My Nov 5, 05 (archery kill)

Discussion in 'Hunting, Fishing & Camping' started by f1b32oPTic, Nov 6, 2005.

1. f1b32oPTic

f1b32oPTic R4d104c71v3

had an awesome hunt on state gamelands this past saturday. at the last moment i decided to bowhunt and was glad i did.
    this is my 3rd deer of the season and now the freezer is full as well as friends and family.

my hunt started out saturday morning with great weather. i was in my stand by 6:00am and it was still dark. about 7am i had this spike walk in on me and i waited for my 30 yard shot as he passed behind some pines. i caught him right behind the shoulder angling hard to me. he staggered sideways and bolted back in the direction he came in and i never heard him crash.

i waited 2 hours in my stand and when the sun was full up and i started hearing other hunters in the woods i decided to start tracking before someone else claimed my deer.

i jumped him 200 yards away from where i had shot him and had to place the coup-de-grace with a neck shot. he went down and fell into the creek from the bank. this picture was taken when i had just recovered him and pulled him out. i will probably archery hunt the remainder of our season and have 3 more tags to fill.

his tarsals were black and wet and it seems that the rut is in full effect now. ;Y

2. SouthTexasrep

SouthTexasrep

I've been thinking about trying to get into bow hunting. what kind of bow is that in the pic?

3. f1b32oPTic

f1b32oPTic R4d104c71v3

it is a 2004 bowtech extreme vft with 60lb. limbs on it
    i am shooting 2315 easton XX78 shafts at 28" with 5" feather fletchings with a 4 degree helical twist.

i was shooting 100 grain rocket steelhead mechanicals but am planning on switching to 100gr. 4 blade muzzy's.

bowhunting gives more adrenaline rush than rifle hunting for me and i really enjoy it more

here is a pic of where i hunted that morning, as you can see it was beautiful out

4. SouthTexasrep

SouthTexasrep

thanks, that place is beautiful. last night i got to shoot a bow for the first time. Hoyt(sp?) Intruder with a 65 pound drawback. 1st shot, high and to the left by about 6 inches both ways. 2nd shot, bullseye and through our target. The shots were at about 20 yards and I liked the extra work involved in a shot. How much does a good bow run?

5. f1b32oPTic

f1b32oPTic R4d104c71v3

you can get a good bow(no accesories) for about $300

i paid almost $600 for my bowtech and added another $300 worth of accesories and arrows for it. basically its the same price as a gun!

6. txgolfer45

txgolfer45

Congrats on the deer with a bow. That will be my next challenge. I'll be shopping for a bow in the off season.

Scott

7. noway

noway

Nice job and a nice spike ;)

hey where the heck is mopar country at?

8. f1b32oPTic

f1b32oPTic R4d104c71v3

thanks,

im hunting in NC.

9. punkture

punkture

if you ever get a chance to shoot a recurve or longbow, i say give it a shot. i started out on a compound (that was given to me, so i was lucky to start with a free bow) with the intent to eventually move to a recurve so i never used sights or a release. to each his own, but i get more personal satisfaction out of a traditional bow. now my compound serves me well for bowfishing!