My wife's cat is sick...HELP!

Discussion in 'Woof Memorial Critter's Corner' started by Tilley, Jul 26, 2007.

1. Tilley

Tilley Man of Steel

"Rex" is a spayed female cat, approximately 12 to 15 years old. Although she has always been a ditzy cat, she is very lovable. She has a good appetite, and has always been a bit...how do I say...bottom-heavy?

Within the last several months, she has slimmed down considerably. She is now very skinny, especially around her neck (very boney). She still has a decent appetite. She has never eaten table scraps, preferring her dry food. Lately she meows a lot, and wants meat from the 'frig. She meows quite a bit lately, and wants to be held.

I am concerned because of the sudden weight loss, and the strong desire for meat (additional protein?). She also seems very anxious.

Is this a normal thing for a cat her age? I am on a very fixed income, and the normal procedure is to run expensive lab tests. If this is a normal cycle for cats, I would rather save the money, but is this sounds serious, I need to try to make other arraingments for her to try and get help.

What do you folks think?

2. Grimsi

Grimsi Restored member

My kat Knuckles also has had a sudden extreme wieght loss, I think that some of that toxic food got to her.

Support and love is all I can give her, talk to your vet, ASAP!

Don't ignore it.

3. sdsnet

sdsnet NRA Member CLM

Sudden weight loss is not a good sign, especially for a normally plump cat. I would take her a vet as soon as you can get her there. Even if you can't afford it, tell the vet about your situation and see what they can do. It may be critical that you get her help right away.

I hope everything works out okay.

Please keep us posted.

4. Glockgirl26

Glockgirl26

One of the sergeants where I worked had a cat that he loved, which went through a similar problem. Severe weight loss no matter how good the appetite and how much it ate. IIRC, the cat turned out to have a liver ailment that was not cureable, and the Sarge eventually put it down when it got too sick.

Good luck, get that kitty to a vet ASAP.