Glock Forum - GlockTalk banner

1 - 20 of 74 Posts

·
Registered
15,050 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
.......the day after I finally get my $1000 order of reloading supplies. I was all set to load up several thousand rounds.

This is an ancient Lee turret press that I got free to a good home years ago. It hasn’t been perfect, but I’m so damn cheap I’ve made it work and have reloaded thousands of rounds on it.

Today it **** it pants.

I have to have to buy something new. I am so damn cheap when it comes to reloading. Now I’m gonna have to load a lot of rounds to pay for a new press.

Lee hasn’t made parts for this press in a long long time. I found some broken ones on eBay that I could salvage parts from, but they are $80 plus and still bidding for several days. No way. Not worth it just for the other side of the linkage to break soon after I fix it.

I think I’m going to order a Rock Chucker and be done with it.

So for now I’m loading on this:

Pretty pitiful I know. Usually I just have my crimp die setup in there.

I prefer to prime on the press while resizing. I’m not sure I’m going to like the Rock Chuckers priming arm. The Lee was pretty quick and easy.

·
Registered
3,113 Posts
Sorry to see this. If your going on with a single stage, a rock chucker is a good one to have. Now, though, is a golden opportunity to sink your stimulus check into a progressive...

·
Registered
15,050 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
Sorry to see this. If your going on with a single stage, a rock chucker is a good one to have. Now, though, is a golden opportunity to sink your stimulus check into a progressive...
I’m considering it, but I’m so damn cheap.

The guy I learned from has a progressive and occasionally I use his when I have a large batch to reload.

But typically I load in small batches. I like to always have 1000 or so cases sized and primed. Then want I want to go shoot I just go to the Shop and bang out 100rds.

I just don’t load the volume that some of the guys on here do. The only reason I’ve loaded up so much recently is because of boredom while on house arrest.

When things go back to normal I doubt I’ll be loading a volume high enough to justify the cost.

·
Registered
2,147 Posts
I've had a Rock Chucker for over 30 years, right now its sitting on a shelf waiting for a bigger bench.

I replaced it with a Lee Classic Cast press when they first became available, the introductory price was cheep and the fact the spent primers passed through the ram and could be collected in a tube hung from the bottom of the ram were the selling points to me, priming on the press is O.K. but I prefer to hand prime.

which ever way you go, look into a Brass Kicker, it really speeds thing up on a single stage press.

Reactions: jk_226

·
Registered
15,050 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
After a little YouTube research I’m leaning towards a Lee Classic Cast for exactly the reasons listed above.

The spent primer disposal system seems better on the Lee. So does the priming lever system.

Too bad MidwayUSA is two weeks behind on shipping. That’s a long time to use this little press I’ve got setup right now.

·
Registered
448 Posts
You can spring for $1000 in components, but can't buy a decent press?

OK, if really that cheap buy another Lee turret press. You're accustomed to using a turret press.

But you'll be happier with a Redding, RCBS, or Lyman turret press. I mean, you've just proven you can beat a Lee to death.

My ancient Herters O press is probably older than you (ca 1964) and works perfectly. An almost as ancient Rockchucker still works perfectly. Buy once, cry once.

·
Registered
5,834 Posts
I have a Redding Big Boss press and while it was initially expensive it’s more than paid for itself in the 13 years i’ve been using it.The primers drop down the ram and out a tube at the bottom to a collection bottle. Easy and no mess. I have no idea how many thousands of rounds it’s made but it’s just as tight today as when i bought it. I like some of Lee’s products but the cast aluminum stuff ain’t it.

Reactions: sigman69

·
Premium Member
26,271 Posts
While I liked my LEE 1000. The Dillion SDB was a dang good pistol caliber reloader. IMO. You can find them used if you put wire out. Dillion used to rebuild them really cheap.

·
Registered
15,050 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
You can spring for $1000 in components, but can't buy a decent press?

OK, if really that cheap buy another Lee turret press. You're accustomed to using a turret press.

But you'll be happier with a Redding, RCBS, or Lyman turret press. I mean, you've just proven you can beat a Lee to death.

My ancient Herters O press is probably older than you (ca 1964) and works perfectly. An almost as ancient Rockchucker still works perfectly. Buy once, cry once.
It’s thirty years old.

I just ordered a new Lee Classic 4 hole turret.

The linkage where mine broke appears to have been improved on the newer models.

$111

And yes I realize I’m a cheap. That $1000 in components is gonna load a lot of ammo.

Spending money on a new press really ups my cost per round and takes a long time to pay for itself.

Hopefully I like this new one. I don’t use the auto index feature so I’m hoping my three hole plates will fit in the new press.

·
Registered
36,235 Posts
Ven Dillons break over time. I sheared the bottom off a powder measure last month, just metal failure, crap happens. Though I bet Lee stuff fails more often. I base that off their cheap bullet molds & the plastc hand primer.

·
Registered
36,235 Posts
It’s thirty years old.

I just ordered a new Lee Classic 4 hole turret.

The linkage where mine broke appears to have been improved on the newer models.

$111

And yes I realize I’m a cheap. That $1000 in components is gonna load a lot of ammo.

Spending money on a new press really ups my cost per round and takes a long time to pay for itself.

Hopefully I like this new one. I don’t use the auto index feature so I’m hoping my three hole plates will fit in the new press.
I dont think the tool heads are the same.

·
Registered
13,939 Posts
I just finished 100 rounds of .45 Auto Rim on my R.C. I use it for my low volume stuff and all my rifle rounds. I deprime and resize cases that end up in my Dillon case feeder on the 550.
Have owned it 10 years and pumped thousands of cases through it. The only downside is the spent primer catch. It "catches about 9 out of 10 primers". The other one falls to the floor.

·
Registered
15,050 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Probably still end up getting the rock chucker single stage.

I like having a single stage for certain things and this little cheapo one I’m using isn’t gonna last long with real use.

·
Registered
60 Posts
Lee Classic turret press isn't a bad choice, I got the original turret press back in the 90's, did the upgrade to 4th station, used it for many years, put it on Ebay finally for $70( I think I bought it for $77) and got the Classic, I started 308 back a few years ago and the Classic will still do "auto index" with the rifle rounds.

·
NRA Life Member
66,481 Posts
[Please insert sarcastic comment about ordering $1,000 worth of components to reload on a worn-out $75 press]

1 - 20 of 74 Posts