My Stag Arms Carbine Has Gas!

Discussion in 'Black Rifle Forum' started by ShaneS, Aug 9, 2019.

1. ShaneS

ShaneS Millennium Member

I have a standard 16" barrel Stag Arms carbine. All original Stag parts built by Stag.

It seems to have a lot of gas. Over the years I've added a Stag FA bolt carrier group and H2 buffer. It still seems to have harsher cycling than it should, even shooting .223 Remington ammo rather than 5.56 NATO.

My PSA mid length carbine is very mild in comparison.

Any thoughts?

Last edited: Aug 28, 2019
  2. ranger1968

ranger1968

Wayyyyyy down South, shootin' stuff and Jeeping!
    If your Stag is a carbine-length gas system, then it's probably over-gassed a bit, most carbine-length systems are; it's a bit harder on the bcg , but for most people it's not enough for it to really matter in terms of wear....

3. Big Bird

Big Bird NRA Life Member

Heavier buffers aren't always the panacea that the interwebs make then out to be...

Just because the heavier buffer might mitigate some of the recoil impluse moreso than a standard weight buffer doesn't mean the gun will be softer shooting! All that kinetic energy and mass pushed to the rear when the bolt cycles to the rear has to be released on the forward stroke! A heavier buffer coupled with a heavier FA bolt generates more momemtum on its return journey and you can actually get some bolt bounce if its too much... Something to think about.

I have several rifles that do better with standard carbine buffers in this regard.

ShaneS, Redeemed and ranger1968 like this.
  4. jimcorbin

jimcorbin

My Stag behaves the same way, so does my Colt. They feel rough and harsh. Now my midlength Spikes is pure pleasure to shoot.

Joshhtn and ShaneS like this.
  5. dkf

dkf

Now you know why a lot of guys prefer a mid length gas with a 14"- 16" barrel.

Joshhtn and evlbruce like this.
  6. RJHUB

RJHUB

I think thats the nature of the beast. I had a stag years ago and it was pretty harsh
    for a 5.56. But super reliable.
    At first thought it had no recoil for a rifle and it was my first AR-15.
    Would have never known the difference if I hadnt shot mid-lengths.

ShaneS likes this.
  7. ShaneS

ShaneS Millennium Member

The Stag was my first. I have a midlength PSA too and it is great. The difference is amazing.

8. AndyK

AndyK

Why not tone it down some with an adjustable gas block?

bmrtoyo and BigBull 301 like this.
  9. Gray Dood

Gray Dood

Mine does too.

But then I love the smell of my own gas.

20190513_122726.jpg

bmrtoyo and AdamRodgers like this.
  10. ShaneS

ShaneS Millennium Member

An adjustable gas block isn’t an option since the gas block is a part of the front sight. I can try a carbine buffer. New or extra power buffer spring? Any other suggestions?

11. Tbags

Tbags

Pull the sight tower off and measure the port to find out if it's too large. If found to be excessive I guess you could try one of those restricter plugs that KAK or someone came out with about a year or so ago and go from there.

12. Bren

Bren NRA Life Member

Buffer and/or buffer spring? Worn or weak to begin with? Why do you assume it's too much gas pressure, rather than too little resistance to the gas pressure? Either would give you similar symptoms.

13. AndyK

AndyK

Adjustable gas key?

14. bubbatime

bubbatime

Buy a quality mid-length upper from Spikes or BCM or other like company. Use the mid-length upper for shooting quality 5.56 ammo. Use the Stag for shooting up cheap steel case and bunny fart .223 loads.

The Stag upper is over gassed, so shoot the weakest ammo you can find through it.

Use the mid-length upper for shooting the "good" ammo.

15. ShaneS

ShaneS Millennium Member

That's Good advice and the conclusion I've come to as well. I handload, so I can load weaker .223 loads for it.

I do have a great PSA premium midlength upper that is a pleasure to shoot. My wife and kids (and I) do not like shooting the Stag as much because the recoil impulse seems harsh even with .223 loads but love shooting the PSA. I was amazed at the difference when I got the midlength.

16. Flikster

Flikster

Not true. JP makes an adjustable A2 sight post. https://www.jprifles.com/buy.php?item=JPGS-2FS

Several outfits make adjustable blocks with top rails that you can affix an A2 style sight on. You'll have to research differences between gas block rails and receiver rails.

MGI makes adjustable gas tubes. I don't know anything about these how they fit under what handguards etc other than they're like $50.

Only so much you can solve with springs and buffers. No need to work up anemic 223 loads just to make the rifle comfortable for you to shoot.

ShaneS likes this.
  17. Jack Black

Jack Black

18. Flikster

Flikster

My understanding is carrier bounce is a function of bcg velocity. How would momentum cause carrier bounce unless the velocity component of momentum was high? Too much weight from the buffer/bcg might place excess strain on the lugs. If you had a tight chamber and a long OAL it might cause bullet setback, but carrier bounce shouldn't be an issue.