close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

MY SHTF Story - X Post General Glocking

Discussion in 'Carry Issues' started by Uncle Ben, Feb 16, 2010.

1. Uncle Ben

Uncle Ben

So I posted this in the General Glocking forum this morning before many pointed out that it belongs somewhere else. If you've already read it I apologize. If not, please add your story or comment on mine.

o I've searched all over GT, but have been unable to find a thread specifically dedicated to SHTF stories. I would like to hear the stories, not only b/c they are probably interesting, but we could probably all learn a few things in the process. Forgive me if there actually is a thread out there for this, I just couldn't find it.

So I'll start....

I was 18 (not armed) and it was the summer before my freshman year of college (2002). My family owned a little car wash in the small college town and I, with a female friend, were there cleaning up the car wash and my car around 6 PM. I was vacuuming my car on the driver's side and my friend was standing on the passenger's side. I heard a car door shut behind me, but didn't really pay any attention. Then I heard my friend say in an unmistakably shaky voice, "Ben, Ben, Ben." I turned around and saw a bald man, about 6'3", 240 lbs. wearing black pants and a camouflage jacket zipped all the way up (in freaking June) standing behind me with this crazy look in his eyes. I knew something wasn't right.

The car he got out of sped off. He said "Hey man, can I borrow your car?" At that moment I knew things were about to get bad. I said no. So without missing a beat he said it again. "Hey man, can I borrow your car?" I realized there obviously was something wrong with this guy but said no again. Then he actually asked again, "Hey man, can I borrow your car?" Only this time he pulled about a switchblade that was probably 7 inches long and stuck it to my chest. He didn't stab me, but he held it just an inch or so away. I thought I was going to die.

From here the whole situation was in slow motion. I heard my girl friend kind of make a whimper as I took one step back from the guy. He didn't advance. There was a gas station directly across the road from us (about 50 yards) so I looked at her and said, "Run." She said, "What?!" So I repeated. She took off running. At that moment he looked at her and I ran around him too, both of us sprinting towards the gas station (I knew they kept a shotgun behind the counter).

This is where the story gets crazy. Believe it or not, the guy started chasing us. The good news is that he was overweight and a little slow (in more ways than one), so we were able to outrun him. I ran in the gas station and yelled some mumbled madness about a knife and being chased. The guy behind the counter obviously thought that we must be on drugs. So what did he do?? Handed me the phone across the counter to call 911. I looked back and the man was entering the parking lot and would be in the store in 10 seconds or less. Then I pointed to the guy and the clerk realized what was actually happening. He told me to get in the back and he grabbed his shotgun.

When the man entered the store he ran right into the clerk with a shotgun aimed at his head. At that point the man stopped, turned around and the car that had sped off was sitting there waiting for him. He got in and left. At that time I told the 911 operator what happened. The WV State Police showed up approximately 45 minutes later (Awesome response time). My Dad came from a town about 10 miles away and actually beat them there.

As it turns out, the man was a schizophrenic and had escaped from a local hospital earlier in the day and had not been taking his medicine. The police apprehended him an hour later in a town 8 miles down the road while he was trying to hold up another gas station with the same knife.

So that's it. My SHTF story. Hopefully nothing like that will ever happen again. However, if it does, I'll be ready. Looking back on the event. The guy would have killed me no problem since he was out of his mind. Additionally, he probably would have gotten away with it since he was crazy. I'm not sure a gun would have stopped him before he could have stabbed me b/c he was nuts and so close (unless there was a well placed shot or two). I guess I would have been justified in shooting him if I would have had a gun.

I'm interested to hear your comments and stories. Sorry for such a long post. I tried to keep it as brief as possible.

2. Spen84107

Spen84107

Luckily, I don't have a full-blown SHTF type of story. I do remember years ago, on GT there was a guy who had probably the worst SHTF story I've ever heard.

For me... my scariest story was coming home to a silver tacoma parked outside of my house. I looked in the tacoma, nothing suspicious. As I walked to my front door, I thought I heard voices around back. I walked in back, and found two men looking in the rear windows of my house. I said, "Something I can help you with?" They acted surprised, and said, "No no.. I think we're at the wrong house." I didn't think much of it, but I thought maybe I should call the police anyway. I explained what happen, gave a description of the car, but unfortunately, didn't think to get their license plate prior to them leaving. Fast forward 8 hours, 1 a.m., My roomate and girlfriend come running downstairs, and say, "ha ha.. very funny. You scared the hell out of us." Confused, I deny any involvement. Apparently, they were talking upstairs in the kitchen. They heard noise outside, looked over, and a sillouette placed their hands around their eyes to block the glare and peer into the window. My friend smacked the window over his face, which seemed to scare him off. As they were telling me this, someone kicked the door basement/garage entrace. I responded by saying, "call 911" and positioned myself down the hall from the basement/garage door with the G23. I didn't hear any more concrete noise. (a lot of things I THINK I heard, but I'm not sure.. the kicked door is the only one I'm sure of) Police took another report, but never came out. Never heard from the tacoma people again.

3. deadmonkey90

deadmonkey90 Pro Bass Angler

OP, you would have been completely justified by shooting him. Police come and make a report, find a dead guy with a blade and three witnesses that say he put the knife to you, you feared for your life and acted in a manner to eliminate the threat.

4. ctaggart

ctaggart

I'll give my first SHTF, it's brief. I was around 15 years old and it was hunting season and my twin bro and I found a car parked along the roadway near one of our treestands on our property. Hunting hours were over because it had just gotten dark. We yelled from the roadway, "Hey this is private property, you can't hunt here." A few seconds later a gunshot rang out from the area of the treestand directed at us. We dove behind the car, looked at each other and ran like hell.

We never called the police and didn't really think to tell our parents. Scared the living hell out of me and my brother, but made ya feel alive with the adrenaline dump, ya know?

5. aviator0402

aviator0402

6. Uncle Ben

Uncle Ben

I thought so too, but others seem to disagree over on the GG board. I guarantee that if I would have been armed at the time the prosecutor would be figuring it out right now.

7. Uncle Ben

Uncle Ben

That would be scary. I don't know why but I actually have a few SHTF stories. A couple years later at the same car wash I watched two guys trying to break into my change machine. We had security cameras everywhere which I could see from my attached apartment. I watched as one guy tried to break in while the other stood by my door to keep a lookout. I was also unarmed then. The police did make it in time to catch these two though.

8. Resqu2

Resqu2

I'll join the good shot club also. Matter of fact, I couldn't think of a situation where shooting would be more justified than this one.

9. ithaca_deerslayer

ithaca_deerslayer

The guy wasn't just crazy.

Who was driving the car that dropped him off and picked him up?

They were criminals. Maybe crazy, too. But also criminals with bad intent.

10. Uncle Ben

Uncle Ben

The occupants of the vehicle were his sister and her boyfriend. Looking back on it I should have just let him take the car. It was a pretty sweet ride, but insurance would have paid for a newer one. In his condition I doubt he would have made it very far. He probably would have crashed it into a ditch a couple miles down the road.

11. ithaca_deerslayer

ithaca_deerslayer

You don't know what would have happened. Maybe he would have grabbed your girlfriend as soon as you gave him the keys, then raped, tortured, and killed her.

You just freaking don't know.

Just curious, do you carry a gun nowadays?

12. Uncle Ben

Uncle Ben

Let me rephrase that. Looking back on it I should have let him take the car and the girlfriend. They had alot more in common than we did. Plus it would have saved me a hell of alot of trouble down the road. lol (Of course I would never want her to be raped, tortured or murdered)

I actually bought a G32 about a month ago and have the CCW class on Friday.

13. jslatts

jslatts

i dont have any SHTF stories thankfully. but still plan on CCW when i turn 21 in september

14. Uncle Ben

Uncle Ben

Awesome man. I hear it's better to just read SHTF stories rather than actually have one of your own.

15. ithaca_deerslayer

ithaca_deerslayer

I was 12, with my stepsister who was 14, and dropped off at a city mall by my dad while he ran some errands.

I was confronted by 6 opposite race bad guys about age 18, who tried to rob us. I pulled a knife and said I didn't have any money.

Things were tense, then a security guard ushered everyone away.

I forget where we went after that, someplace that seemed safer, not sure where, maybe a grocery store attached to the mall.

When my dad came back, he apologized and said he hadn't realized things had gotten so bad in the city. When he was a kid, things weren't like that.

I always carried a knife when I was a kid, even to school.

16. Palouse

Palouse The Resistance Lifetime Member

When I was 22, I went to pick up my girl friend as she was closing the little gas station she worked at. At around ten minutes before the place closed at 10:00 PM, some guy comes in and robs the place. He kept his j-frame pointed at me. I wasn't armed, and I truly thought I was going to die. He ran off with around $1500.

He was apprehended about two weeks later.

17. evomx5

evomx5 GLOCK Goob