 likes this.
  18. IamtheNRA

IamtheNRA

Yup. My father was an alcoholic, but he only drank after work. He was one of the hardest-working people you'd ever meet, and he would give my brother or me the shirt off his back if we asked for it. He was a Navy Corpsman in the Korean War and he had a lot of demons, if you know what I mean. He never abused us...he just got all mouthy and obnoxious when he was drunk...all bark, no bite. He had a lot of guns, too, but to his credit, he only ever shot one TV set. :D