GlockTalk Forum banner

21 - 40 of 78 Posts

·
Registered
1,170 Posts
My wife's cousins grew up together in a semi-suburban community and they were very close. There were 2 brothers and one of them grew up rough. In jail a lot or on probation. The other was a good family man, raised 2 kids right and had a great life as a car salesman. He got commendations all the time from this particular company and did a lot of community stuff for free on his spare time.
In the last year he has lost a great paying job, kicked his wife of more than 30 years out on the street. What a turn around from what he once was. This guy has got to be in his mid 50's and I can't for the life of me figure out what the hell went wrong in his mind.
I hate this crap the dope dealers are putting out on the street that can get people so hooked up that they just go freaking upside down in their life.
/rant off
That sucks. I never even tried any sort of drugs beyond alcohol. To a degree, I understand how kids that are young and naïve get hooked. An adult really should know better.

The best speaker I ever heard about this was Chris Herren. I was assigned to a police detail at one of his speeches at our local high school. He's a great speaker and discussed in detail his dabbling in drugs that led to a heroin addiction that ended his NBA career, and almost caused his death due to an OD. He also described how he recovered.

https://herrentalks.com/about/

https://www.amazon.com/Basketball-Junkie-Memoir-Chris-Herren/dp/1250006899

·
NRA Life Member
63,391 Posts
I hate this crap the dope dealers are putting out on the street that can get people so hooked up that they just go freaking upside down in their life.
I don't blame the drugs or the dealers. I blame the people who choose to use it. A market generally starts with customers.

·
Wallbuilder and Weapon Bearer
116,455 Posts
Everybody has the right to buy and sell whatever addictive or poisonous drugs they wish, it's somewhere in the constitution between the right to privacy and the right to cross borders without passports. It's libertarian voluntarism versus authoritarianism, you ain't the boss of me.

·
Registered
2,978 Posts
Sometimes a person will turn to drugs because of a problem - or the use of drugs will be the cause of the problems. Don't put the cart before the horse.... or know which is the cart and which is the horse.

V

·
Registered
2,412 Posts
I have mentioned this before but my county in the northern atl exurbs is the "richest" in the state.
Within a few miles of my house I have spotted 2 homeless camps that weren't there.

I took it upon myself to go there with some care packages.

A lot of despair. So much sadness. It really shook me. I see myself in these people..
I've worked all my life, never begged a nickle, but I can see that pain.

Many of the folks there are 100% normal looking, young and middle aged white folks. Or at least they would be without the booze, meth and heroin sucking the life out of them

I'm just glad I never went to anything harder than booze and weed...

In a way, as horrible as it sounds, I'd love to nod out on some fentanyl."not a care in the world"
I've never been able to relax like that. Not in a long time. But people are counting on me, so I have to face the roller coaster called reality stone cold sober...

I thought I was ready to be a dry-drunk crusader, and do something to help, but sadly, I'm not ready to absorb all that.

·
Registered
2,412 Posts
Harris wittles was a comedy writer in LA (wrote on parks and rec and other shows)..
Led an amazing life. As a failed writer (among other things), I followed him with a lot of envy.
He got perscribed pills for a bad back, and got into pills bad..
Then he went to heroin, first snorting then shooting..
He chronicled it in this pod cast.
View: https://youtu.be/H5vJtmp58zw

6 weeks later he was dead of an OD.
I guess he has no regrets

·
Sarcasm Inc.
15,070 Posts
The only explanation I can figure is those people think they are missing out on something in life and turn to drugs to help them enjoy life. Then one day they wake up and figure everything that ever meant anything to them they pissed away

·
Registered
3,153 Posts
Only if said family allows it. Junkie family member? Cut em off! It’s difficult but it is the best thing for everyone. I did it and lo and behold that person is now years sober.
100% correct, however things get very complicated especially when kids are involved.

Heroine must be the best stuff in the world. I can't believe the extent people go through to get and use the stuff.

·
NRA Life Member
5,539 Posts
Agreed. But the dealers selling "the good stuff" isn't helping
It’s like so many temptations waved under the noses of people who are in a weakened state and at their most vulnerable point.

Yeah, it’s their fault for yielding, but one moment of weakness with bad drugs has much more dire and long lasting consequences than most lesser temptations.

The devil is the ultimate tempter, the dealers are merely serving as his minions.

·
Registered
13,059 Posts
Who could have thought that drug usage could end so badly?

Usually the outcome is so positive.

Dumb ass has thrown it all away. 100% his responsibility.

·
Registered
2,746 Posts
Who could have thought that drug usage could end so badly?

Usually the outcome is so positive.

Dumb ass has thrown it all away. 100% his responsibility.
Agreed-
No one in America doesn't know the reality of drug use before they head down that road.

·
Registered
6,903 Posts
Buddy I mine does whippets. Got cut off at the methadone clinic. Lives at home with dad at age 37. Sad. He was always super smart.
I've known many people who were very smart and into drugs and alcohol. It's somewhat counter intuitive because druggies are perceived to be stupid generally, but the smarter and more aware you are of the world around you the more an altered state of consciousness may have an appeal to some folks.

I feel like life would be much easier if one were just smart enough to work the buttons and levers and have a life sustaining job rather than be smart enough to contemplate life, world events, society, theology, politics etc.

·
Registered
2,412 Posts
Ss. Az
100% correct, however things get very complicated especially when kids are involved.

Heroine must be the best stuff in the world. I can't believe the extent people go through to get and use the stuff.
Heroin does seem like amazing stuff.
Ever see someone nodding out on heroin? Not a care in the world... Lucky bastards

Meth I don't get, doesn't seem that enjoyable from the outside looking in

·
Registered
161 Posts
watched my older cousins get into the drug life as we growed up in the 70's ,they either died or ruined their lives ,wife the same way ,This not the 1960's ,everyone knows exactly what each drug will do to you over the long run if your using it ,the computer and books have to much info ,about it .Except for people that had injuries and started with pain pills and got cut off ,and had to find a replacement ,i have sympthy for them, i can see that happening ,but people like my cousins ,and people at work who are 40 years old and decide one day to start taking crack ,meth or heiron ,losing all they had ,good job, family , not much sympathy there from me .Seen it to many times ,everyone tried to talk to them ,did no good they get no hand out from

·
Registered
2,513 Posts
To the O.P..

Don't concern yourself at all.

They are no longer family relations.

What exists now is the somewhat familiar shell of something that used to be human.

Now, they are simply a "drug fiend" .

My advise.... cut them off and don't look back.

Unfortunately, the weak have always been among us.

21 - 40 of 78 Posts