GlockTalk Forum banner

1 - 20 of 78 Posts

·
Registered
826 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My wife's cousins grew up together in a semi-suburban community and they were very close. There were 2 brothers and one of them grew up rough. In jail a lot or on probation. The other was a good family man, raised 2 kids right and had a great life as a car salesman. He got commendations all the time from this particular company and did a lot of community stuff for free on his spare time.
In the last year he has lost a great paying job, kicked his wife of more than 30 years out on the street. What a turn around from what he once was. This guy has got to be in his mid 50's and I can't for the life of me figure out what the hell went wrong in his mind.
I hate this crap the dope dealers are putting out on the street that can get people so hooked up that they just go freaking upside down in their life.
/rant off

·
Registered
14,393 Posts
It is the most baffling thing I have ever seen.

Addicts that refuse to beat their addiction.

·
Registered
2,168 Posts
Personal responsibility. It's his fault, not any drug dealers.
It absolutely is his fault, but prohibition, which prevents truth in advertising/product labels doesn't help.

·
Registered
3,153 Posts
I deal with addicts in my line of work of alcohol and drugs. I run into people that turn their life around in a great way and relapse. Yeah their fault but the draw to go back is very strong. I hope he is not on heroine. If so. This will get very bad. The problem is these people cause all kind of grief to family around them

·
Registered
3,240 Posts
Did not we just have a thread post “Drugs are bad”?

Reactions: Batesmotel

·
Registered
1,742 Posts
Best of luck to your family; especially your wife. Nobody wakes up and says, “Today’s the day I get hooked on drugs.” I have many friends from the military who turned to alcohol and drugs to deal with what we dealt with in combat. I don’t look down upon them, or your wife’s cousin. In fact, I trust them because of how they responded in the worst circumstances people can imagine.

·
Registered
6,824 Posts
I'm pretty hard core anti-drug (used to run a narcotics unit) but at his age I'm guessing he got on pain pills, probably started by a prescription for an injury and somehow got hooked. I've seen a lot of cases where responsible people get off on the pills with a script and it goes way off the tracks fairly quickly.
I could be wrong, but you don't see many 50-somethings just jump off on meth without some history of drug abuse.

·
Registered
10,173 Posts
Something else going on with his life, maybe he just doesn't care about living/dying anymore, pushed the wife away so he doesn't take her down, too...

·
Registered
4,043 Posts
And there it is, truth. It’s hard to swallow for some people. People need to take a look in the mirror and see who is responsible for their life and decisions.

I‘ve probably known 20 or so drug dealers in my life. I bought weed from a couple when I was in high school. But I decided I wanted a public service career and knew what I had to obtain it. That was an easy decision.

·
Registered
333 Posts
Buddy I mine does whippets. Got cut off at the methadone clinic. Lives at home with dad at age 37. Sad. He was always super smart.

1 - 20 of 78 Posts