Glock Forum - GlockTalk banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
5,709 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I bought 20 acres to shoot at when all the ranges were closed by executive order.

Now that outdoor ranges have opened back up, I was trying to see what specific things were best practiced at my personal range.

Note: all targets were set low to the ground and the property extends for a couple hundred yards in each shooting direction and has a backstop of 30+ feet elevation for safety.

Behold! My beginnings of USPSA field course practice! Testing feasibility of Airsoft practice as a quieter surrogate, seems to be reasonable (but probably not necessary for more experienced competitors).

Really trying to focus on entry and exit target shooting position / sight picture. But of course I still need work. Don’t judge me too harshly! That’s why I have to practice!

·
Registered
20,956 Posts
You need something to shoot around instead of over. Looks like fun, can I come over?

I think I just made a lymric????

/

·
Native Mainiac
23,833 Posts
You need something to shoot around instead of over. Looks like fun, can I come over?

/
Well....not even close...and you didn't even spell it correctly.

But maybe......
You're a poet and don't know it. But yer a Longfellow, because your feet show it.

Definition of Limerick
Limerick is a comic verse, containing five anapestic (unstressed/unstressed/stressed) lines, in which the first, second, and fifth lines are longer, rhyme together, and follow three metrical feet. The third and fourth lines rhyme together, are shorter, and follow two metrical feet. However, sometimes it may vary, and amphibrachic (unstressed/stressed/unstressed) form can replace anapestic. In fact, it is a bawdy, humorous, or nonsensical verse written in the form of five anapests, with an aabba rhyme scheme. Since it has a special structure and format, it is called fixed or closed form of poetry.

·
On the Border
15,282 Posts
Looks good, man!

On reload exits, drop the mag right at the call - like it kB's out of the gun. Then explode out of the position immediately. Start slowing down sooner on entry, and eliminate the stabilizing time.

Don't let the act of getting the mag into the gun slow you down or add any time. In most cases it takes less time if you insert it late, not early.

Try to set some stuff up with vision barriers, so you can't see the array until you're almost set up. Wobbling setups are good too, especially with complex vision barriers.

·
Registered
5,927 Posts
You need something to shoot around instead of over.
/
Plastic 55 gallon drums stack real nicely. Watch Craigslist to find a deal on those. You can make tall target stands pretty quickly and easily using 2x4’s and 2x2’s and cardboard.

I am jealous. When is the barbecue to break it in?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
21,731 Posts
Plastic 55 gallon drums stack real nicely. Watch Craigslist to find a deal on those. You can make tall target stands pretty quickly and easily using 2x4’s and 2x2’s and cardboard.

I have a farm implement dealership near me that will give the blue acid drums away for free. I need to go back and pick up a bunch more.

Reactions: 1bigK and -JCN-

·
Registered
5,927 Posts
Just thinking here, but when I see Colion Nior practicing at that Texas range with all of the tires for the backstops, are those tires dirt filled? I am willing to bet that tires that are rammed dirt filled would make one hell of a backstop. Bet you can get used, thrown out tires for nothing; and dirt is free. It would take a bit more effort than just piling up dirt for backstop, just my 2 cents.

Reactions: -JCN-

·
Registered
20,956 Posts
Well....not even close...and you didn't even spell it correctly.

But maybe......
You're a poet and don't know it. But yer a Longfellow, because your feet show it.

Definition of Limerick
Limerick is a comic verse, containing five anapestic (unstressed/unstressed/stressed) lines, in which the first, second, and fifth lines are longer, rhyme together, and follow three metrical feet. The third and fourth lines rhyme together, are shorter, and follow two metrical feet. However, sometimes it may vary, and amphibrachic (unstressed/stressed/unstressed) form can replace anapestic. In fact, it is a bawdy, humorous, or nonsensical verse written in the form of five anapests, with an aabba rhyme scheme. Since it has a special structure and format, it is called fixed or closed form of poetry.

Aaaah see you are correct about 'limerick'. But I made a 'lymric' totally different thing. o_O

/

·
Registered
5,709 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·

/
Looks good, man!

On reload exits, drop the mag right at the call - like it kB's out of the gun. Then explode out of the position immediately. Start slowing down sooner on entry, and eliminate the stabilizing time.

Don't let the act of getting the mag into the gun slow you down or add any time. In most cases it takes less time if you insert it late, not early.

Try to set some stuff up with vision barriers, so you can't see the array until you're almost set up. Wobbling setups are good too, especially with complex vision barriers.

I have a farm implement dealership near me that will give the blue acid drums away for free. I need to go back and pick up a bunch more.
Thanks for the tips! Fit 4 Craigslist barrels at $15 each in the SUV.

338ADA5A-8BA2-47E1-B244-1B546524540C.jpeg

·
On the Border
15,282 Posts
Thanks for the tips! Fit 4 Craigslist barrels at $15 each in the SUV.

View attachment 750526
Just rent a truck and go for it. We've done a few big runs over to the valley and around the state. It takes about 125 for the typical major, and they should be in decent shape. Random range clowns like to shoot them up, so this is a perennial chore.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts