close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

My Presbyopia Solution Works!

Discussion in 'GSSF' started by FillYerHands, Mar 29, 2010.

1. FillYerHands

FillYerHands you son of a

Well, this may not be news to others, but I wanted to share it with yall.

For about the last 10 years, when I would shoot with my contact lenses in, the best I could hope for was a blurry sight picture, with a sharp target. It is what I have gotten used to, and I guess I have compensated okay.

Last week I went for my annual eye exam, and this time I asked the optometrist to help me out. He ended up giving me a sample contact for my right (dominant) eye that corrects it to 20/20 at arm's length. Since I would only wear it for about 6 hours at a time a few times a month, I figure this one sample should last me a year with proper care.

So this weekend I went to the range and tried it out, and it definitely works. I have a sharp sight picture for the first time in a long time. In fact, I can read without my reading glasses, but I would not want to do this long term as it definitely isn't a really pleasant thing - it's half blurry. (Maybe it's time for a monocle . . . )

Any way, I will give it a try in competition in April and report to the group what I have found.

2. CAcop

CAcop

Did he give you an aspheric lens? My doc is telling me that is what he is going to do with me when I get to that point. Apparently only 80% of people can handle it. It basically scatters the light and your brain figures out what it needs for what you are looking at.

3. FillYerHands

I don't think so. It's the same brand as my others, same prescription just the diopter is 2 full points higher. -0.50 versus -2.50.

4. CAcop

CAcop

Okay I get what he did now. There is no way I could do that. I would be barfing on the drive to the range if I did that.

5. FillYerHands

It was different, I will say that. The range is a mile away so it wasn't a big deal, but when I drive 2 hours to a match I will probably take some soap and Purel and change it in the clubhouse men's room.

6. FillYerHands

UPDATE - IT REALLY DOES WORK:

Unfortunately it's been a tight summer, with the economy down and paying for college and what not, this past weekend I got to shoot my first match with the new right eye contact in - GSSF Glock Annual Shoot XVII in Conyers, GA.

I probably shot my best GSSF match ever, with only one miss, and I even called that one when it happened. In the past I could never call my shots because the sight picture was an approximation at best. Now I have a real view of the front sight when I release the shot. I know that's normal to yall but to me this is new, and I love it.

7. Adjuster

Adjuster

Can you get a pair of shooting glasses with one lens at your needed prescription? Seams this would be way more convenient.

8. FillYerHands

That would be one solution. I've even heard of using the stick on diopters on the dominant eye.

But one thing I found 12 years ago when I switched from glasses to contacts is that contacts are a lot more comfortable, and I lose the parallax and the bent lines I had from my old strong glasses.

Plus, the sample lens for my dominant eye was free. I don't have prescription shooting glasses so I would have to buy those. So for me this works better.

Good idea, though.

9. FillYerHands

Oh, by the way, driving was no problem.

10. Jim Watson

Jim Watson

Yes, I have been doing that for years and am not alone.
    My right lens is at an intermediate setting to see my sights, my left lens is at my regular distance Rx to see the target.

Heck, I know one shooter SO enthusiastic that she had Lasix done like that, monovision for shooting. It does not bother her to walk and drive. She wears glasses to read.