close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

My practice set-up / opinions????

Discussion in 'GSSF' started by mike g35, Oct 9, 2011.

1. mike g35

mike g35

I wanted to show you guys the set-up I have been practicing (I mean cheating, sorry bama:tongueout:) with since Beckley in the hopes that maybe someone can look at what I have to use and add some new drills to the ones I am doing now or maybe just lend some advice. I am shooting in Lexington in a couple weeks and I really would like to put my best foot forward and have a better showing than last time. You can look on the left and see my MGM Colt Speed plate auto-popper, thats what I use to run 1/2 size Glock-M stages. I also use the 1/2 size IPSC target but I mainly use that for short range double tap practice. The targets pictured are AP-1's not D-1's and they have the rings forward for easy scoring but I turn them around and shoot the blank side (after adding some target barn pasters) for more realism. Any help or opinions would be greatly appreciated.:wavey: Right now I am running accuracy, transition, plates, and first shot drills as well as shooting 1/2 size stages.

(I was only recently told that shooting the plates off of the ground was dangerous. I am ordering some post style target stands to fix the problem)

2. ede

ede Bama's Friend

shoot faster, shoot paper at 100' shoot a paper plate at 100' instead of a D1, shoot plates from 40' or so'

3. PM720

PM720

CHEATER!! :thumbsup: What do you use the water puddle for? ;) Is this on your property? Nice setup to have easy access to. I have to drive an hour to be able to setup like this. :frown: Seems to me like you are on the right track here.

Scott

4. mike g35

mike g35

I wish that was my property but sadly its not. I carry all of those targets out to a local (public) shooting range. They really aren't that bad to carry and it only takes me a few minutes to set them up. Usually when I get to the range I let others shoot some plates and other runs also just because

I figure they might join GSSF or at least buy a Glock if I do and they patiently wait for me to set-up. When I'm at the range I let people shoot ALL of my guns (raceguns included) at ALL of my targets (even though they beat the post on my IPSC target to death). Its the best thing I can do to be a good ambassador for my sport and to help the sport grow.:supergrin:

5. rpgman

rpgman SCGLOCK

I could set something like that up on my private range...

Mike, do you have all the places you got those plates and poppy from?

and, what are distances on all those?

thanks,
    Greg

6. Don At PC

Don At PC Senior Member Millennium Member

Totally Breathless!!!!!!!!!!!!!!:faint:

Don

7. Melissa5

Melissa5

Mike sent me to Quality Targets for 8" plates. They were $85 delivered for six 3/8" plates. I am going to have some guys I work with weld door hinges on the bottom of the plates, then I will mount them on a 2 x 4 and mount that to a saw horse. Luckily, I have a cow pasture behind my house that the owner lets me shoot in. I'm thinking that I'll get everything set up and then cover it with a camo tarp.

8. mike g35

mike g35

Greg the auto-popper and the IPSC 1/2 size were from MGM targets. They're a little pricey but they are extremely tough. The plates are from Quality Targets, they are not very expensive at all. They were $85 shipped and I have thousands of rounds on mine and they show no sign of wear. The paper target holders are from Great Industries (got from Brownells) and they were about $50 or so.
    The paper targets (if I remember right) were set at 5, 15, and 25 yards. The plates were at 11 yards as was the auto popper. The IPSC 1/2 size was at right around 15 yards but I don't think it was exact. I had to mave it forward a little bit to keep bullet splatter from destorying my paper targets. I probably have about $450 in everything you see (just a guess).

9. mike g35

mike g35

Melissa I'm glad to hear you got some plates:wavey:. You're going to love shooting real steel, its not necasssary but it sure is fun!!! Let me know how your improvised plate rack works out. I am buying some armored stands from MGM targets to put mine on. That will allow me to be a little more mobile with them than i could be with a rack.

10. rpgman

rpgman SCGLOCK

thanks Mike,
    I appreciate it.
    Greg

11. mike g35

mike g35

Anytime Greg.