close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

My oldest sons birthday tomorrow!

Discussion in 'The Okie Corral' started by happy seal, Apr 7, 2010.

1. happy seal

happy seal

[​IMG]

He is gonna be psyched!

2. bocephus549

bocephus549 Bo Knows.......

That will be one happy kid!!!

3. eaglesfan55

eaglesfan55 (>'-')>

i was gona say strippers and beer but judging by the size of that bike youd be breaking a law or two......:whistling:

4. happy seal

happy seal

Yup, no strippers. We watched little rascals last week and he said he wants to join the "He man women haters club" :whistling:
    He is only nine. give him the bike tonight.

5. HerrGlock

HerrGlock Scouts Out CLM

Don't blink. He'll be out of the house and on his own if you do :)

Enjoy!

6. Paul_J

Paul_J

You are one of the coolest dad's in the world!

Do you have a bike to ride with him?

Last edited: Apr 8, 2010
  7. M&P Shooter

M&P Shooter Metal Member

That's a frigging awesome present for a 9 year old boy:supergrin:

8. happy seal

happy seal

[​IMG]

sure do. I grew up riding and didn't want my kids to miss out. I still remember my 7th birthday when I got my Honda 50. I still got that whole day in my head and in color :rofl:. I will never forget how happy I was and how much riding meant to me all my life. responsiblity, respect for the land and people near me ETC!!!

9. ithaca_deerslayer

ithaca_deerslayer

How did you get all that from riding?

Bikes are noisy, smelly, and cut ruts in the ground. Many bikers cut trails across other people's property without asking permission.

Horses, on the other hand, smell good, leave foot prints in grass, and are quiet. You can slip silently through the woods and the land owner doesn't even know you are there :rofl:

10. Critias

Critias Freelancer CLM

Looks like dad's gonna be pretty popular, really soon. Great lookin' gift!

...you, uhh, lookin' to adopt?

11. ithaca_deerslayer

ithaca_deerslayer

My son is 4, and has neighbor kids that are 9-12 who ride. I let them ride across my property (not all over it).

Neighbor has a go-cart for sale. I'm thinking no. Don't want it. I have him riding/driving tractors. Maybe some day I'll get a quad.

I've had a couple road bikes and might get one again.

But I'm not sure if I want to get him a dirt bike. He hasn't asked, but he might when he's 9.

Horses are more dangerous than motorcycles. Yet, I'd rather he went with horses. It will be interesting to see what happens.

He can't ride his bicycle yet, and is still enjoying his tricycle. But I know he will soon learn the bike, then want a motorcycle when he sees those big kids out riding theirs.

I don't know why I lean against it. Maybe because I see those neighbor kids just going around and around and around. All just seems so mindless, like a video game. At least with a horse, you have to understand the animal, learn how to ride (more skill than a motorcycle), and then always be in constant respect for the animal. Plus you get great quiet time in the woods, and can sneak up on deer.

Motorcycles are a LOT easier to have, less expensive, less to take care of, and a better use of barn space :rofl:

12. ithaca_deerslayer

ithaca_deerslayer

And by the way, that Yahmaha 80 is a nice looking bike for the kid :)

13. slowr1der

slowr1der

Nice choice for a gift. I'm sure he will love it. I know I sure loved bikes when I was younger. Actually, I still do I just don't have time to ride nearly as much. Glad to see another DRZ owner on the forum too. I have a DRZ 400 but mine isn't the dual sport model. Since I can't ride it on the road I haven't had time to ride it much lately. I've been sticking to the street bike and commuting on it mostly.

14. slowr1der

slowr1der

While they may be less expensive than a horse they are usually pretty expensive still to maintain and keep up.

15. happy seal

happy seal

slow rider, you got an SM400? fun.
    Itahaca, the bike vs horse debate has been around for a long time. I prefer not to go there. +'s and -'s for both!

I do have a Ithaca x15 lightning .22LR. Had it for 30+ years. :supergrin:

16. ithaca_deerslayer

ithaca_deerslayer

Sorry, wasn't really trying to derail your thread. Was more just thinking out loud about it.

Had an Easter gathering, all the kids, activities. Horses getting winter hair brushed off. Motorcycles getting dusted off. Snow was just about melted.

Everyone was getting ready to ride something!

Your son will no doubt be happy with the present you got him :)

17. happy seal

happy seal

Nope, I didn't take it that way. your fine! I do know that motorcycles can cause issues with different people. I have property for him to ride on without getting in trouble and I will teach him about property lines, private property, what to do when he meets a horse in the trail etc!!! Horses are great but truthfully I am scared of them. I dont know how to control a horse but a bike I can. I was in Va once and my friends paid to go horse riding. My horse was a pain in the butt. It wouldn't do anything but what the other horses did. when we got to a beach section the other horses took off and mine followed. my saddle was not adjusted properly and I was hanging on for my life. No fun at all. I am sure if, if, and if it could be fun.

18. ithaca_deerslayer

ithaca_deerslayer

Decades ago...

I used to horseback ride a lot of hours, a lot of miles, all over the county.

Got a new girlfriend who rode even more than I did, and she had a guy friend she rode with. They rode over to my place, and we went riding together.

Me and my horse were buddies. They thought it would be funny to get on either side of me and then suddenly yell and gallop off, probably thinking I'd end up like you on that horse at the beach.

Well, my horse just kept calmly walking along. They got out about 400 yards, then turned around and came back, shocked.

"Nice try, guys" :)

So, believe me, I understand the general appeal of motorcycles. Takes a lot to get a horse you can really trust.

Last edited: Apr 8, 2010
  19. community

community Member

20. happy seal

happy seal

thanks for the postive reinforcement. We got home from baseball tonight and I had snuck the bike on the back porch. I then told my son to pick up his stuff off the porch. well he turned the corner and took one step up and his face went blank= priceless. :wavey: