GlockTalk Forum banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This is kind of a weird story, surely I'm not the only one...

So my first carry gun was a keltec pf9 and it was a dream to carry at the 3 o'clock position. Extremely small, lightweight, I could barely feel it on me. I eventually found out about appendix carry and absolutely loved everything about it. I realized I could carry a bigger gun and still conceal it just as well so I upgraded to a g19...and this is where my "problem" started.

You see, I'm a hairy guy and have a lot of chest hair and belly hair. Because I carry in the appendix position, throughout my day, my gun grabs and pulls on my belly hair and it really hurts after awhile. Most people wear an undershirt while carrying but I'm not a fan of wearing one just because it's hot year-round where I live. So, in order to solve this problem, I have to shave my belly hair about once a week. Just thought I would share. The things we put ourselves through for conceal carry...it's a tough life.:ender:

·
If you're going through Hell, keep going.
32 Posts
This is kind of a weird story, surely I'm not the only one...

So my first carry gun was a keltec pf9 and it was a dream to carry at the 3 o'clock position. Extremely small, lightweight, I could barely feel it on me. I eventually found out about appendix carry and absolutely loved everything about it. I realized I could carry a bigger gun and still conceal it just as well so I upgraded to a g19...and this is where my "problem" started.

You see, I'm a hairy guy and have a lot of chest hair and belly hair. Because I carry in the appendix position, throughout my day, my gun grabs and pulls on my belly hair and it really hurts after awhile. Most people wear an undershirt while carrying but I'm not a fan of wearing one just because it's hot year-round where I live. So, in order to solve this problem, I have to shave my belly hair about once a week. Just thought I would share. The things we put ourselves through for conceal carry...it's a tough life.:ender:
I feel ya on this one, brother. Further, I am a big guy (6'3 265) so that limits my traditional carry positions for the size gun I'll consider carrying. I've gone to carrying my G21 IWB at 6 o'clock with a locally made paddle style holster. I have a feeling you live in my neck of the woods because it was 80 degrees here yesterday and the last thing I need is another layer of clothing. So far this setup is working for me. I should/could probably go with a smaller carry but this is the gun I've trained on since I came back to firearms (Level I, Level II and private instruction) so I figure "go with what you know."

Reactions: pdaddy

·
Cuhootnified Roamer
9,963 Posts

·
Registered
1,036 Posts
Switch to a merino wool t-shirt. Ultralight, like a 150gsm or so. Wear it summer, winter, whenever. Backpacking technology to the rescue.

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
A holster with a sweat guard between you and the gun helps.

I tried that option initially but the holster was too cumbersome for appendix carry. I switched to a raven vanguard and liked it so much, I was willing to cut off some hair for it lol

merino wool t-shirt
Never heard of those, I'll look into it. Thanks!

·
Registered
2,299 Posts
Duluth Trading Company Armachillo undershirts. Work fine in hot weather. Just a bad idea to get $30 undershirts greasy with gun oil.

·
In the STL
3,766 Posts
Zorn Skinny Rig works well for appendix carry

Sent from my S7 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,036 Posts
Never heard of those, I'll look into it. Thanks!
Merino is great because wicks really well, it dries relatively fast, doesn't stink (BO). A lot of people don't realize that merino is cool in summer and warm in winter. It can do both because of the properties of wool. And merino isn't your grandfather's wool, not itchy at all. Just stick with lightweight versions as mentioned.

I will say though from experience, not cheap and they wear out quicker with a gun rubbing against them. Another option if you don't try merino is some of the outdoor gear companies that make super lightweight synthetic tees or synthetic/merino blends. Patagonia capilene shirts for example. They will be much more durable. Again, for summer look for something in the 150gsm range so it's lightweight.

I wear woolly brand (Amazon or https://www.woolly.clothing) because they are 2/3 to half the price of the outdoor namebrands like smartwool, ibex, icebreaker. Much more affordable, excellent quality.

·
Registered
1,263 Posts
wear a cheap wifebeater tank top between skin and holster,they are thin and less material than an actual tshirt.Me , living in SW Florida I can't stand wearing a tshirt under a shirt also that's why I prefer a holster with a sweat guard.P.s. I'm somewhat hairy.

·
With Liberty and Justice for all.
20,894 Posts
Get a N82 pro holster.

Reactions: Aslan

·
Registered
5,818 Posts
Reactions: Bruce M
1 - 20 of 31 Posts