close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

My progress

Discussion in 'GSSF' started by GeorgeCA, Apr 9, 2004.

1. GeorgeCA

GeorgeCA Millennium Member

well this is my progress so far as I've been only getting to a match once a year

2002 195.70 (first time)

2003 180.93

2004 168.75

I just need to keep practicing. I know I dont post much, but I read all of your guys tips and stories and its helped me alot

Just wanted to say thanks!

2. Rusty Phillips

Rusty Phillips Moderator Millennium Member

I was going to ask you how your scores broke down (raw time and penalty times)

but then my wife left to go shopping and I found myself with some free time and decided to try to find your scores myself.

match total 5tg glockm plates
    Norco 04 168.75 35.01/11 27.2/61 34.54/0
    Norco 03 180.93 25.46/55 24.58/40 35.89/0
    Piru 02 195.7 28.21/51 27.45/30 39.04/20

looks like you have been hovering right around the top / middle of B, which is not exactly a bad place to be - eh? Maybe you dont want to get better - not just yet anyway!

I'm no fireglock, ;) but I'd say that you could probably slow down 3 seconds per run on the Glock M ( ~ 10 seconds extra for all three runs) and easily bring that 61 seconds of penalty time down to less than 20 (for a net reduction of 30 seconds)

dropping your match total to 138

It really sucks when your penalty time is more than your raw time - trust me - this much I know.

3. GeorgeCA

GeorgeCA Millennium Member

Thanks for your reply Rusty,
    I messed up on the Glock M, 61 added time was a -10 procedure and a miss -10. I just got really nervous and that was the first stage that I shot.once I settled down I did alright. Your right I need to slow down, I hope I can make a few more events this year.

thanks for your reply

4. Fireglock

Fireglock Which is worse?

As Rusty says, slower is faster. It just takes a little control to work it out. :)

5. TJC

TJC "No Compromise" Millennium Member

In GSSF shooting, you really can't shoot fast enough to make up for a miss like you can in some of the other sports.
    You need to find your top speed that still allows accuracy.

Speed will come with practice, accuracy is the first thing you need to accomplish.

6. FESTUS

FESTUS Horse Whisperer

GeorgeCa you can't go wrong from the tips you just received from the other fellows..I have been trying to follow their advice for 4 years now....and I have gone from 232.00 to a 129.00 .My biggest problem...you guessed it shooting too fast..and missing too fast, I have a tendency to blow my second or last round of 5 to Glock on the 25 yd target....and I mean miss, either too high or too low ....I believe after having someone watch me shoot at Lexington, I at least know that I have developed some bad habits due to some injuries in my youth and I am compensating.If you have a shooting Buddy it might assist you in measuring your progress...Good Luck;f

7. Rusty Phillips

Rusty Phillips Moderator Millennium Member

Would you believe me if I said I could guarantee you a solid A finish shooting at a 2 second per shot pace on the 5 to glock and Glock M and a one second per shot pace on the plates?

Impossible you say?

I say its easy, you just cant have any c's, or d's, or misses.

If you had a clean match at that tempo you would get a 138, and be solidly in the middle of A at any 3 way split match (not at Conyers which is a 6 way split)

Two seconds per shot is a loooong time..... you can do a lot of aiming in two seconds. But it feels unnatural. It feels weird.

And lets be honest, those 25 yard targets are a long way away, and the likelihood of you shooting a clean match is very low.... but even if you get a few points added for a couple C's or a D or two, you are still doing a heck of a lot better than most.

After a horrible showing at Statesville in 01 and 02 (364.39 and 235.90), I have been trying to slow down and shoot clean match's (no misses).... well, as clean as I possibly can.

The cleanest I have been able to get was 15 seconds total penalty added at Anderson 02 (155.26 total time),

and the best total time I had was Anderson 03 (17 seconds penalty and 139.36 total time)

I have been pleased so far with what I have been able to do (without really practicing all that much yet).

But as they say, your results may vary.