My unbiased review of the Motorola Android

Discussion in 'The Okie Corral' started by notoriouskeef, Jan 3, 2010.

1. notoriouskeef

notoriouskeef Keef

I got this phone last Wednesday after being fed up with the BB Storm and it’s constant problems and restarting. So let's get started with the review.

PROS
    -My first impression….. FAST!
    -Phone is clear and dialing is fast
    -the automatic sync is awesome. Uploads your friends from facebook automatically to your contacts.
    -Setting up e-mail was quick and easy. Great layout and organization. I have two gmail accounts.
    -Downloaded IM app to connect to aim/msn/yahoo all at once. Works great!
    -Organized my home screens in minutes.
    -The ability to create folders to organize your apps and programs as well as de-clutter your screen
    -The 5 megapixel camera takes great pictures and great videos. Pretty fast, not instant .
    -Screen is big and bright. The slide out keyboard lets you see everything on the screen making browsing much easier and is a huge bonus!
    -The onscreen keyboard is fast! The layout is great. My hands are medium and I never fat fingered any keys. When you type there is a small row of possible words that pops up over the keyboard making typing big words even faster. Honestly, I never use it b/c I can type the word out just as fast as clicking it.
    -Alarm clock has the ability to set more than one alarm (unlike the storm)
    -The app downloader is fast and easy. I still haven’t gotten a chance to browse all the apps out there. I know there are not as many as the iphone but its growing every day.
    -Web browser is fast. I have no complaints! I can browse glocktalk just fine. A little slow with all the adds but fast none-the-less.
    -WIFI is awesome. Simple install. One click and it’s up and running making browsing even faster.
    -Google maps with built in nav. As of now, it’s just as good as my garmin.
    -Drag and drop filesystem. Plug it into your computer, drag and drop mp3’s videos documents onto your phone in seconds. I can’t stand itunes and drag and drop > all.
    -Flash support. It is coming in only a few months and the Android will have it! I believe I read that iphone will not.

CONS
    -The slide out keyboard sucks!!! My hands are medium and I can’t type fast on it at all. The keys are not raised enough to tell where you are or what key your on. Typing on it is slow but getting better. Typing on my wife’s Env3 is much easier on that keyboard.
    -space is limited on the screen for your shortcuts. It only gives you a certain amount of space to put shortcuts. On the storm you could have your icons as close as you wanted. It’s a good thing there are more screens or else this would be a huge downfall. Overall it’s not bad b/c there is more than one home screen.
    -battery life- same as any other phone. The more you use it the lower it gets lol.
    -It’s heavier than my storm.
    -no Microsoft office. I believe there are some apps out there for this but all the reviews I’ve read on them have not been good. I haven’t spent much time looking for it but if there is an app where you can read/edit office docs this would be awesome.

Key Apps that I found useful. I’m sure I’ll find more as time goes on.
    -Phone my pc (Cost $5. Took 2 mins to install on my home computers and my phone. I can connect to each pc through my phone and control the computer as if I was there. What can I say. It runs flawlessly, it’s faster than I was expecting, and I can control all my pc’s from my phone! By far the coolest app I have.
    -Pandora- after I found this app I never use mp3’s. Create your own radio stations and listen to whatever type of music you want. No commercials. Fast and quality is great!
    - an app I have on my home screen to quickly set my phone to silence, vibrate, vibrate and ring.
    -app killer- shows you what apps you have running. Kill one or all in a second.

After 5 days of use I can honestly say, this is the best phone I’ve used. Is the phone perfect? Heck no. Like I said, the slide out keyboard is terrible. Why can’t they make a slide out keyboard that is a digital touch screen? If this phone had that it would be outstanding. I also need to find an app that lets me modify office docs. I hope you guys find this useful. If you are contemplating getting one use a friends or go to the store and try one out for yourself.

If anyone has any cool apps let me know (Microsoft office).

Matt

2. harlenm

harlenm Millennium Member

If you like Pandora, try Slacker, it's way better!

3. kestrou

kestrou Pin Member #4

OP,

Got my Droid about three weeks ago - had used a Windows-based smartphone before that (Treo 650) and loved it.

First, let me agree that the Droid keyboard is a big step backward - really a pain to type on, and there's so many other good keyboards out there.

Here's some stuff I'm struggling with that maybe you (or others) can help out on:

1) There's not way to use something like "Explorer" to see the contents of the memory card. I could do this with my Treo...

2) The lack of Word and Excel is a ***HUGE*** pain - I'm sure there's apps out there I need to download, just haven't heard of a good one yet - so open for suggestions here. :)

3) My calender and e-mail synch great with Microsoft Exchange, but not "Notes" and I've *got* to have my notes synchronize. Any help here much appreciated!

Overall, a neat phone (I'm a Pandora fan, but hadn't tried it yet on my Droid - will do so soonest :thumbsup:) but looks like a beta to me.

Can't wait to see the next generation...

kestrou

4. Eyescream

Eyescream hates you

I'm curious if someone could install OpenOffice on it?

5. Pierre!

Pierre! NRA Life Member

Really... I somehow can't believe it... but what the heck! that is how I got turned onto Pandora after all...

Slacker in the AM for sure... specially being home based I don't want to pony up the $35 for 'unlimited' music with Pandora, so a second service will be AWESOME!

Thanks for the cool lead!

We now return you to the Android Review Thread...
    [/HiJackOff]

Doesn't look like there is a big drive to get Open Office ported over to the Android platform... Perhaps it's just so easy to do, they are halfway done but won't talk about it till it's outta Beta??? Yah, too optimistic... (LOL)

6. pulaskipusher

pulaskipusher Topodaworldma!

My biggest glitch on the droid is the battery life. Even when I'm not using it the battery seems to be dead in a matter of hours grrrrr...

Other than that it is great. The internet is sometimes faster sometimes slower than my laptop. I'm not a techno geek but the Droid is awesome!

7. USMCsilver

USMCsilver Boat Life ©

Agreed. That's why the on-screen is so much better.

ON YOUR PC -- download and install "swype". It's the best keyboard I've used. Takes some getting used to, but it's awesome. Follow instructions for install; it's NOT in the market.

Get Home++. Allows up to 7 swiping screens. Can go all the way right/left and keep going and it takes you back to where you were. It also gets rid of the notication bar, and adds your phone/contacts/web/voice search/notifications to the bottom of your home screen. It's sweet. I don't use the factory program anymore.

Turn off your GPS/WiFi when not in use. This is a killer. Also, get the app "Advanced Task Killer". Kill stuff that you don't need running. My phone can go for about 3 days with decent use.

DataViz Word To Go is AWESOME! The freeware is good, but this is one app that I pay for, and will always pay for. I think it's $10, but when needed, it is a MUST HAVE! I used it all through college on my Palm with a seperate fold-out keyboard. It's like Word/Excel/Power Point/Access. Everything done on those programs will open in MS Office.

I've got well over 75 apps on the phone now.

One other thing THAT IS A MUST: Astro (it's a file management program; think Windows Explorer).

I've been on a couple of the Driod forums, and have learned WAYYYY too much about this phone. :whistling:

Last edited: Jan 3, 2010
  8. pesticidal

pesticidal Eh? CLM

I've had mine for a week, and I'm loving it so far. My Verizon rep said I couldn't sync with Outlook, which obviously isn't true. How do I go about doing that?

9. USMCsilver

USMCsilver Boat Life ©

Outlook calender or the whole "mail" deal?

If calender, you've got to use Google calender to sync w/ Outlook. It'll work from there.

If e-mail, then you need to set up your "email" app which is a POP3 program. Get the POP3 login info from your ISP and plug it into the Droid. Or, wait, just set the Droid up like you did on your setup screen in Outlook.

10. Dennis in MA

Dennis in MA Get off my lawn

+1. At some point, I may actually pay for it. I get that day about 1x/2wks that I want to skip about 7 songs - it just a mood I'm in.

11. harlenm

harlenm Millennium Member

I canceled Sirius and paid for the year. No commercials and unlimited skips. You can do month to month now, I had to pay a year in advance.

12. glock19_fan

glock19_fan ... --- ...

There are tons of file managers out there, can't believe you have not used one yet. Astro File Manger is one that is highly rated.

DataViz docs to go, just like Treo...

13. pal2511

pal2511

Ive opened excel spreadsheets with no problem with my droid. I didnt realize you cant open word documents...but I havnt tried editing them yet.

Evidently I am an idiot you can only preview :)

Last edited: Jan 4, 2010
  14. pesticidal

pesticidal Eh? CLM

I've got the email set up, and I imported the contact list. I'll look into the calendar setup, thanks.

15. SouthernGal

SouthernGal What's Up Dox?

I'm glad the Droid lives up to all the hype since I bought one for DS for Christmas. :cool: He was long overdue for a new phone anyway.

16. Deanster

Deanster Cheese? CLM Millennium Member

I'm a pretty serious iPhone user, but the Droid has some pretty nice features. I tried one out, as the iPhone's keyboard works well, but I've always liked physical keyboards better.

Was deeeeeeeply disappointed by the Droid's slide-out keyboard. the keys are big, but flat and slick, with no space at all between them, which makes it hard to feel when I'm on the key center. I still think my old Palm 680 had the best physical keyboard I've used - big enough keys, good spacing between them, and whatever they made the keys of was perfect - both grippy and solid.

I did like the 'run more than one app', but found that I quickly ended up with a bunch of different stuff running, which slowed things down and presumably eats battery life. The iPhone's 'halt apps you aren't currently using' approach isn't perfect either... not quite sure what the right balance is.

Overall, it's an impressive phone. Android is moving fast, and the hardware looks pretty solid. GREAT screen. Me likey the screen.

but not enough to pull me over from iPhone yet.

17. Cinic

Cinic Spongy Member

18. blboyd

blboyd

I just got my DROID last week and I'm loving it. I came from the Windows Mobile 5 & 6 world so this was a huge step!

BB

19. thisaway

thisaway

Got my Droid November 13th. Still don't know how to use most of its features, but I am very pleased with how well it does the things I have figured out.

20. notoriouskeef

notoriouskeef Keef

i downloaded Home++. It is a little slower but not bad. I had a few questions. how do you modify the quick launch bar at the bottom of the screen? Can you change the flip clock? Are there other options to modify the look add quick launch bars etc... I read there is a prefrences somewhere but was unable to find it before I had to head to work.

Matt