Glock Forum - GlockTalk banner

1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Banned
1,407 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My mom takes about20 different meds a day. I take 3. Mom has epilepsy and other issues. I hate to say it but if the SHTF for real I'm going mad max style to the pharmacy. I know this could end my life then but I feel I have no choice. I will have to battle the junkies. I just can't figure a way to stockpile meds legally. I could probably do without mine but my mom cant and I will fight to the bitter end to save and take care of her.

·
Registered
8,844 Posts
JoJ, you gotta do what you gotta do. I'm totally on board with that.

Fortunately, the odds are that you will never face that eventuality during your mother's lifetime. You might raise this issue with her doc, to see what the maximum supply is that you can get your hands on.

:dog::dog::dog:

·
Registered
14,520 Posts
JoJ, If your mom is on 20 meds per day, it might be time to re-evaluate the meds she's on. Many people end up with one med after another over time, and find out that the combination may be creating problems that require other meds. My Father was on so many that he referred to his morning pill dose as his "gravel". Had the doctor re-evaluate the meds, and he got dropped down to less than 5 per day.

·
Registered
497 Posts
I agree with dudel 100%. If been thru this scenario, and had the number of meds cut in more then half.
Make a list, google them and you yourself may find a few that are contra-indicated for her to take together. 20 is way to many imho.
Good luck

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

·
Registered
5,702 Posts
Keep in mind that meds expire so stockpiling isn't going to be practical.

Having an extra 2-3 month supply of the critical ones may be more reasonable, but you're not going to be able to go all Doomsday prepper with them.

·
Registered
826 Posts
Have you looked into any natural methods (plants, roots, etc.) that provide treatment for the conditions your mom is being treated for? This gives you an alternative in case you can't get your hands on the meds.

·
Registered
12,554 Posts
The answers have fairly well nailed the options. I give you one more.

Stay alert to changes in medical treatments. Example - the dentist doesn't give out narcotics any more. He/she may give you prescription strength ibuprofin. (spelling). However, 4 over the counter 200 mg tablets = 1 prescription strength.

At one time naproxin was only prescription. Now it is over the counter.

·
Banned
1,407 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
JoJ, If your mom is on 20 meds per day, it might be time to re-evaluate the meds she's on. Many people end up with one med after another over time, and find out that the combination may be creating problems that require other meds. My Father was on so many that he referred to his morning pill dose as his "gravel". Had the doctor re-evaluate the meds, and he got dropped down to less than 5 per day.
We actually have. She was on about 34. She has lots of health problems.

·
Banned
1,407 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Keep in mind that meds expire so stockpiling isn't going to be practical.

Having an extra 2-3 month supply of the critical ones may be more reasonable, but you're not going to be able to go all Doomsday prepper with them.
Yes the FDA requires a expiration date but most meds especially tablets last much much longer but may lose some potency

·
Banned
1,407 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I keep current PDRs on meds and field medical guides. I have a first aid kit that could shame some doctors. I've stitched and quaterized myself among other more complicated things. Im pretty well versed on medical prep except for the meds. I know naturals for many but some just can't be replicated

·
Registered
1,373 Posts
My mom takes about20 different meds a day. I take 3. Mom has epilepsy and other issues. I hate to say it but if the SHTF for real I'm going mad max style to the pharmacy. I know this could end my life then but I feel I have no choice. I will have to battle the junkies. I just can't figure a way to stockpile meds legally. I could probably do without mine but my mom cant and I will fight to the bitter end to save and take care of her.
Couldn't agree more. Everyone is concerned about beans and bullets, but meds and health care will dominate in a real SHTF in super short order. The pharmacy will be akin to the OK Corral in the first few days. Simple things like losing or breaking a pair of glasses, a toothache, daily meds - some of which are literally lifesaving, or even an infected wound could be deadly without medical access.

You can buy an entire year's worth of prescriptions at a time if you pay for them yourself. (I.e, as in cash). It's not the pharmacy saying you can't buy more than 1 month or 90 days at a time, it's the insurance company. That's often not financially possible though.

·
Banned
1,407 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Couldn't agree more. Everyone is concerned about beans and bullets, but meds and health care will dominate in a real SHTF in super short order. The pharmacy will be akin to the OK Corral in the first few days. Simple things like losing or breaking a pair of glasses, a toothache, daily meds - some of which are literally lifesaving, or even an infected wound could be deadly without medical access.

You can buy an entire year's worth of prescriptions at a time if you pay for them yourself. (I.e, as in cash). It's not the pharmacy saying you can't buy more than 1 month or 90 days at a time, it's the insurance company. That's often not financially possible though.
Yes without insurance her meds would be a few thousand dollars a month plus two of hers are controlled substances. My hands are tied. I don't want to have to join the James Gang but if her life depends on it in a real SHTF situation I would. I mean I might die but if I didn't do it she would die you know. It's a bad situation I hope never happens.

·
Registered
188 Posts
IMO most of what docs say you need you don't. Weather its, high blood pressure, cholesterol, or sugars (for type2). Most are reduced by getting more exercise and modifying your diet. I'm not a health and fitness nut.

The worse thing you can do to your self is use diet soda a sweeteners. The second one is sitting around and never getting any exercise. Become aware of the salt consumed. If in excess of the RDA, you should then consider reducing salt in take, otherwise don't worry about it. Get out and walk, once a day. Consider vitamins (B (all of them) and D3, or cinnamon for type2, for examples) and other such, that known to improve what ails you. Do lots of research, there are lots of safer things to take, other that the junk the Docs offer...

Don't expect improvement in months but years (it took that long to get to were you are, so it to will take that time).

·
Banned
1,407 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
IMO most of what docs say you need you don't. Weather its, high blood pressure, cholesterol, or sugars (for type2). Most are reduced by getting more exercise and modifying your diet. I'm not a health and fitness nut.

The worse thing you can do to your self is use diet soda a sweeteners. The second one is sitting around and never getting any exercise. Become aware of the salt consumed. If in excess of the RDA, you should then consider reducing salt in take, otherwise don't worry about it. Get out and walk, once a day. Consider vitamins (B (all of them) and D3, or cinnamon for type2, for examples) and other such, that known to improve what ails you. Do lots of research, there are lots of safer things to take, other that the junk the Docs offer...

Don't expect improvement in months but years (it took that long to get to were you are, so it to will take that time).
Hard to do that at mom's age and condition. Like I said I could live without my 3 but her epilepsy isn't that easy to change nor her bone density. She has broken ribs by coughing and tying her shoes despite taking calcium most her life. She is truly disabled and I'm here because of her and consider it a honor to take care of her and would die to protect her. Today is exactly one year since losing Dad.

·
Lone Star of Texas
195 Posts
Hard to do that at mom's age and condition. Like I said I could live without my 3 but her epilepsy isn't that easy to change nor her bone density. She has broken ribs by coughing and tying her shoes despite taking calcium most her life. She is truly disabled and I'm here because of her and consider it a honor to take care of her and would die to protect her. Today is exactly one year since losing Dad.
The medical world has new thinking on calcium supplements to protect against bone loss; now certain holistic functional medicine doctors (ones who really want you to get well and stay well and live longer) say that as we age we should supplement with magnesium citrate, and get calcium from the food we eat, in order to keep strong bones. The AMA has lied to the American people for many years, and big pharma also, due to the billions of dollars profit extorted from Americans. Remember the food pyramid? Total garbage! When you take too much calcium, what the body does with it AND your bones is not healthy--there are books from highly respected medical authorities published about this now. It is disgusting that the AMA has let this go on for so many decades. My mother was on a dozen meds and had to be institutionalized. The doctor at the institution said she's dying, let's take her off all meds. What happened? She revived for a long time (several years). It was the meds killing her! I understand that all situations are different, and I'm sorry to hear about your mom's condition. I offer this info to encourage readers in similar situations to get a second or even a third opinion from different doctors, especially one specializing in "functional medicine". Regarding your threat to kill others; have you asked for help from the Lord? Would you grab your gun first and do murder, instead of praying and getting input from Christ first? Your mom needs to get to know the Lord before she passes, and you too it seems. Our lives are short on this earth, but hell is forever. I'm a Christian and I carry a G23 everywhere I go. Why? Not to force my will on others, but to be able to stop punks who use deadly weapons to try to force their unlawful, godless will on others. Please don't be one of them. If you need someone to talk to, try the Association of Certified Biblical Counselors; they help thousands every year.

·
Banned
1,407 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Um I said I'd be fighting junkies looting in all likelihood. Mom knows the Lord. I do too. So in a SHTF situation rather than kill you will allow you and your family to be killed? Why carry? A time will come for a sword. If you don't have one trade your cloak. A time will also come for two swords. Mom is defenseless. I will ALWAYS defend the defenseless

·
Lone Star of Texas
195 Posts
Yes, I've quoted Luke 22:36 many times myself, even in the Houston Chronicle (a liberal rag that I no longer subscribe to). I'm VERY glad that you folks are saved; let's just let the Holy Spirit be in control of whatever we do. Have a good day, my Brother in Christ and in Arms.

1 - 20 of 35 Posts