close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

My rules of business communications - unreasonable?

Discussion in 'The Okie Corral' started by CitizenOfDreams, Jan 25, 2013.

1. SMOKEin

SMOKEin

I only answer the phone if my boss calls. I return voicemails with emails. I am way too busy and my priorities are MY priorities, not your lack of planning or understanding of the job you have been doing for 10+ years. I bet 50% of the emails I respond to are simply replies asking for the most relevant info, that its almost impossible to figure out how these people survive.

Every one on one call always ends with someone wanting to **** chat about weekend plans or how bad they hate their jobs. That's what happy hour is for, stop raping my ear hole when I'm busy.

Rant over.

2. nikerret

nikerret Mr. Awesome

I like when almost all of the voicemail is clear and understandable, yet irrelevant, until you get to the part where they leave their return number and it sounds like they're screaming it under water with a plastic bag over their head.

3. Buki192327

Buki192327

Just tell them listen up dang it, I don't have time to repeat this, for fools like you. That should get their attention. :supergrin:

All you want is their attention isn't it? :dunno:

Last edited: Jan 26, 2013
  4. alba666

alba666 WWJGD

Create an audit trail when:

1) Anyone tries to make their lack of planning your problem. The 4:30 customer callback and finding the customer gone REQUIRES an email to them and your boss with your need for more data and how to reach you on Monday. The poor planner will blame you when challenged by their boss why they didn't deliver. Your boss needs to be informed so they are empowered to have your back.

2) You receive verbal orders in an adversarial situation (especially if the other party brings their subordinate/peer/boss as witness). Document to person in authority (or your lawyer) so the story doesn't change later.

Posted using Outdoor Hub Campfire

5. CAcop

CAcop

I pretty much agree. I rarely use email unless it can wait or I need a trail, such as firearm inspection memos. I do tend to leave long messages because getting a phone call from the po-po can freak people out. It cuts down on frantic, repeated voicemails.

6. Dennis in MA

Dennis in MA Get off my lawn

I love people that ask a question via email. You respond fairly quickly. A half hour later, your phone rings. "Did you get my email?" "Yes, I already responded."

Then they read the email and ask other questions younalreadynanswered in your initial reply. Grrrrr

7. Recalcitrant

Recalcitrant

I prefer email because it can avoid much of the "he said/she said" and skip right to, "Here's the email." Occasionally, I've sent off the, "Per our conversation, I have..." email. I'm obviously documenting what happened and sometimes that's necessary. CYA and such.

I've always been good about checking my email and replying in a timely fashion. A phone call, for me, are for those things that demand immediate attention and unless you're my supervisor you can't dictate my priorities for the day. Send an email and when it's done or there's been a change, I'll reply.

I would guess part of it is generational, with younger people leaning more toward email.

8. Gallium

Gallium CLM

Yes, we covered this point in the thread 2hrs before your entry. :tongueout::tongueout: