Glock Forum - GlockTalk banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
803 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Yesterday, I was with my 9yr old niece. When she spotted my CCW on the hip, she asked "why do you have a gun? To kill people? Guns are scary." :faint:

Her folks are antis, her school is teaching her that "guns = bad." I think the odds are stacked up beyond my reach. What to do?

·
Cajunator®
38,164 Posts
Buy her a 10/22 and a few thousand rounds of ammo, then take her to the range.

I hate Ruger, but I love the 10/22, though I prefer it as a 30/22.

·
κολασμένος
18,718 Posts
"made" by a 9 year old? Time to hang it up man.

:supergrin:

With anti parents not much you can do.

·
Timber Baron
4,157 Posts
Explain that you love your wife and kids(if have any) so much, that you are willing and prepared to go to great lengths to protect them. Guns are for saving lives. Take her to the range a few times until she's old enough to reason and then explain it to her through logical reasoning, but don't wait too long or the parents will remove all logic from her.

·
Registered
168 Posts
Talk to her responsibly, and as an "adult," although with much simpler arguments. Parents and teachers will always treat children as children, so if you talk to her about things in a completely different manner, you will get a lot more progress than you think.

Kids are capable of much more than we give them credit for.

·
Registered
4,472 Posts
I hate to say it, but short of attacking and harming someone it is hard to cure most anti-firearm tendencies.

·
Cajunator®
38,164 Posts
I hate to say it, but short of attacking and harming someone it is hard to cure most anti-firearm tendencies.
Lots of people in my family are inundated with the "guns are bad" crap every day.

It takes a little time and money, but I take them to the range when I can. They find what they like, and they find that they also like the idea that they can repel a home invasion with a simple tool.

Harder with kids, but the .22 rifles and pistols are so much fun for them. Give 'em good sights or a scope. I prefer the tech-sights on a 10/22. The kids often score better with the peeps than they do with a scope.

·
Registered
803 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·

:supergrin:

With anti parents not much you can do.

I put way less effort in concealing when I'm just hanging around the house. But you'd be surprised at how perceptive kids can be.

Back on topic, I've made several attempts to get her and her younger brother out to the range, each time their folks would refuse, saying it could damage their hearings, they are too young, etc.

Ironically, the kid is very into archery, which I know jack***** about.

·
Registered
2,873 Posts
Take her to the range a few times until she's old enough to reason and then explain it to her through logical reasoning, but don't wait too long or the parents will remove all logic from her.
Would you think it was 'ok' if some anti-gun family member of yours decided to involve himself in the way to you raise your child and that he can teach your child that you, the parent, are dead wrong and that guns are really bad?

·
Timber Baron
4,157 Posts
Would you think it was 'ok' if some anti-gun family member of yours decided to involve himself in the way to you raise your child and that he can teach your child that you, the parent, are dead wrong and that guns are really bad?
Butbutbut!!!! Guns are neither bad nor good.

We can't really play hardball with someone else's 9 year old on why guns are neither bad nor good. I guess just

·
Registered
274 Posts
Has she heard about the historical stories of the guy who goes into a restaurant in Texas and shoots 17 people? One law abiding citezen could have saved all of those mommys and daddys. etc.

Plus, the logical thinking approach. She's "smart" just ask her. Guns are inanimate objects. It takes a bad person to do a bad thing. etc.

She needs to learn that just because a person is a teacher doesn't mean they know everything. I learned this from my dad early on in life. He taught high school for over 35yrs. He told me to always question my teachers and to realise that they are people too. Everybody has opinions and everyone makes mistakes.

Mark

·
Cajunator®
38,164 Posts
Has she heard about the historical stories of the guy who goes into a restaurant in Texas and shoots 17 people? One law abiding citezen could have saved all of those mommys and daddys. etc.

Plus, the logical thinking approach. She's "smart" just ask her. Guns are inanimate objects. It takes a bad person to do a bad thing. etc.

She needs to learn that just because a person is a teacher doesn't mean they know everything. I learned this from my dad early on in life. He taught high school for over 35yrs. He told me to always question my teachers and to realise that they are people too. Everybody has opinions and everyone makes mistakes.

Mark
My wife tutors my kids and our nieces and nephews (even a couple of cousins).

Everyone was stuck yesterday on a fact that she'd provided. I provided the truth, and the whole house was in shock.

Sorry, your teachers and tutors aren't always giving you accurate information. Even when they're my most adored person on the planet, they're still not always right.

·
back again
2,270 Posts
Pretty darn good point there. Respect the parent-child relationship. If the parents will go to the range with you, that's where you start. If they refuse the invitation...you can't win 'em all.

·
Registered
45,279 Posts
explain to her why you have a gun, but at the same time avoid to 'butt-in' on the way her parents brings her up.
^^^^^^^^^this...

Added later: My second oldest child does not like guns....

She called last year and asked me if I would take her daughter shooting at the range.

I tried, the range said she would have to have a DNR gun safety certificate, she does not. She will not take the DNR course because it dwells on hunting and requires the kid to learn how to gut a deer.

We're talking about a 13 year old girl that loves animals.

·
Registered
997 Posts
Buy her a 10/22 and a few thousand rounds of ammo, then take her to the range.

I hate Ruger, but I love the 10/22, though I prefer it as a 30/22.
Talk to her responsibly, and as an "adult," although with much simpler arguments. Parents and teachers will always treat children as children, so if you talk to her about things in a completely different manner, you will get a lot more progress than you think.

Kids are capable of much more than we give them credit for.
While not 100% on topic; These two post reflect the exact route my wife and I are taking with our 9 year old daughter. She's come a long way and is asking when she can go to the range with her 10/22 she got for Christmas.

·
Banned
5,471 Posts
If you want to continue to have a relationship with your niece just let it go.

·
Registered
2,709 Posts
With this 9 year old, I would avoid the self defense, 2nd amendment explanations. I don't think she's ready for that.

However, you say she's into archery. I would simply say "You know how much you enjoy shooting your bow??"

When she says yes, simply say "Well, that's how much I enjoy shooting."

I have a lot of guns and I've always stressed the enjoyment of shooting as my primary motivation.....as it truly is. Even an anti can't really mount a good argument against doing something that you enjoy.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts