My own stray dog experience...

Discussion in 'The Okie Corral' started by Glock20 10mm, Feb 19, 2013.

1. Rotn1

Rotn1

Sorry to hear.

2. Glock20 10mm

Glock20 10mm Use Linux!

I am confused by this.

3. Roering

Roering Sorting nuts

Not attacking, or even questioning. Just offering my condolences for you having to put the dogs down. Although justified, I'm sure you didn't exactly feel good about it.

4. Roering

Roering Sorting nuts

bingo.

5. Rotn1

Rotn1

Am a dog lover. Dont like hear about dogs getting shot /killed.
    Mostly the fault of a stupid and or negligent owner.

Did not like to hear that through someones (owners) negligence that you were put in position to have to fire / defend yourself and your family.

Concerned that if you had somehow missed, in the precious little time you had you could very well have been injured. I know you did not miss but it would have been better not to have been fored to defend yourself.

Particualry concerned that your child could have been either injured by an animal attack, or she could have seen the event and had a "tramatic" affect on her with daddy shooting a dog(s). I know she was not in the immediate proximity.

So, sorry to hear, meant I am genuinely sorry you were put in that situation.

6. 4 glocks

4 glocks

I am glad it all worked out.

Two times on my property I had stray dogs come after me.
    One time I was walking back from my mail box. I was unarmed and a stray dog was very aggressive at me.
    I was able to get away by walking slow around the house and get in the back door. It made me understand how fast a situation can change.
    The second time I was armed but the dog back off at the last min.

Most of the time now when I go outside I have a gun on me.
    Sh** happens fast.

7. Glock20 10mm

Glock20 10mm Use Linux!

Ah, thank you. Yeah, I don't cotton to shooting dogs either but as noted I didn't have a choice. I know I never would have made it to any form of safety (downside to living on a lot of acreage) so I reacted. I have been calling all of the neighbors asking if they are missing two dogs, so far none have said yes.

Other than the chain on the one pits neck, neither had collars and I checked for tattoos. Animal control has their bodies now (I had them collect the carcasses to check for an RFID chip) and I inquired this morning if either dog was chipped, the answer was in the negative.

Best we can tell is these animals were dumped up in our neck of the woods. Which sadly is not all that uncommon. Most times we don't have to shoot these abandoned dogs, we can catch them and turn them over to animal control. But there are occasions such as my recent incident we have no choice.

As a case in point, about a year ago one of my neighbors had to take out a Rottweiler that was attacking his 4 month old colt. Like you he's a dog lover as well, has several border collies.

I do wish things had been different but they weren't. The one thing I am truly grateful for is that my baby wasn't harmed or immediately present. Mali and I have a plan to build an enclosure for the children so we don't have to worry as much. That will get put up this weekend.

What has me really concerned right now though is several neighbors have reported a mountain lion on their properties in broad day light, and one of them is right next to mine. These sightings have happened in the last two weeks. So last night I started to spread ammonia soaked rags around a predetermined perimeter with the idea is that the smell will keep the mountain lion (and other predators) at bay.

I have also just ordered a couple more game cameras so I can start tracking more of my property, see if this cat is coming onto our land and where as well as what time. I know the campus I work for tracks mountain lions and I believe the one we are seeing is one being tracked, so I have opened a dialog with these folks to obtain their data as well, I am just waiting for their response.

Living in the mountains is rarely dull...

8. Rotn1

Rotn1

Please take no offense, just glad you and daughter are OK.

I have Rottweiler number 4 at home now and a fat 10 y/o toothless and ill mannered Schnauzer that I just inherited from a recently dead uncle.

Becasue of my history of owning Rott's I am particualry sensitive to powerful doggies being well trained, well mannered and well controlled.

The toothless Schnauzer constanly attacks the Rott, but can do no damage. It is now a constant reminder of what a lack of training can lead to.

Glad you are well.

9. TX OMFS

TX OMFS Right wing nut Lifetime Member

Really thought these people would be here by now. Church must be in session.

[​IMG]

I know I already used that picture so don't bother.

10. GLOCK19FTW

GLOCK19FTW

Glad to hear you're alright. I'm honestly more worried about animals around here than I am people, since we have so much land.

Hell, just a week or two ago, I almost had to kill a coyote at the end of my driveway.

I was taking my dog out for the night when all of a sudden she just started going crazy. She started barking and went running after something, towards the road.

I went running after her as a reflex, screaming & yelling for her to stop.

I got her to stop and turn around, then she went and sat on the porch and waited for me.

That's when I seen what she was chasing. The coyote stopped at the end of the driveway, just staring at me..

I'm pretty sure it was rabid, because it was definitely not afraid of me at all. I was literally screaming at the thing at the top of my lungs, stomping, etc.. It wouldn't move though.

So I drew my pistol and prepared to fire, in case it tried to charge me once I started backing up.

I didn't want to shoot unless absolutely necessary though, so I started throwing rocks at it with my left hand while holding the pistol in my right.

Eventually one of the rocks hit it and it ran off. Scared the hell out of me tho.

Last edited: Feb 20, 2013
  11. toshbar

toshbar Timber Baron

I am sure the majority amongst us would appreciate a video of such. :supergrin:

12. pizza_pablo

pizza_pablo USN Retired

13. Dubble-Tapper

Dubble-Tapper

Glad you are ok.

In before that one 30+ year dog trainer clown comes to tell you that you should have altered your behavior around those well trained animals.

Posted using Outdoor Hub Campfire

14. Detectorist

Detectorist

So, you determined the coyote was rabid and choose to throw rocks at it instead of shooting it?

15. BigBull 301

BigBull 301

Well done!

Back in the day I had to shoot a GS that was intent on attacking my son. Dog died, son was scared but okay.

16. HKLovingIT

HKLovingIT Resident Evil

Oh Lawdy!

17. strack350

strack350

OMG finally something open carry did not prevent :wow::wow:

on a more serious note though, glad you got the dogs down before something bad happened to your daughter/family. Nothing worse than roaming dogs, and irresponsible owners...:steamed:

18. GLOCK19FTW

GLOCK19FTW

I'm not a vet.. I don't know if it was really rabid or not.

From what I hear though, if they aren't scared off by people they are most likely rabid.

Had I shot it while it was just standing at the end of driveway I would have HAD to clean it up, even if it didn't attack me.

I'd rather not come anywhere near rabies-infested blood if I didn't truly HAVE to... lol

I figured if I could somehow scare it off instead, that would be better.. and it was :)

Last edited: Feb 20, 2013
  19. sierrafast

sierrafast Coleccionista

Good deal. I am glad it all worked and you and your daughter were not hurt.

Posted using Outdoor Hub Campfire

20. Comedian

Comedian

This!