My old doggy crossed the rainbow bridge this morning

Discussion in 'Woof Memorial Critter's Corner' started by mike1969, Sep 20, 2007.

1. mike1969

mike1969 NRA&GOA

Rest in Peace my old, old friend.

At 8:24am this morning my old doggy crossed the rainbow bridge and went to the heavenly meadows. He was part of my life for the last 13 years. The house is going to be so quiet, Im going to miss him barking at me for the Milkbones. Im going to miss the pads of his feet walking across the floor. Im going to miss the click clack of his claws when they got to long and needed to be cut. Im going to miss the rides to the beach, parks, and friend houses that had cook-outs and all the times he was invited. Im going to miss him drinking my beer, but his beer had to be soaked in bread!! Im going to miss him trying to steal french fries, those and bread were his 2 favorite people foods. The last few house moves the milkbones have always been on top of the fridge. He always would look up at them, practically drooling when he would look at them. He was one of those dogs who was always happy, even when would do something like get into the garbage. Im probably going to go mental for a few days.

Back in July he was diagnosed with cancer. He developed a spot on his leg, that just kept getting bigger and bigger. It wasnt getting anybetter and we took the final ride to the vets office this morning. It was the hardest thing I ever had to do.

He is now in a better place, with no pain and suffering. Now he can run like he used to. He can shed hair everywhere and not have to worry about the vacuum cleaner tryinh to attack him. He can get brushings once a day and make moany noises all he wants. Most of all, he is going to get the heavenly Milkbones, the ones covered in doggy chocolate. He was also a swimmer, so got something to tell up above, watch out for the swimming pools!!! He might be in them........

2. mike1969

mike1969 NRA&GOA

The milkbone stare

3. Joebagadonuts

Joebagadonuts

Sorry for your loss. Thanks for sharing the memories.

4. Samson

Samson

Very sorry for your loss. I know it's a difficult time.

5. pesticidal

pesticidal Eh? CLM

What a great looking dog. Sorry for your loss....

6. rottglocken

rottglocken

I can feel for you. We lost our nearly 10 y.o. female Rottweiler to what sounds like the same cancer (osteosarcoma) back in June. It was hard to watch, but we at least had a few good months with her before she passed on.

I'd like to say it gets better/easier, but I don't know yet.

7. Chaos

Chaos S.n.a.f.u.

Mike,

I am sorry to hijack your thread, but I popped in here to post that I lost my beautiful old lady today too.
    I know how you feel...and I am not taking it as well as I thought I would.
    She had back leg problems for a while now, but was dealing ok, and was still happy. Came home yesterday and she was off balance. Took her to the vet yesterday, and they said it was pinched nerves and she would have to stay there for 3 days. Today they called and said she had a maor stroke last night, and I had to make the hardest (and yet only possible) decision I have had to make.
    I know that we gave her the best life a dog could have though, and she gave us much more.
    She was happy, and I'm not quite sure what i will do without her.
    I pray that our 2 dogs are romping around somewhere together, and waiting for the day that we will join them over the Rainbow bridge.
    RIP Kayla, and keep Mike's doggy company until we meet again.

- B -
    (I'm crying as i type this)

8. mike1969

mike1969 NRA&GOA

Chaos,
    Sorry about your beautiful old lady.

RIP Pretty Boy, and Chaos' dog Kayla....until we all met again, my old friend.

9. mike1969

mike1969 NRA&GOA

I just noticed something about that first pic I put here eariler today. Theres an orb next to him. I think I moved in December of 2004, and that was probably Januray 1, 2005??

All this time, Ive never noticed the orb. Im probably going to have that pic framed. With the picture untouched, and with the orb

10. MrsKitty

MrsKitty

Mike, and you too Choas, I am sorry for your losses. I've been there before and know how you feel. We have four kitties now and I don't want to even think about making that last trip for one of them :hugs:

It strikes me that we loose so many pets. I know out of 70K members, we have to have a lot of furbabies but it is just so many :sad:

11. DennisH

DennisH FFG-60

Wow! I had to put our 12 y/o blonde lab-golden retriever mix "Emma" down this morning at almost the same time. 9am we said good-bye. We've been treating her since March for congestive heart failure, and she finally got to the point where each breath was a chore, she was terminally restless (up, down, up, down) trying to get a clear airway to breathe, among other things. She was such a wonderful dog. We got her while I was stationed in Newport, RI from a shelter in Fall River, MA. She had been terribly abused, but because she was an older dog (we think she was 3-4 at the time) nobody wanted her. Everybody wanted puppies. A co-worker of my wife volunteered at the shelter and implored somebody to at least look at her. My wife went to look and was immediately taken by her. That was in May 2000. We initially got her as a companion to our black lab, who needed a buddy. Since then they have both had the best life a dog could ask for, and in return they have given us countless laughs, cuddles, a few accidents, and unconditional love. I've been in combat on several occasions, and the decisions I had to make then were a no-brainer. Deciding to put this lovely dog down just tore me up, but it would have been selfish of us to keep her hanging on just for our sake. Our vet is a wonderful lady and took me in early before regular business hours. Emma went peacefully to sleep and looked very good, even in death. I buried her in my yard (I have an acre) underneath a tree I planted in memory of my father, who died in June 2006. He always favored Emma over our other two dogs, because she was so gentle with him in his frail condition. We just figured that Dad wanted Emma to be with him, so she's now nourishing his tree. I've been self-medicating with some C2H5OH (alcohol) today, but only in salute to this fine old girl. Rest easy, Emma, we'll see each other again someday.:hearts: :hearts: :hearts: :hearts:

12. Way2SSlow

Way2SSlow Guest

Sorry to hear about your loss. We all know how hard it is to lose a pet. I'm 26 yrs old and only 1 month in all those years was spent without a dog. Please feel free to use my email or PM me if you need a shoulder.

13. mike1969

mike1969 NRA&GOA

So sorry Dennis.

RIP Pretty Boy, Kayla, And Emma.

Heres a story:

In tribute to my old one, a few hours ago, I went and bought some beer, some bread, and took a bowl outside. I put the bread in there, poured the beer in the bowl. Im going to drink the rest of them. The beer and the bread was a thing I used to do for him, because he liked to drink flat beer. Well the bread would soak up the bubbles and he would slurp it nonstop until there was none left. He then would find a spot somewhere and loud out a huge doggy belch.

The french fries were a thing that started out when I lived in this little apartment. I was cooking them one day and I turned around and he taken the bag that had the frozen ones in it, and he stole the frozen fries!!!!! So after that if I ever had extra french fries he got 'em...

14. ppk/sfan

ppk/sfan Guest

RIP to those who have lost animals lately. Remember the good times. Remember your best friend is now no longer in pain and is running free.

15. marley

marley 17-26-32

So sorry for your loss. I lost marley in dec after 13 years 5 months and 2 days. There are hard days to come. You do move on but you never get over it. I still get misty over the golden who I lost back in 86. M x wife lost the dog we had together on the 8th. That happened to be the same day I got JC aka the pup in black.... The circle of life. I have been lost with out the job. patrick

16. Barcroft

Barcroft

Been there, done that. It's very hard to do, but I know that I had to think of Midget first.
    We had him for nearly 20 years.
    Wonderful dog.
    Be strong, be well...

17. saf-t-cab

saf-t-cab

Mine went away to chase cloud rabbits on Sep. 19
    His name was Hubert. He was an Irish Setter.
    Miss him every day.

18. Tilley

Tilley Man of Steel

19. IdahoGunNut

IdahoGunNut Guest

I am so sorry to hear of your loss. I had to put two of my babies to sleep last year due to cancer.... my world came to a halt big time!

Rest in the knowledge that your buddy is waiting for you when your time comes. In the mean time there are so many buddies out there waiting for a good home... check with the humaine society and see if you can find one that is waiting to fill that hole in your heart!

20. goldenlight

goldenlight

It is a very sad fact that we are destined to outlive the furry companions who add so much to our lives.

He sounds like he was everything a good dog should have been.

I'm so very sorry he was taken away before his got to live his full life out.

That last trip to the vet is about the hardest thing in the world to do, even though you know it's the right thing to to, to ease the suffering of your faithful companion.

I also believe in the Bridge.

There are two cats waiting for me there.

I am looking forward to seeing them again.:wavey: