Glock Talk banner
1 - 20 of 117 Posts

·
Registered
924 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hi,

Sample of one, but wanted to counter the glowing reviews of the GX4. I have a few P365s (not have owned, but currently own) and just ordered a standard with the silver slide. Just picked it up. Love it. Going to put a grey grip on it. Can't wait for the new grip to come.

Now, I got the Taurus GX4 at the same time because many said it was as good and even parts were better than the P365. Really interested in a better cheaper option. Why not try one out?

In my case, simply not true.

I'm including pics below of a well known issue on Taurusarmed: the mag pops out from a bad mag release. My mag release button would push in with just about anything touching it and the button would not retract. In my pocket it could easily go from full forward button to popping the mag by just sitting down. Solution idea only on TaurusArmed, is to buy an after market mag release. No guarantee that is fixing it. No thanks. Point of trying the GX4 is price.

Second point, it's not stainless steel with a coating. It's just a going to rust steel. The coating was not great. On the slide for this type of gun, gotta be nitride if not stainless. This isn't.

Final point, the trigger (on mine) was simply terrible. Horrible compared to my P365s. Take up has weight, break is heaviest I have ever felt. Reset almost non existent in feel--like at all. A tiny bump feel, but nothing else. Then a monster wall to break again. Even if my trigger was hard by mechanical problem, the reset was long. How anyone can write that this is good....

All in all, everything that was a possibly a plus over the P365 was not true on my GX4.

No point in shooting it. Trigger and I were never going to get along. I don't know why anyone would put up with that trigger. Nothing redeeming to say about it, even if I felt like a 10lb single action was what I wanted. Just crap.

Mag release button fully disengaged:

Mag release at 100% before popping the mag, held/stuck by itself (no, I can not some how make it go back either):

·
Registered
6,162 Posts
Give it back. Now I praise the GX4 as mine, my daily carry, has been outstanding through 1000+ rounds. No issues and I've carried mine though this summer and last, no rust at all but I wipe it down when it is covered in sweat. My trigger measured at 6lbs, good enough for me. But if I had your issues, that gun would be gone. I have two of them so only a sample of two but mine work as advertised. My ex-wife has one, as well as a close friend and all work great but it is my guess that Taurus still have worse QC issues than other companies.

·
Registered
1,572 Posts
I had a couple of them, last summer. They ran alright, but your trigger experience was as mine was. No Matter what I did, always threw shots a little left. I couldn't figure it out, because I'd pop a Ruger or Glock out on same range trip, and center hits. Traded them off. These were summer 2021, so right when the guns hit the shelves. I figured if they sucked I had a warranty... Well, the trigger just being horrible wasn't a warranty issue. It wasn't a me issue, as I was shooting everything else with a reasonable trigger just fine.

Got an itch to give one another chance recently, and traded something in on one. The first one I got it home, and feed ramp was off center to the left, like bad. QC anyone? FFL ordered a new one for me after I called asking what he could do, and second one next day was fine. Until I loaded up my carry JHP. Same nosedive into bottom of feed ramp here or there, as my dreaded G3 TORO debacle.

I kinda asked myself why I got it, especially after the G3 TORO mess. Traded it off at a loss, without even having fired a round. Dumb, I know, I fully get it. I wasn't going to trust it after my recent issues. No more new Tauruses for me. I'll keep my G2C that has been solid, and that's all.

Got a Mossberg MC2SC, and can't say enough good things about those new Mossberg pistols, and haven't looked back.

·
Registered
6,703 Posts
Probably the most one sided bias review I have ever read. You say you are a huge P365 fan, nothing wrong with that, but you bought GX4 just to compare to your beloved P365. You then nitpick a gun you never shot once. You knew you wasn't going to like the GX4 before you ever bought it.

·
Registered
5,939 Posts
I was concerned that I may be throwing $299 away when I bought mine butt as you mentioned, nothing but glowing reviews and the buzz about higher quality products coming out of Taurus these days.

Well fortunately mine lives up to the hype but I will never put tons of rounds through it.

I am sorry you had a different experience.

·
Registered
841 Posts
Hi,

Sample of one, but wanted to counter the glowing reviews of the GX4. I have a few P365s (not have owned, but currently own) and just ordered a standard with the silver slide. Just picked it up. Love it. Going to put a grey grip on it. Can't wait for the new grip to come.

Now, I got the Taurus GX4 at the same time because many said it was as good and even parts were better than the P365. Why not try one out?

In my case, simply not true.

I'm including pics below of a well known issue on Taurusarmed: the mag pops out. My mag release would take light pressure on it just about anything touching it and the button would not retract. In my pocket it could easily go from full push to popping the mag in just sitting down. Solution, idea only on TaurusArmed, is to buy an after market mag release, no guarantee that is fixing it. No thanks. Point of trying the GX4 is price.

Second point, it's not stainless steel with a coating. It's just a going to rust steel. The coating was not great. On the slide for this type of gun, gotta be nitride if not stainless. This isn't.

Final point, the trigger (on mine) was simple terrible. Horrible compared to my P365s. Take up has weight, break is heaviest I have ever felt. Reset almost no existent in feel--like at all.

All in all, everything that was a possible plus over the P365 was not true on my GX4.

No point in shooting it. Trigger and I was never going to get along. I don't know why anyone would put up with that trigger. Nothing redeeming to say about it, even if I felt like a 10lb single action was what I wanted. Just crap.

Mag release button fully disengaged:

Mag release at 100% before popping the mag, held/stuck by itself (no, I can not some how make it go back either):
as bad as your problems are with the G4, wait till you send it back to get it repaired. your problems are nothing compared to their service department. worst customer service of my life. and i've been around awhile.

·
Registered
129,797 Posts
as bad as your problems are with the G4, wait till you send it back to get it repaired. your problems are nothing compared to their service department. worst customer service of my life. and i've been around awhile.
Yes, Taurus has always had terrible QC and very poor CS. That’s just the way it is, despite countless supposed management changes.

·
Florist
22,423 Posts
Some on GT have actually said they prefer Taurus. Don't buy a Taurus for it's $price$ point. Buy one because you're feeling lucky that day! LOL.

• Haha
Reactions: GlockWheeler

·
Registered
924 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
To be clear, I've attached pictures of the magazine catch engaging just by sitting in shorts.

I can't make the mag release button catch. It's doing on its own.

That isn't bias, that is a problem. Additionally, it's a known problem if you head to TaurusArmed forum.

Just odd that someone is saying I am biased. I posted pictures. Can any other gun out there do what I've pictured?

·
Registered
2,706 Posts
I had a couple of them, last summer. They ran alright, but your trigger experience was as mine was. No Matter what I did, always threw shots a little left. I couldn't figure it out, because I'd pop a Ruger or Glock out on same range trip, and center hits. Traded them off. These were summer 2021, so right when the guns hit the shelves. I figured if they sucked I had a warranty... Well, the trigger just being horrible wasn't a warranty issue. It wasn't a me issue, as I was shooting everything else with a reasonable trigger just fine.

Got an itch to give one another chance recently, and traded something in on one. The first one I got it home, and feed ramp was off center to the left, like bad. QC anyone? FFL ordered a new one for me after I called asking what he could do, and second one next day was fine. Until I loaded up my carry JHP. Same nosedive into bottom of feed ramp here or there, as my dreaded G3 TORO debacle.

I kinda asked myself why I got it, especially after the G3 TORO mess. Traded it off at a loss, without even having fired a round. Dumb, I know, I fully get it. I wasn't going to trust it after my recent issues. No more new Tauruses for me. I'll keep my G2C that has been solid, and that's all.

Got a Mossberg MC2SC, and can't say enough good things about those new Mossberg pistols, and haven't looked back.
Interesting post....
I hope your Mossberg experience now is typical.
I had one of the first in 2019. Two trips back to the factory reduced the failure rate from 13% to 5%.
Even got a long email from one of their guys explaining how heavy and constant lubrications should improve it(?) Really?

·
Super Moderator
Glock 45/19X
10,642 Posts
Can any other gun out there do what I've pictured?
Actually, yes. There have been a few newer designs that have had some issues with the mag button. IIRC, the Ruger Max had some reported issues. And of course you get the occasional odd ball report with other brands from time to time.

This is not dismiss your pistol's issue. If the mag is popping out while in your pocket then it's an issue that needs to be looked into. So allow Taurus to make it right. Contact them, send them your photos and then report here what happens.

This sounds like a perceived issue that may not be an issue at all in reality. The member above in post #3 states that he's carried his pistol through a couple of summers with no rust issues and nothing more than a wipe down. I would also point out that P365's do in fact have a rust issue on the front and rear sights. Hasn't happened to mine but it did to a fellow Deputy that carried one as a BUG under his vest.

Final point, the trigger (on mine) was simple terrible. Horrible compared to my P365s. Take up has weight, break is heaviest I have ever felt. Reset almost no existent in feel--like at all.
Please don't take this the wrong way, but how a trigger feels on any pistol is subjective at best. Some complain that a Ruger LCP trigger is 'horrible' and the 'worse they've ever felt'. I've had two of them and they were great and I could make head shots at 15 yards with them all day long. Some complain that the Sig P250 DAO trigger was 'terrible' and 'heavy' when in fact it's only about 7-8lbs and very smooth. Heck, some here complain a Glock trigger is 'too heavy' when their only 5.5lbs. And it sounds from your post like you haven't even shot it yet?

So in short, it sounds like you've really only got one issue and you should take the proper steps to address it.

·
Registered
312 Posts
New G & A page 73, Taurus built the best semi it has ever made. It is one of the best if not the best
micro compacts for less than $400. (Budget roundup- all under 400. 9MM)
I don't own one, just FYI, guess it is a hit or miss.

·
Super Moderator
Glock 45/19X
10,642 Posts
Guns are machines. Machines can a do fail from time to time. Right now in the GG section is a thread on a Glock 26 that lost it's takedown lever and spring. This is a thread with a mag release catch not working the way it should. It happens. I have to laugh though at a few folks that will pile on a problem with a particular brand/model they don't like while putting their hands over their eyes when it happens to a brand/model they do like.

Same thing happened in another Taurus thread just recently. Oddly enough it wasn't Taurus the guy didn't like, it was Sig. Specifically the P320. Don't even remember why that model came up in a Taurus thread? But the guy clearly had a bug-a-boo about the P320 but gushed over his Glock. I quoted him and pointed out that Glock has had worse problems (catastrophic) in some models than the P320 ever had. The guy disappeared from the thread. I find that a typical response unfortunately.

Is it surprising that a new/newer design has issues that pop up? I'm not surprised. The Sig P365 is a good example. So is the Glock 42/43. They all had some initial reported issues, got ironed out and now are very popular and sold by the boat load. The Ruger LCP Max had some reported initial issues but they get fixed and are wildly popular.

So I go back to the point I made in several other Taurus threads. Namely, can anyone state what the % of returns for legitimate issues vs. the number of units produced for any manufacturer? No, no one can as that information really isn't put out there for public consumption. So brand-bias gets pretty subjective.

·
Registered
924 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 · (Edited)
So everyone is clear, THE taurus forum TaurusArmed, has many posts about the mag issue and Taurus not changing it when sent in for repair.

Therefore, given no one on that forum is getting "fixes" and it's a very biased forum, I don't need to send it to Taurus. I know they won't change it. It's in spec according to the Taurusarmed responses from those with the same issue.

Because threads on other sites being so positive on the GX4, I bought it online sight unseen.

This isn't sour grapes. I bought it. I wanted it to work.

Because I own a few P365s doesn't preclude me from having owned multiple GX4s. Don't make an assumption that my like for the P365 negatively put down the GX4. The GX4 did it itself.

·
Super Moderator
Glock 45/19X
10,642 Posts
If it were my pistol, I'd still send it in. They won't know it's 'in spec' unless they see it. If they still don't correct the issue at that point then yes, you have a legitimate complaint.

Reactions: Whittsailor

·
Beretta 92 Nut!
7,323 Posts
The “just as good as” crowd makes me laugh.

Glad I don’t buy that junk…
Correct. And I don't understand why the Taurus religion disciples always have to come in and disagree and defend the brand...

Go buy a 365, or even a S&W Shield (less than the cost of the 365) if you want a gun that size. You get what you pay for. End of story.

1 - 20 of 117 Posts