close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

My Pit is digging

Discussion in 'Woof Memorial Critter's Corner' started by Critter, Jan 14, 2007.

1. Critter

Critter Patriot Customs

and I cannot get him to stop. I walk him twice a day, the kids play fetch with him and he has a couple pof chew toys, one being my other dog. (They both play all day) He has learned to wait on us to go out of the gate first, loose leash walk, sit, lay down, fetch, etc... so he is teachable. The older dog doesn't chew or dig, but the younger one is driving my wife nuts! What else can I try?

2. slick slidestop

slick slidestop

I have always had Black Labs, and they are notorious chewers/diggers.

I used to put my dogs crap in the hole and they would either stop or try a new spot. After a few holes, they usually just stopped all together.

I do allow my dogs to dig 1 "bedding" area under a deck in the backyard to keep cool in.

I heard someone once say to put a really big rat trap in the hole, and let it snap their paw......sounds cruel to me so I never did that.

3. Critter

Critter Patriot Customs

Trying the poop prescription now. Had the kids out on patrol this morning since they were home 'celebrating the holiday' from school. Will let you know how it works for me.

The rat trap idea? That tells me all I need to know about that individual, and he's not worth the medicine in the afore mentioned prescription.

4. Peace Warrior

Peace Warrior Am Yisrael Chai CLM

Is he digging to get out? or digging to get cool? or digging just cuz he is a puppy?

if to get out: easiest for me is to "bury" fencing, ON INSIDE OF HIS YARD, along your fence line. Just cut out/ cut back the sod (if no sod is left: just lay some fencing material down and sow grass seeds per grass seed bag's instruction) and insert the fencing material. I have never paid for the fencing, people through it away all the time.

to get cool: you may want to give him some latitude in a not so noticable place around the yard or under some hedges. think about it.

puppy love: puppy do a LOT of things... let him know you disapprove and try that poop idea... i will test that one myself

5. Criphunter44

Criphunter44 ALPHA BEAR

Try adding "baby powder" or some other talc into a ballon and inflating it. Put that in the hole and cover. Cured my lab the first time.

6. pjva04

pjva04 Snub Lover

I have heard of the poop idea before, but never tried it. My pit digs, too. I thought it was just because she was trying to get cool, but she does it in the cooler months, as well. There are two spots she specifically digs in, and my American Bulldog gets in those ones also. I think my Shepherd mix was the one that started them (she has relocated with family members who have two boys). I can't keep those holes filled. My only concern with the poop thing is that my ABD is sort of a copropheliac (not all the time, but when it interests him it can be a real pain).

The rat trap idea sounds extremely cruel. Whoever would suggest something like that is probably the same type of jerk that gave my dogs' breed a bad name!

7. Walter45Auto

Walter45Auto

My uncle was one hell of a good dog trainer. And on behalf of a friend I asked him how to stop a dog from digging. He suggested the poop thing (turned out it din't work for this dog.). He also suggested something involving a mousetrap. HEAR ME OUT before you start flaming. He said that you set the trap, put it in the hole, and put thick plastic dropcloth over it, then cover the plastic with a thin layer of dirt. The way it works, is when the dog trips the mousetrap it will catch on the plastic instead of on the dog, pitch dirt up in the dogs face and scare the dog. Same basic concept as the baloon filled with Talc powder.

:freak:

:reindeer: :50cal:

8. pjva04

pjva04 Snub Lover