GlockTalk Forum banner

21 - 40 of 76 Posts

·
Registered
3,920 Posts
Ask for a parent-teacher conference and ask if she minds if you record it. I wouldn't directly involve the child.

·
Well I'll Be Dipped!!!
28,492 Posts
He probably is. Even if he has not spoken his mind in class. The t-shirt thing the OP is thinking about and that some seem to endorse, is SURE to get him locked up on her HUD, if he ain't already.
It's a hell of a pickle for the OP to be in.

On one hand, it would be positive to make an example of this teacher, even if the only out-come is that she learns to keep her political views to herself and stick to teaching.

On the other hand, his son becoming a blazing red dot on his teacher's radar is also a concern.

Maybe the OP could have a discussion with his son, open and frank about the situation, attemepting to make sure he understands the different possible positive and negative outcomes, and get his ideas on the situation.

That way, if the son wants nothing to do with it, fine, the OP could handle it his own way without involving his son. On the other hand, if his son is mature enough to truly understand the situation and the possible consequences, he may be ready and willing to start his conservative political career early.

Hell, the OP's son may end-up being a hero in the class room & school with other students that are sick and tired of hearing this teacher's crapola. There's probably even some faculty that know what this teacher is doing, and aren't going to get involved in the situation for their own personal reasons, but that may support him if he chooses to actively engage this teacher and her hypocrisy.

·
Registered
1,659 Posts
Here's a simple suggestion: talk to the teacher and ask her what she's said and if she thinks it's appropriate.

The dumb stuff like hidden cameras and T-shirts designed to provoke will only cause further problems. It's your kid who'll bear the brunt of them, not you. Do the adult thing and have a calm discussion. Choose your words carefully because of you mention indoctrination you'll look silly. Different opinions do not equal indoctrination and propaganda.

·
EMT-B
15,908 Posts
"republicans want you to pay for your school, Romney will only take care of the rich and he hates poor people, Etc, etc."
Here's a simple suggestion: talk to the teacher and ask her what she's said and if she thinks it's appropriate. Choose your words carefully because of you mention indoctrination you'll look silly. Different opinions do not equal indoctrination and propaganda.
Sounds like the things the OP was told by his son are a little beyond her having an "opinion".

BTW, "opinions" belong in the letters column of the newspaper, not pushed down other peoples' kids' throats like is being done here, from what is being reported to us.

She can eat the peanuts out of Obama bin Lyin's poo, if that thrills her and makes her day. But her JOB is to TEACH, not to cram her OPINIONS into supple and impressionable minds.

·
Mountain Man
6,796 Posts
1) you are just now figuring this out? This is the nature of public school.

2) homeschool or a screened private school.

·
Pinche Gringo
7,101 Posts
Here's a simple suggestion: talk to the teacher and ask her what she's said and if she thinks it's appropriate.

The dumb stuff like hidden cameras and T-shirts designed to provoke will only cause further problems. It's your kid who'll bear the brunt of them, not you. Do the adult thing and have a calm discussion. Choose your words carefully because of you mention indoctrination you'll look silly. Different opinions do not equal indoctrination and propaganda.

Yep

1) you are just now figuring this out? This is the nature of public school.

2) homeschool or a screened private school.

Yuuuuup!

·
Registered
29,999 Posts
Good thing I do not have kids. I would not put up with such crap at all.

My friend's daughter said one of their young female liberal teachers told the class the 2nd Amendment was so the military could have guns. Not only is the teacher wrong but she is too stupid to be a teacher.

I asked the girl (she has been shooting for years) if she corrected the teacher. She said you can't because the teacher will bring down your grades (the girl is a A+ student).:steamed:

·
Registered
1,659 Posts
But her JOB is to TEACH, not to cram her OPINIONS into supple and impressionable minds.
At 14 children should be able to distinguish between a fact and an opinion. It's perfectly valid for teachers of young adults to share their own opinions; it's not acceptable for them to penalize a student for disagreeing. Most of the social sciences require people to express opinions and that includes the teacher.

The few comments paraphrased fall far short of a rant. Was it a few short comments? Some 5 minute lectures? That's why the OP needs to speak to the teacher and find out what was said, in what context and how much teaching time was spent on personal views. Were the comments relevant to the subject matter? How were differing opinions treated? Depending on the answers, this could be a non-issue.

·
Got Glock?
13,775 Posts
At dinner last night, our 14 year old son told us that his teacher has been giving the class anti-Republican speeches in her Indian Education class.

Some of the things she says are, "republicans want you to pay for your school, Romney will only take care of the rich and he hates poor people, Etc, etc."

My son told us this was an epic rant by her, and its not the first time either. I asked him she had any good things to say about republicans, such as Reagan, and he said no. She is pro-Obama and appears to be influencing the kids.

Now, this teacher had been there a long time, and she's a bit of a weirdo anyhow, IMO. She had complained about my son's behavior a few times this year, stuff like talking in class, inattentiveness, etc.

My son also told me that the black kid in the class wears his "yes we can" Obama shirt and is her class pet.

So, I have a plan now. I am ordering him a Reagan and Ron Paul shirts to wear to school. I am also going to write a letter to the paper.

I am a bit stunned, but I'm also a bit pissed that my tax dollars are supporting a propagandist in my public school. This is unacceptable, and I'm no going to take this lying down.
Go down and report her to the Principal, then call your county Superintendent and make sure that the State Superintendent & the State Board of Education is aware of the issue as well.

If that doesn't work, then go to your County Commissioner's office.

These guys need to know that this stupid democrat Teacher is wrong. Everyone knows that the self proclaimed anti-gun Progressive Mitt Romney will run things the same as Obama! What is wrong with these educators?

·
Registered
2,194 Posts
PLEASE remember to check the legalities of recording someone without their permission, before wiring up your son.....

Also, keep in mind what some have said. Your son is the one who will bear the brunt of her wrath if he gets under her radar for speaking his mind, or wearing apparel that attacks her religion.

And for some of the ones with the most Kool-Aid in their gut, Obama Bin Lyin IS their God.....
I thought school was considered a public place? A class with multiple students shouldn't be any different than a street corner. Why would that be an issue?

·
Registered
2,194 Posts
Good thing I do not have kids. I would not put up with such crap at all.

My friend's daughter said one of their young female liberal teachers told the class the 2nd Amendment was so the military could have guns. Not only is the teacher wrong but she is too stupid to be a teacher.

I asked the girl (she has been shooting for years) if she corrected the teacher. She said you can't because the teacher will bring down your grades (the girl is a A+ student).:steamed:
Sounds like they are learning from the current White House administration.

·
EMT-B
15,908 Posts
At 14 children should be able to distinguish between a fact and an opinion. It's perfectly valid for teachers of young adults to share their own opinions; it's not acceptable for them to penalize a student for disagreeing. Most of the social sciences require people to express opinions and that includes the teacher.

The few comments paraphrased fall far short of a rant. Was it a few short comments? Some 5 minute lectures? That's why the OP needs to speak to the teacher and find out what was said, in what context and how much teaching time was spent on personal views. Were the comments relevant to the subject matter? How were differing opinions treated? Depending on the answers, this could be a non-issue.
Uh, not it is NOT okay for a teacher to waste the kids' time or the parents' tax money by doing ANYTHING other than teaching the kids what they are supposed to learn under the curriculum.

And, if she is showing preferential treatment to one student, maybe the school board needs to be informed of that fact so they can make sure she is not doing something inappropriate with that child, or other children under her care.

·
EMT-B
15,908 Posts
I thought school was considered a public place? A class with multiple students shouldn't be any different than a street corner. Why would that be an issue?
This could be an issue because there are states where recording someone without their knowledge and consent is classed as WIRETAPPING or another FELONY

·
Registered
816 Posts
I like the Paul and Regan shirt ideas. That combined with a little talk with administration should get her to at least shut it up. And I wouldn't listen to those who think this is going to stress your kid out or make school harder for him. He will probably have fun with it, I know I did when I was 14. I don't think I wore anything but NRA shirts in the 7th grade after one of my teachers tried to give me a "dress code violation".

·
Registered
2,248 Posts
People like the teacher who know how to exploit and work a system...like a teacher's union...require a different game plan. You have to use their system against them. To get anywhere you are going to have to follow protocol and report her offensive behavior up her chain of command, and make sure you can identify and articulate exactly what she has done that is out of bounds.

Sending your kid to school in a Reagan or Paul shirt will only serve as a warning shot and allow her to organize her defense and identify her enemy. Same goes for making an end run around the system and going to the press. You need to legally gather proof of your allegations (make sure recording is legal), then present your claim of misconduct to the principal. When it is refuted and denied, escalate it to the administration and include some proof, when that is denied and argued as an "isolated incident" or something taken out of context elevate it to the school board and include all the proof.
With these types it is not enough to have one picture with their hand in the cookie jar,you have to show the whole movie. If you can gather enough irrefutable evidence however you can get them to turn on each other...they hate to, but they will sacrifice their own if enough pressure is applied.

·
EMT-B
15,908 Posts
My son also told me that the black kid in the class wears his "yes we can" Obama shirt and is her class pet.
exactly what she has done that is out of bounds.
Still say the school board needs to be informed of the preferential treatment to a student. Could be an indicator of inappropriate conduct and abuse of the student.....

Scott

·
Glock Gimp
13,852 Posts
Unfortunately my son was indoctrinated by the schools early on and bought it hook line and sinker. I could not repair the damage.

·
Registered
2,940 Posts
Well, if you send your kid to government schools, what do you really expect?

I do like the idea of the Ron Paul t-shirt. But, government schools are social engineering camps.

21 - 40 of 76 Posts