close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

my parents hurt my feelings last night

Discussion in 'The Okie Corral' started by banjobob, Sep 2, 2013.

1. Jackalo626

Jackalo626

Maybe the Austrian vacation is a financial hit to them so the rifle wasn't in the cards. Possibly your brother is the favorite as some say but I like to think of it as the one with more in common with the parents or aims more to please them. Either way your parents are still around and you have a wife and make "a lot" of money so be happy and focus on the good in life.

Last edited: Sep 2, 2013
  2. Sinister Paige

Sinister Paige

3. Kevin108

Kevin108 THIS IS IN ALL CAPS

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RjF93E4LjlA"]I'm a Man! I'm 40! - YouTube[/ame]

4. Deanster

Deanster Cheese? Millennium Member CLM

So, it both sucks that your 40th didn't get the attention you'd like, and I'd add to those above who've suggested that the mostly likely reason is something other than 'they love my brother more than me'.

Esp. if it's ben a few years, they may have a change in financial status, health, mental focus, energy, etc. In fact, I'd suggest that the $200 gift is a powerful sign that they didn't feel up for doing something more-thoughtful - cash is always nice, but it's also to some extent a 'gift of last resort', when you can't do something better.

Honestly, I'd take this as an opportunity to take a good hard look at what's going on with them - I'd be surprised if a bit of investigating didn't turn up something significant going on with them that you haven't known about.

5. banjobob

banjobob

You are absolutely right. Thanks

PS I Gave my dad a Browning hipower for his 75th.

6. ysr_racer

ysr_racer

Grow up. You sound like a little girl.

Plus, what 40 year still gets birthday presents from their parents?

7. JMS

JMS 02

a)their financial situation isn't as good as you would believe?

b)with everyone hoarding and buying everything up, he was unable to find you one? Offer the $200 to your brother for his :supergrin:

8. ysr_racer

ysr_racer

My mom died of Alzheimer's a few years ago. Before she died I started to tell her I loved her (for the first time in my life).

Now my dad isn't doing so well. So when I told him I loved him, he replied, "what, are you gay now?"

And so it goes :)

9. G30SF/F-250

G30SF/F-250 Pinky Out Platinum Member

PA to KY to NC to OH to VA to GA to NY to FL....
    Well now that's different! You didn't tell that to begin with!

I sure everyone's opinion will change now!:wavey:

:rofl:

10. hpracing007

hpracing007

Sorry to hear about your mom.

I'd expect the same reaction out of my dad. :supergrin: I didn't get why he emphasized toughness and manliness SO much growing up but now that I'm older, it's pretty clear.

11. jay29

jay29

You are spoiled. For my 40th I didn't want anything from anybody. My father passed away the year before during my birthday week, mom doesn't have much money, my brother has a sick daughter, and my wife has no need to work and has no money besides what I give her.

So I saved and bought myself a two week vacation to Italy. My actual birthday I spent in rainy Florence. :cool:

Gold Cups and the like...wow it must be nice. :whistling:

12. Slug71

Slug71

First, Happy Birthday!

Next, Don't let it get you down man. I see where you're coming from but at the end of the day, it's just materialistic. The most important thing is, that you still have your parents and were able to celebrate your birthday with them.
    Take the $200 and put it towards a firearm or something you've really been wanting to get and will keep.
    Their finance situation may have changed and they do not let it show or feel the need to discuss it.
    Really, don't let it get you down.

My Birthday was in August. My parents and brother live in New Zealand. My mom has Breast Cancer. My biological dad passed away in 2000, shortly after we all moved to New Zealand from South Africa.
    I have not spent a Birthday with my Mom and Step Dad in almost 8 years since I moved to the US. Ive had 1 birthday with my brother when he was here in 2011. Had 2 Xmas's with my parents and brother in 8 years. Have NOT had a Xmas with all the extended family since 1998.

Trust me, be happy with what you have. I'm in a bad spot at the moment. The money my parents sent me went straight to bills.

13. Dennis in MA

Dennis in MA Get off my lawn

Let it go. I feel your pain. When my older brother was 17, my parents gave him a car. When my younger sister was 16, they gave her a new Toyota Highlander. I bought my first car at 21 with my own money while still in college.

At 44, I can tell you the stupid things they did to me were because of their own brokenness. But the bottom line is I AM more successful than both of them. In some twisted way, treating me lesser actually made me better.

Honestly - F my parents. My need for their approval went out the window a long time ago.

14. Zonny

Zonny

I think the idea of adults giving each other money for gifts is really weird. :dunno:

15. ysr_racer

ysr_racer

I think the idea of adults giving each other gifts is really weird.

I fixed it for you. The only gifts I give are to my wife, her kids, and our grandkids.

16. ChallengerSRT

ChallengerSRT

Yeah, but he may have resented your giving it to him loaded and telling him to take it behind the barn!:rofl: J/K

Maybe your folks were in a better financial situation when they celebrated your brother's 40th birthday. There are things I've done more for one of my children over another only because I was in a better financial position to be more generous at the time.

17. LASTRESORT20

LASTRESORT20 L T G

You got style....:cool:

18. nursetim

nursetim

I don't think y'all get it. His parent, to his way of thinking, confirms the suspicion in his mind that he means less to them than his brother. I think his hunch is right, but there is usually more to the story, known or unknown by the OP.

I don't receive birthday presents, ever, and no I'm not a Jehovah's Witness. It used to set my nose out of joint. I came up with a devilishly clever idea. I buy myself what I want and send thank you cards to my "friends".

Suck it up, don't try to overcompensate for the perceived, real or imagined, shortfall of love, admiration, or affection. It is what it is.

19. itisbruno

itisbruno Devious Member CLM

That is the only way I can get a "date"

:fist:

:sigh:

20. DWavs

DWavs Moderator Moderator

That about sums it up right there....