close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

My one month exercise and diet results thus far.

Discussion in 'The Okie Corral' started by TalkToTheGlock, Jun 13, 2012.

1. TalkToTheGlock

TalkToTheGlock Zombie Hunter

Hey guys. Since I graduated from College and waiting for med school to start I decided I wanted to get back into the shape I was 7 years ago when I left high school.

All through high school I worked hard to lose weight and achieved my goal of 185lbs. I did numerous exercises including jump rope (1,000 reps/day), numerous variations of situps, pushups, running, stationary bike riding, and weight lifting. I was an absolute beast in every sense. I lost over a hundred pounds and felt like I was invincible.

Then came nursing school after I graduated high school. Slowly my exercise ethics fell to rock bottom and I began to eat unhealthy. The pounds creeped back up. I tried over the past 7 years to lose weight and failed.

Then came full blown college and biology and chemistry degree for med school. Between work and school I had no time or should I say I was lazy.

About a month ago I weighed myself. I was 326lbs. I didn't feel it and when My doctor weighed me he even said I didn't look it. I was disgusted and gathered the coconuts to transform back to what I was.

I am 6 foot tall and 25 years old. I start med school in the fall and want to be prepared. I love working out.

I decided to start dieting and using an app for my phone which I highly recommend. It's called MyFitnessPal. It set my parameters for how many calories, fat, carbs, etc and I started.

I began doing my favorite workout (jump rope) 4 times a week for 15 minutes a day (around 500-600 reps) and stayed within my calories.

After roughly a month of being on this plan, here are my results this far:

Weight:

5/15/12- 326lbs

6/13/12- 305.8

Waist size:

5/15/12- 56 inches

6/13/12- 52 inches

I've been eating a 12 inch Turkey sub from subway no cheese, no mayo or oil, extra lettuce, tomatoes, and oregano only and Andy Capps baked hot fries for lunch. For dinner I am eating a small or large grilled chicken salad with very little mozzarella cheese and no dressing.

I feel great and am starting to come back to form. The more weight I lose, the more exercise I will do. I plan on starting strength training in about two weeks.

I'm sorry for the long read but thought that others with weight problems will read this and get some motivation to take action. It's a struggle. I might get some nasty comments but that is ok. I've been through harder times and have thick skin.

I would once again highly recommend MyFitnessPal app for your smartphone. They even have a website to track your calories, exercise, and progression and it is free.

Thanks for reading and if anybody who wants to PM me and chat about their weight issues, I am open ears.

Thank you all and God bless.

2. .264 magnum

.264 magnum CLM

That's pure greatness! Keep it up.

3. 2bgop

2bgop

20lbs in a month is awesome. Hell of a job.

4. E-2-E

E-2-E Long Trail

Keep up the good work. I've lost 50# in a little over a year.

5. .264 magnum

.264 magnum CLM

Oh yea, congrats on med school too. That's a hell of an accomplishment.

6. jpa

jpa CLM

Good luck and keep up the good work.

I started hitting the gym before Thanksgiving and I've been watching my diet, especially snacking during the day. I started at 376, I'm down to 354. Pants are fitting better and I'm starting to feel the definition coming back in my muscles. My workouts have been suffering with school and taking mom for weekly doctor appts, but I generally make it to the gym 1 or 2 times per week. I know I need to go more frequently to get better results. Good luck in med school!

7. aplcr0331

aplcr0331 Compulsory Collectivisim

So no breakfast or snacks? I'm not sure I could do that. Plus how do you not starve doing the workouts with so little intake?

I'm struggling mightly right now, but excuses excuses escuses.

20lbs in a month is nice. Way to go on the weight loss and medical school. Impressive.

8. sr975j

sr975j

Wow, great progress. I am 23 years old 6' 2". I weighed 287 pounds December 15 which was the day I started my new job. I weighed myself this morning and weighed 255. I haven't changed my diet but my job is much more physical than my old one.

20 pounds in a month is awesome....I'm jealous. Keep it up

Sam

Outdoor Hub mobile, the outdoor information engine

9. k9medic

k9medic

I used the app myfitnesspal as well. I started at the end of February 2012 weighing 230lbs. I did a bit of cardio in between during the week by mostly that app helped me to see how and what to eat. I'm 204lbs now and back into 34 jeans but I have not used the app in the past 2 months.

As I said, it helped me to learn some portion control for sure!

Congrats on your loss. Keep using the app and keeping track and you continue to lose more.

10. TalkToTheGlock

TalkToTheGlock Zombie Hunter

I was never a breakfast person before I started so I guess it carries over. For a snack I like those Nature Valley fruit and nut chewy bars if I get hungry.

I should eat a a little more but I just don't have the appetite that I did have.

I lose weight quick but I expect there to be a plateau that I will have break through to go to the next level eventually and readjust my eating and exercise.

Thanks for all the support and congrats to the others that are doing or have done the same! Keep it up!

11. DScottHewitt

DScottHewitt EMT-B

Good job. Keep up the good work.

12. unit1069

unit1069

Congratulations on a great start!

I'm sure you know from your schooling and personal experience that after losing weight it's all-too-common to put it all back on. Getting weight down and keeping it down is a permanent change in lifestyle.

Best of luck to you in your personal and professional journeys.

13. jason10mm

jason10mm NRA-GOA-TSRA

Lose the hot fries. Don't eat the bread from the sub sandwich. Add in way more veggies and protein. Do more strength building exercises as muscle always burns calories. Your weight loss so far is mostly water, no way you could actually have a 1/2 pound/day fat loss, that is 1800 calories! So it will flatten out and your body will go into conservation mode soon if you don't really kick it in the ass and get aggressive. Sugar is your ENEMY! Tell yourself that at every bite.

Get a good kettlebell book (I recommend Enter the Kettlebell by Pavel) and a 16kg bell and start swinging. You can work all the muscles in a pretty short period of time and it will complement your rope jumping well.

I was in the best shape of my life in med school, so don't trick yourself into thinking that studying and long clinic rotations equals poor physical fitness. Find the undergrad gym at your university and work out there, use those co-eds for motivation! If you can read text books while on the stair master you are golden! Get up and move around between classes, sitting sedentary all day is your second biggest foe after sugar.

14. GreenDrake

GreenDrake Rip Lips

I have a post buried in here somewhere where I updated my juice fast and diet change for a 60 day run. It's not so much a fad diet as it is a change in what I ate, permanently. I researched eating right for your blood type and my A+ type is preconditioned for vegan, which is not really going to happen for me. I got a cheap Jack La Lanne juicer from Costco which I still use today and did the first 30 days of juice only, mild fruit for flavor in the mornings and basically an alcohol free bloody mary for dinner juice. The first two weeks is tough as you break your carb cravings. After that, cruising.

It has been about four months now and I am still juicing the "green machine" for breakfast and lunch, I actually really look forward to it, it's delicious. I am down almost 40lbs and have no intention of stopping. Should I cheat and have a big meal with bread and whatever I want, it doesn't change me, my body is not used to working with carbs like that I guess.

That being said, check out the video Fat, Sick and Almost Dead on youtube, it will give you some perspective as to what I basically did. Trust me, this works wonders, you feel better, sleep better and lose weight rapidly. There is no gimmick, my heartburn went away, allergies are gone and I feel awesome. I can kill it at the gym, have my juice, go on with my day. My goal is, for now, about 20 more lbs to get to my primary mark, then try for a little more.

Downside is, nothing fits, my jeans that used to fit are tremendously baggy, none of my shorts fit and my shirts are all too big....belts, I have none left that fit me. I can't complain about that all too much. I suggest you try it out, just try it, give it one month and watch what happens, the loss alone is the motivator you will get from it.

Sounds like you are on the right path, keep it up, kick bread, flours, sugars and condensed calories out of your life and you will make massive progress. Good luck to you.

15. SixDemonBag

SixDemonBag

So you're starving yourself?

16. Alcoy

Alcoy

good job.....

17. nfrangip

nfrangip

Excellent job! I agree with jason10mm about carbs and sugar. I lost over 35 lbs in the last 3 months by eating a very low carb diet.

18. sierrafast

sierrafast Coleccionista

Awesome. Keep up the great work..

19. .264 magnum

.264 magnum CLM

You'll like this. A friend and one time client is a surgeon (rotator cuff repair and related) at a very well respected, think legions of pro and collegiate athletes, medical clinic close by. He says the two best boosts for his business - ever - are kettle bell workouts and one really famous alphanumeric titled workout series on DVD.

20. sombunya

sombunya Use it up, throw it away

Excellent.

Seems like there's very little I could offer you except to echo the advice from jason10mm about the protein.

Your will power is the most commendable of all.