My poor puppy!

Discussion in 'Woof Memorial Critter's Corner' started by Z71, Aug 24, 2007.

1. Z71

Z71

My 6 year old boxer Nitro is sickly! Was my father in law's dog until he passed on last summer. I got Nitro, and been caring for him since then.

A beautiful and well behaved white boxer, Nitro has been a fine and trouble free friend.

I noticed a couple weeks ago that he was not quite himself. Drinks a lot, pee's alot, not much appetite or energy. At first, I thought it might be the heat, and the boredom of having to stay inside most of the day to avoid the heat. Later last week, started eating less and less, and getting lethargic and losing weight!

I began to suspect he might be diabetic. Ran him to the animal hospital and had him checked out. Not diabetic, but they sent off a blood sample suspecting he may have hyperparathyroidism, because of some chemical imbalances he had.

Got the test results back today, not hyperparathyroidism! Might be lymphoma(cancer) causing his problems!:sad:

Don't know for sure, have to take him in again Monday for more tests and get him checked for cancer!

Man! This is bad, about to cry right now. I've had bad dogs and good dogs, but am really attached to this dog.

Don't know what to think! Saying my prayers to St Francis of Assisi and crossing my fingers for a good outcome to this deal.

2. ppk/sfan

ppk/sfan Guest

Sorry to hear about the sick puppy!

I'm not a vet...just a new dog owner. Of course take the advice of your vet!

BUT a couple of things I might consider would be
    1- the age of the dog
    2- any toxic exposure to anything?
    3- diet?

I hope its not any kind of cancer!

3. Z71

Z71

I don't know, but I think my beautiful dog is getting better.

We have a vet appointment tommorrow early to check for cancer.

Has improved quite a bit, but I still am very scared. Saying prayers for my puppy repeatidly!

I wonder if he did get into something, but have no idea what! Also wonder if he may have had a mild erlichea episode, but would think that would show in the blood work?

Something like parvo or corona he should be vaccinated for, but I've seen them still get those illneses despite vaccinations.

Hopefully we'll find something out tommorrow! Still worried sick!

4. MrsKitty

MrsKitty

:hugs:

I don't know much about it but a GTer lost his Rottie to canine lymphoma not too long ago. If it turns out to be that, SomeGuyInAHat (not sure I spelled that right/caps) will probably be able to give you some info. He is not on as much now but it would be worth a shot to shoot him a PM. He kept Chase a pretty good while after being diagnosed.

I hope it is just the heat... :angel:

5. MrsKitty

MrsKitty

Oh, and don't forget stress. Has your hours changed? New pets/people around? Anything new in pup's life? Dogs can get stressed and physically sick from the stress, too.

6. pjrocco

pjrocco Rock

Sounds like kidney issues to me. Please keep us updated...

7. Z71

Z71

Well??? Nitro had his spleen removed plus some strange lymph tissue this evening. Came through surgery well.

I had taken him in yesterday for an ultra-sound and xrays, which showed some abnormalitys in his spleen and the funky lymph nodes in his abdominal cavity. Scheduled surgery for today.

Just got word back about his surgery just now. I guess the vet surgeon waited until late to do the surgery so as not to be disturbed.

Apparently not just riddled with "abnormal" tissue. Looks good from that aspect of things. Won't know if the removed tissue/spleen is cancerous until sometime next week. Hence, won't know a real course of post surgical treatment until next week either.

I'm feeling better about the deal. At least have something tangable going on. Don't know if I'll get to pick my poor puppy up tommorrow or not. Maybe will get to get him late tommorrow evening? Just have to see.

Can't say that things are looking up, but the surgeons report was about the first hopeful news I've gotten on my poor dog! Still a scary situation.

8. Blinky

Blinky Rocket Surgeon

Well, it's good news that active steps are being taken. I hope they get it figured out.

:thumbsup: