close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

My New Years resolution is to do cardio(ugh). What's yours?

Discussion in 'Strength & Conditioning' started by S.O.Interceptor, Dec 30, 2009.

1. S.O.Interceptor

S.O.Interceptor Khem-Adam

Ya, I finally decided that I need to do some cardio. I HATE cardio, but I need to get a little quicker on the feet and build a little more endurance for my job. As much as I HATE doing it, I know that in the long run it'll make me a stronger lifter, a more well rounded athlete, and a better cop.

I'm going to do some 100 yard sprints one day, some distance running another, and then do a day of things such as high number of crunches, side bends, and knee lifts. Not to replace any lifting, but to supplement it. I'm not sure if I'll do it on days between my lifting days or do it after lifting. Probably on one of my "rest" days every week. Rotate each week from sprints, to distance, to body weight work.

Did I mention that I HATE doing that crap?

So what is your New Years resolution?

2. BradD

BradD

How 'bout mixing some tabata squats and 100 burpees races in there?

My resolution? Don't really have one. Just now starting up Wendler's 5/3/1, so that should get me through 2010 unless I get ADHD and move on to something else. Main issue for me is trying to stay uninjured throughout 2010.

3. S.O.Interceptor

Stand by while I Google "tabata" and "burpees". I'll get back to you once I figure out what the heck they are.

4. BradD

BradD

Probably the best conditioning / time ratio of about anything. An all-out, nothing left, tabata squats takes 3:50 and will leave one barely able to wheeze and stand up, LOL.

5. BradD

BradD

Dan John on tabatas:

http://www.tmuscle.com/free_online_...sionid=291340C199853151AC937FF435B40609.hydra

That last line always cracks me up. I'll never forget the first time I did a tabata squat workout. :rofl:

One of my bread-and-butter workouts is tabata pushups followed by tabata situps followed by tabata squats for 11:50 total.

6. BCR

BCR BIGASS!!!!

Still looking for a 300 bench and 500 pull. Getting pretty close.

And I plan on boosting my conditioning in a major way next year, and riding my bike more.

I already started with tabata squats the past couple weeks (ironically).

Toying with:

-dropping all supplements
    -doing 12-20 reps on everything
    -only lifting 3x week
    -living on Burger King Jr whoppers with cheese
    -doing 3 reps on everything:supergrin:

7. dotsun

dotsun Shark Stomper

Well BCR just crushed mine. :crying: My goals for 2010:

Bench: 250x1
    Squat: 350x1
    Deadlift: 400x1

If my joints will hold up that would finally get me into the 1000lb club. :wavey:

8. Eyescream

Eyescream hates you

Also google "fartleks" while you're at it.

9. GJ1981

GJ1981 Pitying Fools

I plan to get out of the gym and more towards Strongman training next year. I have a good selection of implements, so I just need a kick in the.

This year was plagued with setbacks and a backyard torn up by moles. Since I have to train in my back yard, walking with a heavy yoke/FW's through potholes is very tricky.

I have a few gym lifts I want to get

500# deficit DL (480 current from a 5" box)
    300# Axle press (right around 255 now) But this is a SM lift too.
    I'd like 365+ on the front squat (No idea where I am now, maybe 300ish)

10. BradD

BradD

Come one man, if you want to get 70sBig, then adding 3/day of the following to your normal food would be better:
    [​IMG]
    :rofl:

11. California Jack

California Jack Millennium Member

I plan to pull 500 pounds in 2010. I vow to run in a 5k. I want to finish the C2 rowing season with a top 10 500m row.

I only drink beer on Saturdays. I am toying with the idea of cutting back on that. I am not resolute on that one yet.

I need to check to see where my current best 500m would place me for 50 y/os.

12. BCR

BCR BIGASS!!!!

But the Jrs are only like $.99.

I'm frugal. :embarassed:

13. BCR

BCR BIGASS!!!!

I'm very excited for us both to hit a 500 pull.

And I 2nd the motion on nixing the beer.

14. S.O.Interceptor

Cardio is just my resolution. It's something I don't want to do but am forcing myself to promise to do it. I have several goals also. Such as:

Buying a power rack and finishing my home gym

Benching 300lbs

Deadlifting 450lbs

Squatting 350lbs

Military pressing 200lbs

Finding a local powerlifting competition and competing.

I think I can do all of the above in 2010 if I am allowed to maintain a regular schedule and don't get hurt. Of the goals listed, the military press will probably be the hardest. It's going well but as far as overall weight added, it's the slowest. Competing is something I wanted to do by the end of this year but it just couldn't happen. Between my shoulder injury, the baby, and an overall jacked up schedule from September till now, I didn't even come close to being ready.

15. BCR

BCR BIGASS!!!!

If there is one thing I hate, its when moles hinder my training. :supergrin:

That does suck.

Perhaps it can be like a slalom course.

16. TurboRocket

TurboRocket

I have no resolutions; just tweaked goals here and there.

1) Last year (I think), I hit at or slightly above 200, 300, 400, 400 on the press, bench, squat, and DL. My near term goal is still to hit 225, 315, 405, and 455, respectively. Longer term, all of these lifts in the "elite" category on Rip's strength chart for my BW. http://www.crossfit.com/cf-journal/WLSTANDARDS.pdf. The only lift in the elite category now is the press, so I have a loooonnnggg way to go, especially the DL.

2) I also want to run in a 5k this year. A friend's GF (both of whom now do Muay Thai with me) sort of convinced me to do more running. She is an Energizer Bunny and one day after class a couple of months ago, we were talking about running - she's training for her first half marathon and I was giving her my usual drivel of how much I hate long distance running, but I know it is good for me and very functional in real life.

3) Possibly enter my first kickboxing bout; although in Ohio, the state athletic commission commands more red tape for people my age, so not totally sure on this yet. The fact that I wear glasses and would have to drop a ton of weight may squash this desire.

4) Thinking about doing a PL meet but I have to see how my numbers stack up. I think I'm still shy to be competitive, but who knows.

5) Just for kicks, I might shoot for 300x20 on squats. 285 is too close not to even try for 300.

17. California Jack

Me too Brad. I don't even care which one of us gets there first as long as we both get there.

But, hold on there fella. :rofl: I didn't say I was nixing the suds, just cutting back in either frequency and/or volume.:embarassed: Or I may just switch to the red vino.

Last edited: Dec 31, 2009
  18. California Jack

Mike- You have very cool goals! Good luck!

19. TurboRocket

TurboRocket

Thanks... I'm "pulling" for you and BCR on the 500.

20. geminicricket

geminicricket NRA Life member

Happy New Year!

I went out this afternoon and purchased a treadmill. It is a BH Fitness model T8 Pro.

Therefore, my New Years Resolution is to pay for it and justify the purchase of it by using it every day.