My sweet little dog

Discussion in 'The Okie Corral' started by cmb19, Jan 28, 2010.

1. cmb19

cmb19

You would have all heard about this yesterday but I just got my computer running again...anyway...Two nights ago I was home alone, my fiance was staying about 1 1/2 hours away with some friends. My 6 month old black lab and I were just hanging out about 11pm and she all of the sudden gets up and runs to my kitchen and proceeds to freak out. Now, when I say freak out, I mean she's terrified of something and hiding behind me. :upeyes: No barking, just obviously scared and looking at the door and windows. I thought nothing of it because I swear this house is haunted and she does that occasionally.

Yesterday, I leave my house to walk to work and as I'm walking down my driveway, I see huge boot prints coming up it. These are probably size 12 prints and my fiance does not wear boots that size. I got home a few hours later and we both checked the sidewalk and in the snow there were boot prints that walked along my kitchen windows, stopped, tried to look in and then kept going off of my property.

I had had the lights off that night and could easily see out the door, but the windows are high so I would have had to walk up to them to see anyone outside. I turned the light on at one point because no one was outside the door and I couldn't figure how the dog would notice someone outside the windows, but obviously she did because there were no prints outside of the door.

Big, scary, vicious dogs are not the only ones who will save you...the little chickens are just as good. :supergrin:

2. 88_gurgel

88_gurgel

good story, labs make great alarms.

edit: except when they have run all day and can sleep like a log.

3. Dragline

Dragline

Good for you and your pooch! :cool: Nice story.

4. okie

okie GT Mayor

I'm so relieved you're okie dokie:angel:

5. cmb19

cmb19

I probably would have had a problem if I didn't turn the light on..I could see where he turned to look in the window and I'm sure I turned the light on before he stepped up to it. There's a random guy that walks down the road in the middle of the night a few times a week and I assume it's him. I guess I'll just have to pay more attention to him now.
    The worst part was I had only been outside with her about 5 minutes before, came in and turned out the lights. He most likely had seen me outside because there's a good stretch of road that you can see my house from. My family all panicked for a few minutes when I told them about it but got over it when they remembered all the guns we have. :supergrin:

6. Glenn129

Glenn129

Set a bear trap.

7. Scared_of_zombies

Scared_of_zombies

8. BEER

BEER bad example

it's time for some motion activated flood lights and acid dispensing lawn sprinklers.

9. Free Radical

Free Radical Miembro Antiguo CLM

I'm glad that it did not turn into something ugly. Please treat this seriously. Have a plan. A firearm, a taser, pepper spray.....something.

10. Carolina Drifter

Carolina Drifter CLM

Make sure you love your pooch even more it is well deserved.

11. 3rdgen40

3rdgen40 .45 fanatic

Glad you're okay Courtney.Keep a Glock close by and stay safe.

12. cmb19

cmb19

I gotta be careful with the alligator in the moat type of things...I'm renting, my landlord would be upset with me. :supergrin:
    My fiance is also one of the "world is ending" type of guys..every room has a gun..probably guns that I don't even know about. There's an AK in the closet, so I can always grab that on my way to the kitchen. :cool:

I actually do want to put up some motion lights but I'm not exactly sure how to go about this...the wiring in the garage is shoddy. I already lost a college apartment and all my stuff to fire, I can't afford it again.

13. Carrys

Carrys Inquisitive

That's all I ask or expect from my little ankle nipper...............just a little warning time. And that's what I get.

I'll handle the rest.

Edited to add:

Nothing like sitting in the lounger, kicked back and starting to doze off, when the little nipper jumps up and barks loudly.......then starts running toward the back door like her tail was on fire. Talk about being wide awake.

Been more than one small cat scared out of it's mind. And me.

She figures if it moves on HER property, it's wrong.

Good girl.

Last edited: Jan 28, 2010
  14. MavsX

MavsX The Dude Abides

lmao. haha. yes.

15. Berto

Berto woo woo

Any dog can raise a racket, they are the best alarm system going.
    You might report the prowling.

16. Steve0853

Steve0853

I also depend on my ankle biter. If I went to code red every time the outside big dogs got excited, I would never get to bed. They bark at every deer, stray dog, cat, or coyote that wiggles within 1/2 mile of the house.

The little yapper on the other hand only goes off if there is a disturbance around the exterior perimeter of the house. She gives me 30 seconds or more. Thats plenty.

17. HKUSP45Css

HKUSP45Css

Here's a fantastic write up on it. It's dead simple and very little real work. If you or someone you know can change a car tire you (or they) can pull it off.

http://www.hammerzone.com/archives/elect/outdoor/flood_lights/under_eaves.htm

It's, honestly, one of the cheapest and most valuable (at the same time) home security measures I can think of. That and planting rose bushes under windows.

Just an FYI, electrical fires are seldom caused by people doing things properly to the the electrics in their homes. They are often the result of "jury rigging" something to get it to start working again. Measure twice, cut once and all that jazz.

18. holyjohnson

holyjohnson

good dog,glad you`r okay.

stay safe.

19. fwm

fwm

Not only that but they live longer. My brother and his family came home Christmas eve one year and found the front door open. Everything was gone, Tree, presents, sofa, chairs, tables, beds, TVs, 20 or so rifles and 3 German made 3 auto rifles, and his dog, who was a good protector.

He found his dog the next morning behind the house dead from a gaping head wound. He felt worse about the dog than everything else he lost.

Cops just took a loss report. Never looked for prints, never took pictures or casts of the truck tire imprints in the snow at the front door or any investigation at all, even after knowing that 3 legal (to my brother) fully automatic rifles were among the items stolen.

20. Zell

Zell IrregularMember

Nice doggie.