My Nov 1, 05 6pt. Buck

Discussion in 'Hunting, Fishing & Camping' started by f1b32oPTic, Nov 2, 2005.

1. f1b32oPTic

f1b32oPTic R4d104c71v3

i was hunting state game lands last evening and shot this one on a ridge with my .308

it was about 5pm and overcast when i noticed him about 130 yards away working his way up the ridge. i had my scope cranked down to 2.5x thinking that they were going to appear right up on me from the down hill side of the ridge that is very thick where i was setup. 4x would have been better but everything worked out alright. when i cleaned him, he was chock full of acorns all the way from his mouth to his stomach and now i have no doubt what acorns they are keying in on now since there are several plentiful varieties where i hunt.

he was quartering toward me hard and i pinned him right behind his left shoulder and took out both lungs before the bullet exited at the back end of his ribcage.

the good thing is that both front shoulders were in great condition since the bullet hit the ribcage just behind. i filled a 48qt. cooler up with both shoulders, hams, backstraps, sirloins and tenderloins.

i also want to congratulate everybody who has been posting their 2005 season results. its great to see everybody doing well;Y

2. f1b32oPTic

f1b32oPTic R4d104c71v3

my grocery getter

3. noway

noway

1st off nice deer. What's your grocery getter setup and what did you use?

4. f1b32oPTic

f1b32oPTic R4d104c71v3

its a remmy 700LTR in .308 with a bushnell 4200 (2.5x-10x)scope.

i was using cheap old $12 a box winchester super-x 150 grain. softpoints. i like the remington corelokt bullets better but i save the winny brass for reloads.

next season ill probably be using remington corelokts loaded into the winchester brass just to change it up a bit.

5. Hummer

Hummer Big Member

Congratulations on the buck, he should make some very good dinners. Some roasted acorns as an embellishment wuld be fitting.

I like the high lung shot just behind the shoulder because there's no meat wasted. But you have to be prepared to do some tracking, many lung shot deer and elk will travel some distance before dropping. I remember one mulie buck that ran uphill about 225 yards even with a hole through his heart and lungs. Then there was a cow elk that ran 330 yards through the timber with only a few drops of blood here and there to track it. This one ran past me at 33 yards when I hit her with a 220gr. roundnose Nosler from my .30-06. She was also heart and lung shot and the exit wound was big as my fist, go figure. I think if they see you they are more likely to run. It's amazing how tough those wild critters can be.

Hummer

6. f1b32oPTic

f1b32oPTic R4d104c71v3

thanks

yeah, the shot placement worked out well, the first deer i shot this season was nearly broadside but still quartering away a few degrees and i lost a front shoulder because when it exited it hit the blade and really damaged the meat.

about the acorns, its funny because i was discussing forage with a co-worker the other day and he was telling me about the prefered acorns. where i hunt there is atleast 4 different oak trees that are all dropping right now and have been heavily for the past week. they were all the large white oak acorns and not the smaller red oak or water oak acorns. the co-worker was saying that they like the white oak acorns better because they had less tanic acid in them than the other ones.

7. ithaca_deerslayer

ithaca_deerslayer

Good job, what was the distance by time you shot him?

8. f1b32oPTic

f1b32oPTic R4d104c71v3

about 130 yards,

luckily the woods are sparse and mature on the ridge top but really thick and tangled at the base of the ridge. there is a creek that runs parallel to the ridge base that makes it really thick down there. it also helped that i was atleast 20 feet up a 18" pine. when i looked at him in the scope on 2.5x he was pretty small but i picked him up quickly because my field of view at that distance was huge. the deer was moving slowly up the ridge pausing every now and then to vacuum up acorns and thats when i shot. it was also over my good side of the stand and i was braced against the tree with my elbows on the arm rails.

after the shot the deer jumped straight up and ran hunched for about 60 yards and fell leaving an intese blood trail.

i used to let them close in on me a bit more but i have found the deer travelling this ridge to be unpredictable. sometimes they just break off the main trail and walk down into the tangle without any indication. they will also appear on the ridge from the basin as well. last thursday i could have shot a decent one that was definately on the way toward me after hitting the grunt when it just broke off its line and went into the tangle on the opposite side. i also had another opportunity that morning on another one but it was moving at a trot with its nose pegged to the ground at about 80 yards out.

9. CanyonMan

CanyonMan In The Saddle

f1b32oPTic,

First off.... Congrats on your buck man!

Second, let me ask you something here. You said that scope is a Bushnell 4200, i am assuming it is the 4200 "Elite?"

If so, let me know how old it is, and if it has "stayed in tune," for ya please.

The reason i ask is, i have bought two bushnell 3200 elite's this year, (not enough cash for the 400.00 + expencive jobs), and 'Bushnell assured me,' that the 3200 elite, would hold up under even a 375 H&H Mag. Well, as i said, i have had two already, that i put on 'one of my 7 rem mags,' ( a new one), and they "are not" holding up. I cannot tell you the major frustration it caused. They, (bushnell), told me to send the 3200 in and they would trade me for the 4200 Elite, but i don't even want to do this, if it won't hold up on the 7 mag.

I'd appreciate anything you got there Hoss, concerning this scope. ;)

Usually a good Leupold, but this year, and on this 'new' gun, i only had the $200.00 for the 3200 elite.

Thanks!

CanyonMan

10. f1b32oPTic

f1b32oPTic R4d104c71v3

mine is an elite 4200 i bought about 5 years ago. i shoot around 150 rounds through it a month and it holds POI perfectly. the 4200 is alot nicer than the 3200's in alot of ways and is worth the $200 above the 3200 price.

they are both one piece body tubes but the 3200 uses a modular saddle that sits on top of the body tube. the 4200 has a true one piece body tube with a forged turret saddle. the body tube is titanium alloy on the 4200's and aluminum on the 3200's. the 4200's are rated to 10,000 rounds of .375 H&H but the 3200's are rated only to 1000 rounds of .375 H&H. in my opinion the difference is huge between the models.

heck if they are going to upgrade you for free, id atleast i give it a chance.

i also really like the zeiss conquests.

11. devilboy

devilboy

nice buck. I hear you on the freezer getting fulled. Here is one I shot last week using a 308. my dad just gave me. Dressed out 165 / 8 pointer. shot 9:20 Am upstate NY (near Lake George). Shot him exact spot where I took a doe weeks earlier w/ muzzleloader. Best for me. may never get another one like this again.

J

12. f1b32oPTic

f1b32oPTic R4d104c71v3

nice buck devilboy ;c

here is another pic of mine from the gambrel

13. GeorgiaGlockMan

GeorgiaGlockMan Aggie in Exile.

I know what you mean.

I finally took a shot at a deer this year after letting a dozen or so pass. I told myself I was going to harvest the next doe that presented a decent shot.

A smallish doe quartering away from me and moving at a slow trot.

I miss-judged how fast she was moving and nailed the showing shoulder. The 30-06 remmington 180gr corelock exploded when hitting the shoulder. Both shoulders were a total loss and there was a football sized exit wound.

A little dissapointed that so much meat was wasted, but very happy about the harvest.

I processed and cubed the remaining meat for casseroles and chilli.

I can't wait for this weekend. Just over the hill in the pine forest bucks could be heard chasing and grunting at does all day long.

It is just a matter of time before the nice 8pntr I've been hunting comes to the creek for a drink during daylight hours. After I take him, it is back to bow hunting for the rest of the season.

Woo-hoo the rut is on in Ga.

f1b32oPTic nice deer. Glad that you made a great shot and a clean kill.

14. devilboy

devilboy

Hey f1b32oPTic, ditty on your buck, what did it dress out at? I am off to NH tomorrow to get ready for opening day wed. - fri. Hopefully I will have as good chance as I did in NY.

Georgiaglock, you know you have to watch those shots. too bad about the shoulders on a nice doe she would be very tasty. My cousin shot a nice big 4 pointer in NY 3 weeks ago for muzzleloading, left a ton of blood and then clotted up and no trail. we tracked and looked all day and could not find it. 4 days later it turned rifle season and we hunting the farm where he shot it and later that the one of the workers on the farm wound up shooting a wounded deer in the front fields. well, it turned out it was the buck my cousin shot at days before. upon examination we found he shot it in the rear quarter. the worst part of it the worker that shot it his first shot blew out the other hind quarter and his shot that killed it the next one blew out the shoulders. There was no meat left to this poor buck. although he was only a 4 pointer he was a good 150 maybe dressed out. Both my cousin and I were offered the deer and declined. nothinhg left to it but at least he didn't die in the woods and become coyote dinner.

I have been fortunate w/ both my deer that I didn't destroy any meat w/ my shots.

good to hear other hunting stories and see pics of other bucks. good luck gents.

J

15. f1b32oPTic

f1b32oPTic R4d104c71v3

im not sure, i dont ever weigh them, just size them up and shoot em.

what i do know is that there is no light coming out of the freezer now and ive been eating venison for the past 3 weeks;f

good luck on opening day;c ;c ;c the rut should be peaking real soon

16. devilboy

devilboy

I like that about the freezer. Mine was full but I too have too been eating venison for 3 weeks. I love it. so many ways to make meals out of venison. I still have not picked up my buck. I will have to give some meat away. If I get one this weekend I most likely will give it to my buddy if he doesn't get one. I realy want a bear. that would make my season.

Ya, I think the rut is getting realy in the groove now. I hope we have some nice weather to round out the few days.

take care and let you guys know how I did.

J