close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

My wife got stopped in a "DUI checkpoint" this New Years...

Discussion in 'The Okie Corral' started by Gallium, Jan 3, 2010.

1. Gallium

Gallium CLM

Silly woman :hearts: is an avid church goer. She does the NYs Eve>NYD rollover every year religiously (was that a pun? :tempted:).

This year on the way back from church she is caught in the DUI checkpoint. It was snowing somewhat fair, with 2-3" in the ground and another couple of light inches expected.

Officer: Evening ma'am, where are you coming from, and where are you headed?

Her: Coming from church, headed home.

Officer: And where might that be ma'am.

Her: XYZ city (some 60 miles away).

Officer: HELL! That's a heck of a drive.

Her: (Relating to me) I can't believe I told him I was coming from church, and he said "Hell!".

Me: :rofl: :rofl:, then issuing a sheepish apology - combined for laughing, and for callous, insensitive men the world over. :animlol:

It really was a bad drive home. One part of the three lane highway was reduced (in spots) to one lane.

Me? I was home with the boys. I actually (as I often try to do) slept thru the new year transition.

'Drew

2. rockabillyrider

rockabillyrider

You never mentioned whether or not she passed the test.

3. NRA_guy

NRA_guy Unreconstructed

I have a friend who says that New Year's Eve drinking is for amateurs.

It's the ONLY night he doesn't drink.

4. Gallium

Gallium CLM

She did get some of the Holy Spirit at church, but the County PD have not yet been trained nor certified on detecting this... :supergrin:

5. ClydeG19

ClydeG19

He didn't follow her home?

6. napp32

napp32

New Year's Eve is a bad time to attend church here in GA. They always run out of wine early. :supergrin:

7. Gallium

Gallium CLM

On a real serious note...:wow: I saw this on the net somewhere...

Falling Bullet Kills 4-Year-Old Boy In DeKalb

8. Critias

Critias Freelancer CLM

That's horrible. Why the hell can't people realize that bullets fired into the air don't just keep going and vanish into space, they come down somewhere? RIP, little guy. Prayers go out to that family, and their whole congregation. What a horrible, tragic, thing to happen.

9. RenoF250

RenoF250

So wait a minute, your saying your wife talked to the cops????

10. A6Gator

A6Gator

That's because it's when the CEOs show up: Christmas and Easter Only

11. Carrys

Carrys Inquisitive

I believe it's because most just don't want to "realize".

Nothing like getting a little buzz on, then deciding to make a loud boom themselves. Hey, it's New Years, right? I've got a bit of something that makes quite the loud boom, and besides.........it's been a while since I shot my guns, might as well give them a try. Just to get up my practice ya know? After all, the sound is sure to beat anything that anyone else may have done tonight. One little bullet, what's the worry? No neighbors for half a mile, and it's New Years!

And that's usually the thinking.

Ex friend of mine said so, right before he pumped off about 4 or 5 rounds into the air one year. No amount of talk nor any attempt at speaking sense would stop him.

I've never been back.

12. Weiser 878

Weiser 878 R O C K E R

I still don't understand why it's ok for them to ask where you've been or where you're going.

13. RenoF250

RenoF250

You don't have to answer. I suspect they use it just to see if you have it together or if you have to make up a story because you were at the bar.

I have never been stopped but I would be very tempted to say "Papers, vhere are your papers?" in my best German accent.

14. Batesmotel

Batesmotel

Me too. A friend spent time cuffed in the back of a police car because he answered "out for a drive". It was a nice spring morning and he went for a drive including a run up one of the canyons east of Salt Lake and got stopped at a DUI checkpoint on the way down. There had been a problem with kids drinking in the canyons that weekend so they were stopping everyone on the way out.

They asked him for his destination and he insisted he was just out driving. When they pressured him he pushed back with something about public access road and free country so they locked him in the car.

I understand being required to give basic info to cops but some think I owe them my life's story.

15. JuneyBooney

JuneyBooney

That almost seems hard to believe. Coming through a roof seems like a direct shot rather than something falling. That is sad.

16. Batesmotel

Batesmotel

Last time I heard that was from a Czech boarder guard as he was smacking my window with an AK 47. It was so stereotypical it would have been funny if I weren't so scared.

17. plasticpistol

plasticpistol

I would have to agree. What is the maximum speed the bullet can fall? 200mph? That is 300 ft/s. A bullet shot at 300fps would have a tough time making it through a roof let alone one that fell from the sky.

18. FullClip

FullClip NRA Benefactor CLM

That's what I was thinking too...a roof of any type, shingles, or asphalt, or metal plus the insulation, sheathing, etc, should be pretty good at stopping a "falling" bullet. But sad story no matter..4 year old dead due to stupidity, or worse.

But as for the "check-points"...my opinion is that it gives the police a free 'fishing license' to check you out in the name of "public safety".:upeyes:

And if you say anything bad about "public safety"..you're labeled a crazy lunatic by a lot of folks, or as a drunk driver who is trying to not have his sport of free-style driving infringed upon.

19. DustyJacket

DustyJacket Directiv 10-289

Terminal velocity of a human is around 200mph - a bullet's may be much higher.

It is OK for the Police to ask nearly anything. Your answer is up to you. Saying "the bar" is probably not the best answer. :whistling:

20. DustyJacket

DustyJacket Directiv 10-289

Which is entirely legal, as lomg as the 'selection criteria' is formalized ahead of time, and used. i.e. take the first 5 cars, then take 5 more after the last car has left, or perhaps every white car, or some other criteria.