close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

My sick dog

Discussion in 'Woof Memorial Critter's Corner' started by rick417, Feb 23, 2006.

1. rick417

rick417

My 16 month old Black Lab(Boomer)had to take a trip to the vet today. It started last night about 11pm. I had just gone to bed and heard him in his crate choking. I got up and let him out of the crate and opened the door so that he could go outside and cough up whatever it was. He was back inside for a few minutes and it started all over again. He ran to the back door gagging and waiting for me to let him out. I was impressed that he didn't want to vomit in the house.

About 30 minutes after I went back to bed, he started again. This time my wife got up with me and we tried to see if we could see anything in his throat or mouth but nothing was to be found. We then had several hours of this routine with him being fine for about thirty minutes and then about ten minutes of his choking.

At about 3:30 am it started to sound like he was having trouble breathing. I called the 24 hour emergency line at our vets office and left a message for the vet to call me. The vet called me back at about 4:00 am and I described what Boomer was doing and that I was worried that he might have something lodged in his throat. The vet told me that it sounded more like a respiratory infection (WHAT? you have to be kidding) and to bring him in first thing in the morning. Today was his day set aside for surgeries but he would have a look at him when he had a chance between his other patients.

Needless to say, there wasn't much sleep to be had in our house last night. At one point, my 11 year old son finally got woke up from all the noise and frantically came in to our room telling us about Boomer. He thought we were sleeping through all the noise. I'm sure the neighbors had heard it too, LOL.

When morning finally came, Boomer had more of a cough than the gagging sound and I was starting to believe what the crazy doc had told me.

Sure enough, the vet called me at about noon and told me that it was a respiratory infection just as he had guessed. They had given him a steroid and would be sending him home with some cough syrup and another pill that I don't even remember what it is supposed to do. (I am going on zero sleep right now and the details are a little groggy)

Boomer has slept most of the evening and got up coughing one time. We managed to get about half of the dose of cough syrup in him and he went back to sleep. I have a plan "B" ready for the next dose, hope it works.

I sure hope we can all sleep tonight cause I have to get up in the morning and to go out of town on business and really need the rest.

This whole ordeal strikes me as being pretty funny because about a year and a half ago I would have been pretty amused at someone worrying so much about a "stupid dog". It's funny how a pet can become part of the family. It was almost like the times when the kids where young and had the "croup". We would cringe every time they would cough just knowing how bad it hurt.

I can't believe I typed all of this, I think it is more than I have said at one time on GT since joining. It must be the sleep deprivation kicking in. I sure hope it is coherent. I will have to re-read it after getting some sleep. Hopefully tonight.

2. joker1

joker1

Glad he's doing better!!! For liquid meds I find it easier to use a syringe (no needle). Place the end deep into the corner of his mouth and squirt it between his cheek and gums. Hold his head up and mouth closed. It takes longer to explain than do.:)

3. UtahIrishman

UtahIrishman BLR Silver Member

I understand completely about a pet becoming a member of the family. They do grow on you don't they?

Our little white half-siamese was given to us 'free' as a kitten. We took her to the vet had her checked out and given her shots. That was on a Friday. Saturday she developed a reaction from the shots...high temp etc. Took her to the emergency vet on a Saturday night. Ended up being a two day stay for our new kitten.

Our 'free' kitty turned into a $500.00 one. Wouldn't have done it any different though. Attachment to little bundles of fur are good for the soul.

4. Jeep274

Jeep274 Member When?

Glad to hear Boomer is doing better. Our lab Kody had a real bad illness a few months ago and the GT community was very supportive. He is doing great now. Once you make a bond with a pet, you will never look at a dog or cat the same again. They are truly special.

^6 UtahIrishman!^c Although some of our bundles are bigger than others.:)

5. Walter45Auto

Walter45Auto

If it's something that he don't like the taste of, give him a treat afterwards to wash the tase away.

;g

;8 ;I