Glock Forum - GlockTalk banner
1 - 20 of 43 Posts

·
Registered
1,196 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Here we go…
I went and did my own testing to the best of my ability. NOT SCIENTIFIC!!! I could not find an optimal rest situation, and I did take the best three shots out of a five shot group. I know I was throwing some flyers. At 25 yards it doesn’t take much of a twitch to throw something 3 inches off to the left from the rest of of the group. So PLEASE take everything with a grain of salt. But, it’s better than a poke in the eye with a sharp stick! All tests were done the same. All weights Are 115 grains except for the critical duty +p at 135.

G26.4 25 yard groups average with Blazer brass was 2.42 inches. (This exact test done 2x. 2.21 and 2.63) This is not hard to believe considering pretty much everything I’ve read says about 2 1/2 inches with G26 Gen 3 and 4 Pistols is Common. This was the only round tested in the GEN 4 .

G26.5 25 yard groups average with Blazer brass wise 1.93 inches. Exact same around as above.
G26.5 Fiocchi 1.07 ( all the tests we’re done the same )
G26.5 federal brass 2.65
G26.5 critical duty +p 135gr. 1.92 inches

G26.5 average for all for types of ammunition tested at 25 yards = 1.89”

Again, take it with a grain of salt, but it’s at least something to look at. It’s interesting to note also, the consistency and low range of variation with the different loads tested in the GEN five.

Let the debate begin…

·
Registered
3,140 Posts
Honestly meaningless. You can't pic the best three shots and ignore the others. You can't just fire one type of ammo out of the gen4 and call it quits yet compare it to three other types out of the gen5. I also am assuming maybe you did it different days? Only reason I can figure you only fired one type of ammo out of the gen4? Also needs to be done off a rock solid benched rest. Only valid conclusion is that is pretty decent shooting for 25 yards.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

·
Registered
11,688 Posts
Honestly meaningless. You can't pic the best three shots and ignore the others. You can't just fire one type of ammo out of the gen4 and call it quits yet compare it to three other types out of the gen5. I also am assuming maybe you did it different days? Only reason I can figure you only fired one type of ammo out of the gen4? Also needs to be done off a rock solid benched rest. Only valid conclusion is that is pretty decent shooting for 25 yards.

What he said, measure all 5 rounds for your group and report back.

·
On the day of your birth death began stalking you
9,819 Posts
Here we go…
I went and did my own testing to the best of my ability. NOT SCIENTIFIC!!! I could not find an optimal rest situation, and I did take the best three shots out of a five shot group. I know I was throwing some flyers. At 25 yards it doesn’t take much of a twitch to throw something 3 inches off to the left from the rest of of the group. So PLEASE take everything with a grain of salt. But, it’s better than a poke in the eye with a sharp stick! All tests were done the same. All weights Are 115 grains except for the critical duty +p at 135.

G26.4 25 yard groups average with Blazer brass was 2.42 inches. (This exact test done 2x. 2.21 and 2.63) This is not hard to believe considering pretty much everything I’ve read says about 2 1/2 inches with G26 Gen 3 and 4 Pistols is Common. This was the only round tested in the GEN 4 .

G26.5 25 yard groups average with Blazer brass wise 1.93 inches. Exact same around as above.
G26.5 federal brass 2.65

Again, take it with a grain of salt, but it’s at least something to look at. It’s interesting to note also, the consistency and low range of variation with the different loads tested in the GEN five.

Let the debate begin…
Good report thanks

·
Registered
5,765 Posts
Now do the test again with the barrels swapped.

Or better yet, do the test four times and have a friend blind swap the barrels so you don’t know which you are shooting.

That might give information on barrel accuracy vs. smoother trigger contribution.

Because if the barrel doesn’t wind up making a difference, you might have similar improvement with an aftermarket Gen4 trigger.

·
Registered
4,886 Posts
This is why I like 10 shot groups. It gives you a realistic cone of fire and you can throw out one shot guilt-free; chock it up to statistical noise. Deff good to have some hard numbers though, I will try to get out and do some serious testing with my G45 soon.

I like best 9 out of 10 as a good data point personally, because I always manage to throw one too!

Only once in a blue moon will all 10 be mostly free of human error

·
Registered
1,111 Posts
Here we go…

G26.5 federal brass 2.65

Let the debate begin…
Good shooting.

As I mentioned in your other thread, my G43 with new marksman barrel is more accurate with soft bullet ammo such as Brass Blazer than my gen 3/4 G26's easily under 2" @ 25 yds.
IMO this is from the extra little land added in marksman barrel. The added land is sharper more like traditional cut rifling and grips bullet better than poly only rifling of older gen Glock barrels.

When shooting true jacketed bullets such as xtp's I can get much better groups from either G26 than from G43 .

·
Registered
32,473 Posts
So maybe a 1/2" difference between gen 4 and 5 at 25 yards from a rest. Assuming everything was perfect. For all practical purposes it's a difference not even worth worrying about.

Reactions: RKLOMP

·
Registered
360 Posts
My Gen 5 does print better groups than my Gen 4, but nothing to get excited about or make a life treating point about, the 5 is just more accurate in my Gen 5 19 and 17...

·
Registered
33,221 Posts

I agree.

Good shooting. But picking the best 3 out of a 5 shot group... is kinda far out there :)

·
Registered
4,886 Posts
Brought the Gen 3 and Gen 5 out after work today. My marksmanship was so abysmal that I became triggered and had to seek a safe space. I called one flier, and I actually blinked on one :p
I need to get back to practicing slowfire accuracy. Anyway, FWIW here is some of that Blazer 115gr Black Friday ammo:

The Gen 5 consistently shot bad compared to the Gen 3, but I do have a lighter trigger in the Gen 3. Also a lot more used to the Gen 3. At the end of the session, I got a surprising result. My science experiment ultra creme puff load printed much tighter from the G45 than the Gen 3. However, it would only feed in the G45 with a death grip bedded into the sandbag.

Also grouped some WWB and Remington, but mostly just embarrassing targets. This inspires me to get back to working on tight rested and offhand groups instead of just hosing steel all the time.

·
Registered
11,688 Posts
Meeseeks, that last target shooting the G45 is good shooting.
I could do that with my Gen 4 G34 on a good day when I was still in my 60's. My best 17 round groups at 25 yards then were approximately 4.5"
Being in my 70's with trembling hands, poor balance and vision my decent slow fire shooting is long gone. Never thought I would see this happen so enjoy while you can.

·
Registered
2,420 Posts
es350 - Marksman barrel in a 43? Does Glock offer that barrel or is that the barrel that comes in a stock 43? Just curious; I've got two of the 43s and they seem to shoot fine in IDPA matches with a Vickers Tango Down +2 mag extension in order to qualify for the CCP division.

Marksman barrel, eh.

1 - 20 of 43 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.